Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What would you do? (Read 74 times)
dv8savagerider

Ride safe!

Southern Michigan
What would you do?
07/18/11 at 18:13:37

Ok, I have been thinking about this for about a month now and would like to know what you all would have done.  I was coming home from work last month and had a car pull out in front of me and attempt to make a left hand turn.   The car was within 50 yards of me and just cruised out the driveway without stopping to look.  I was doing 55mph when I hit the brakes. I began to swerve but kept it upright.  The car stopped right in the middle of the road so I had nowhere to go and kept thinking that I was gonna be a 911 call.  There was a ditch on both sides of the road with quite a drop off so didnt want to go that route and didnt think I had time to lay it down and probably would have been the worse choice to make so I decided to "eat the car"  and had the bike down to about 15 mph at the time I would have hit and gone over the hood.  Thank God that at the last minute the car backed up just a little so I could scoot in front and ride the white line of the road with my tires and brush the front bumper with my right leg.  The car never stopped to check on me and kept driving after I passed.  I was ok except for the pucker factor of +100 and continued on home.  I just keep thinking did I make the right choice on what I made up my mind to do if I wouldnt have been able to scrape by in front on the car.  What would you have done and any experiences to share to help.   Thanks for reading everyone.

2001 Savage, Corbin seat, Jardine Rumbler Slashcut exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Ed L. 4" Fwd Controls, Stage 2 Carb Jet Kit
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: What would you do?
Reply #1 - 07/18/11 at 18:21:51

1st, I wouldn't be doing 55 in a residential lane and a half road.
2nd, normally you go for where they've been, the fact that he/she/it changed directions makes it tuff... to get off that seat w/o a couple of people to hold on to the bike   Grin  and leaverage   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
dv8savagerider

Ride safe!

Southern Michigan
Reply #2 - 07/18/11 at 18:27:00

Not a residential section- rural but thats beside the point.  Yeah, the change of direction and stopping in the middle of the road threw me a curve ball,  just glad it worked out and was able to walk/ ride away.

2001 Savage, Corbin seat, Jardine Rumbler Slashcut exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Ed L. 4" Fwd Controls, Stage 2 Carb Jet Kit
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/18/11 at 18:39:44

Didn't crash....   Good choice... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #4 - 07/18/11 at 18:40:44

Hey if you and your bike both came away scratch free, then you did the right thing. In those situations, survival is #1. It doesn't really matter how or why.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 07/18/11 at 19:17:23

Almost exactly the same thing happened to me the first week I had the bike ,only it was residential and I was going 35mph. They pulled out in front of me, looking me right in the face, and stopped, blocking the lane. I went behind the car.
Definitely a major pucker factor.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #6 - 07/18/11 at 20:37:11

Hind sight is 20/20. You made it through in one chunk so obviously you made a right choice.
Myself though, ill take a ditch before i try to 'eat a car'. The ground is so much more forgiveing then the side of some nimrods vehicle.
The biggest differance between a cruiser and a dirt bike is knobbies and ground clearance.
"MOST" ditchs you can ride it our or at least put it down. Less to fix and fewer broken bones then hitting a solid immoveable object or slideing on pavement.(Just avoid barbed wire fences...lol)

And the ONLY time id intentional put one down is to slide under a semi trailer(vs loseing your head) or to try and stay clear of a bad pileup i couldnt avoid. As long as you have some control you still got a chance. Put her down and gravity and velocity takes over.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 18:37:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › What would you do?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.