Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Disable all safety switches (Read 191 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Disable all safety switches
07/16/11 at 05:10:20

How would one go about bypassing (disabling) all the nanny-state safety items?

Clutch switch, sidestand switch, neutral switch.  Are there any others?

What I am thinking of is to have the bike (RYCA CS-1) act electrically like a bike of the 60s.  My Norton Atlas and Ducati Monza and Yamaha YM-1 and Honda CB-350 dint have no stinking badges safety crap on them.

I might consider just using a different (simpler) wiring harness altogether as described in other threads here, but for now I just want to get this thing roadworthy.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Disable all safety switches
Reply #1 - 07/16/11 at 05:23:19

Personally I like to make mods reversible, so I would short 'em all out with modified tap connectors. To modify just cut out the bit in the connector that the tap wire butts against so both wires will run right through the connector. To put it back to original remove the tap and seal the cuts in the insulation with liquid electrical tape. Easy peasy.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 07/16/11 at 06:00:35

arteacher wrote on 07/16/11 at 05:23:19:
Personally I like to make mods reversible, so I would short 'em all out with modified tap connectors. To modify just cut out the bit in the connector that the tap wire butts against so both wires will run right through the connector. To put it back to original remove the tap and seal the cuts in the insulation with liquid electrical tape. Easy peasy.

Sounds reasonable.  So I'd just install jumpers, so to speak, at all the switches so they act like they would if I were in neutral, sidestand up, clutch in,.. as if I were getting ready to start the thing.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 07/16/11 at 06:33:21

It would be cleaner if you followed the wires back till the taps weren't visible.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #4 - 07/16/11 at 06:42:51

Have a look at page 13 of Rpnsht's Ryca build thread.  He posted pics and talked us through how he removed these items as well as his decomp solendoid.  I found it helpful.  link... http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304297812/180

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 07/16/11 at 08:38:53

I wouldn't disable the sidestand switch. Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #6 - 07/16/11 at 12:46:09

Just short 'em and the bike will think the clutch is always in and the sidestand is always up.  

I'm not sure if it's the same on the Savage, but on the DR650 they use opposite-sex plugs on each wire that plugs into the harness, so you can just remove the clutch switch and plug the wires into each other.  No fuss, no muss.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 07/16/11 at 14:25:32

Boule’tard wrote on 07/16/11 at 12:46:09:
Just short 'em and the bike will think the clutch is always in and the sidestand is always up.  

I'm not sure if it's the same on the Savage, but on the DR650 they use opposite-sex plugs on each wire that plugs into the harness, so you can just remove the clutch switch and plug the wires into each other.  No fuss, no muss.

Sex plugs, eh?  This forum gets more and more interesting,.....

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 07/17/11 at 11:36:53

Savage isn't that fancy. Miniature speaker clips. Just cut the wires and twist them together with a small wire nut. Who cares if they ever work again? Even when I lived in MS and had to get inspected, those weren't a checked item. Not sure about the rest of the state, but the coast used to inspect bikes. Horn and lights? You pass.

My sidestand switch lasted a couple months at most. Just another useless bit of government interference, designed to fail, to sell more parts, to line more pockets. Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/17/11 at 13:00:59

It actually saved me once on another bike, that sidestand switch. I still disabled it on savage.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 07/17/11 at 13:15:03

In the past, I've used the starter motor to help get a stalled bike out of a mud pit...
... can't do that with a clutch cut-out...

Not that I'm going to get myself stuck in a mud pit again... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #11 - 07/17/11 at 19:41:58

As mentioned above, RpNSht's post gives good advice on how to remove the clutch switch and wiring and the side stand switch and wiring.  I still don't see anything on this site about deleting the decomp system and all the stuff that goes along with it.  Anyone know what to change in your harness?  Is it just as simple as unplugging and you're done? Or can you also delete the little boxes that deal with the decomp system?  Oh yeah...and the neutral switch as well.  I'm trying to make the stock harness as bar bones simple as possible.  I'll probably re wire this winter after I've learned a bit more about how this thing works.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:19:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Disable all safety switches

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.