Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is it, a sting op? (Read 175 times)
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
What is it, a sting op?
07/17/11 at 09:39:53

So yesterday I got all my auctions closed out, and one of them was for a shotgun.  It went for a steal-of-a-deal, I shoulda set the reserve higher, but whatever, I need the money.  

The winning bidder turned out to be this as-yet-unrated noob on the site.  He acts like a total idiot, types in all caps, and is trying to get me to just hand him the gun.  He says he's bought several guns at gun shows and never had a problem. Says he's got a concealed carry license and curio-relic license, etc etc, and he's totally legal to own the shotgun.  This raises a red flag with me since he claims to have a couple of gun licenses, but acts like he never heard of an FFL gun transfer.  The auction clearly stated how ownership is to be transferred, through a Federal Firearm Licensed shop.

Then the high-pressure stuff... oh, he's leaving for 2 weeks and must get this done today.. there'll be trouble if we wait for a gun shop to open, blah, blah blah.

I have a hard time believing anyone would be so stupid as to hand this yay-hoo a gun without any kind of reciept. Probably a BATFE agent on an entrapment sting.. jerk ruined my auction.

What should I do?  Obviously I'm not going to just meet the guy and give him the gun; I'd probably get cuffed 'n stuffed right there.  I guess I'll contact the next lower bidder and see if they still want it.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: What is it, a sting op?
Reply #1 - 07/17/11 at 09:55:50

Can you re-list it?... maybe put the higher reserve you want...
This guy is breaking the rules, so he's not a legitimate bidder...
In light of this,... I think you should be allowed to re-list...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/17/11 at 10:02:47

If you've already laid out the rules, set a time line for completion of his responsibilities and when doesn't meet them, you're free to do what you want.  Next time do as auto's do, non refundable down payment at close of auction to keep out the rif raf.

WWW   IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #3 - 07/17/11 at 10:51:42

Dont matter what the auction rules state, Firearms law trumps it. Make him go through an FFL licensed dealer or go away.
The BATF 'WILL' pull some of the most god awfull stuff to trip you up and put your neck in the noose. Even up to pseudo-illegal activities themselves. Seen it many times.
Make him do it your way or do buisness with the next lower bidder.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #4 - 07/17/11 at 11:18:26

Thanks for your replies, fellows.  I asked the "buyer"  several hours ago if his problems meant he intends to default on the sale.  No reply as of yet.  It's probably just an ATF troll.  I'll have to comb through the auction terms and determine exactly how soon after non-payment I can relist it.

Apparently this is common enough for the auction site to have an easy do-over feature, so it will cost me some time but little else.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/17/11 at 16:39:16

Dude, Id ratjher take some Negative REplies & make someone mad than wind up with the BATF on my front porch,, You do what you have to do to make SURE that guy is a LEGAL REsident,, & just a drivers license isnt enough,, In Texas, the feds GAVE an illegal alien a Tx license so he could buy a gun & send the seller to jail,, I would be Very Careful here,, you dont owe this guy anything,, its okay if you hurt his feelings or make him mad or make him cry,, your job is to stay outta trouble,, & the feds WILL trap people,,  I wouldnt want to sell to anyone I havent talked to face to face,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #6 - 07/18/11 at 02:19:20

I could regale you with some real horror stories the BATF have put completely legal firearms owners though over the last 10 years or so(since they got so much power during the clinton administration).
Blatant entrapment isnt above them. Its the Norm.
Nix the sale and relist it.
Stay within the firearms laws or it could well cost you a WHOLE LOT MORE then the price of the shotgun.
If you ship it, it HAS to go through a licensed FFL dealer unless your shipping it to a gunsmith for work.
They WILL pull a Sting on you!

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/18/11 at 11:00:45

I doubt it's a ATF sting (I don't think they are the competent), just someone trying to get a gun illegally, you're playing it smart.

IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #8 - 07/18/11 at 12:07:39

Boule’tard wrote on 07/17/11 at 09:39:53:
What should I do?  Obviously I'm not going to just meet the guy and give him the gun; I'd probably get cuffed 'n stuffed right there.  I guess I'll contact the next lower bidder and see if they still want it.

+1  If the winning bidder can't wait for a FFL transfer, then either offer it to the next highest bidder, or re-post the auction.  I wouldn't trust the guy on bit!  He knew the terms of the sale in the beginning.   Wink

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 07/18/11 at 12:37:24

Did you do this through Ebay?  I had one problem that I ended up using their Resolution Center.  I "threatened" with a claim (because they only give you a limited amount of time to file one) and still didn't get response from the seller, so I finally actually filed one.  Got resolution d@mn-near immediately.  You may mention to the seller that it might be best to let Ebay sort it out, and see what reaction you get.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #10 - 07/18/11 at 12:52:18

Probably auction arms, gunbroker or something similar.

Hold to your guns and cancel the bid. It's not worth it. You're a law abiding citizen and the auction winner sounds like he's not interested in the law.

I took possession of my Dad's off duty Colt from his wife a couple of months ago. Went down to Florida, we dropped it off at an FFL who sent it to my FFL up here. I went to pick it up with permit in hand. My FFL did the NICS and now it's mine. Did the same thing with his duty revolver last year. Simple procedure. Not cheap, but simple enough.

FSO
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #11 - 07/18/11 at 13:42:10

ROFL......DO NOT under estimate ANY govt agency. They have themoney, lawyers and manpower they can and WILL do about anything they want to.
They have a LOT of experiance setting up stings. Under estimate them at YOUR own risk.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #12 - 07/18/11 at 13:45:47

Thanks for the additional advice, folks.  I didn't use Ebay, it is a gun-specific site.  The winning bidder emailed saying he doesn't intend to default on the deal, and didn't say anything else.  So I said something to the effect of "great then, we're back to the original plan" and he didn't reply to that.  

I wish he'd just said NO DEAL! so I could re-list the thing sooner and it would be irrelevant if he was just trying to get me in trouble.  Now he'll string me along for 40 days, then I can re-list.  At that point I can file a Non-Baying Bidder report on him, which being his only feedback, will trash his reputation at that site.  With any luck, the site will be sophisticated enough to not let him start fresh with another account, and he won't know how to change his IP.

That all assumes it's just a dumb rube.  If it's the government, at this point they know they are not going to get me to trip up, and they're stringing me along just to be shitheads.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #13 - 07/18/11 at 20:57:56

PM the site owner or mod and tell em whats going on. Their NOT going to force you to do something illegal and they wont make you wait the 40 days.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:31:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › What is it, a sting op?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.