Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Riding in the 100+ degrees (Read 344 times)
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Riding in the 100+ degrees
07/13/11 at 18:15:07

Do I need to be worried about running this aircooled thumper in the 100+ degree heat of Texas?  Is it built to do that or should I avoid it?  I generally keep moving and don't sit at any traffic lights where I usually ride.  

Today I got stuck at a construction traffic stop for at about 5 minutes so I turned it off after a minute when I started to worry about it over heating and not having a temperature gauge to monitor it.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Re: Riding in the 100+ degrees
Reply #1 - 07/13/11 at 18:26:38

Wow, you must be roasting while riding in that weather.  Do you wear gear/helmets in that weather?

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #2 - 07/13/11 at 18:32:12

Roasting, lol.  Full gear.  I have a nice Teknic jacket that is has a lot of peforation on the front and big vents on the back so if I keep moving It is bareable.

I have seen alot of people riding in shorts t-shirts and sneakers lately but I know the first time I try that I will go down, I have that kind of luck.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 07/13/11 at 18:38:17

MrBrown, congrats on being tough enough to ATGATT. I had to break that rule on July 2. 94-97 last week. Same this week and predicted next week. I wear boots and Kevlar padded jeans and an awful neon yellow shirt that seems to really work. It is so hot one of the fish in my pond wiggled up to my leaky hose faucet and just laid under the drip. Poor thing was covered in ticks, too.  Grin

« Last Edit: 07/14/11 at 00:46:25 by Boofer »  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
MikeRIC
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/13/11 at 20:19:06

It's been 95+ here for the past week and I've been riding (in full gear) with no noticeable issues.  Interested to hear from someone with technical info though!

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #5 - 07/13/11 at 20:36:41

Remember that when it's 100 it's hotter outside than your innards so you want some insulation.  I've got one of those bandana cooler things that you soak in cold water and it retains it for a while.  

As for the bike I think I would be sure to use a full synthetic oil that won't break down and you should be fine.  Oh darn I said the O word.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #6 - 07/13/11 at 20:47:19

I would say as long as your not in stop and go traffic  or gunning it full throttle between stop lights then you should be fine, just dont push it too hard.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/13/11 at 21:41:06

For personal comfort, a sports bottle, one that pumps up & has a spray nozzle, really helps. Damp clothes rolling down the road at 40 MPH is like an air conditioner compared to not being wt./.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 07/14/11 at 05:30:13

I sure don't know,.....but logical thinking tells me that even tho the engine feels much hotter at idle,  there is only a small fire at idle, which doesn't need near as much cooling as a big fire does at....60.
Not saying it doesn't run hotter at low speed and idle, but I would never believe it is "overheating" as such.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #9 - 07/14/11 at 08:00:29

I had a shi77y car with shi77y cooling long ago and whenever I would go under 30mph it would slowly start to overheat, over 30mph it would cool off again. So wind speed has to be an even bigger factor with exposed air cooled engine. Run the Savage idle long enough and it will cease. In hot summer weather I raise the idle a tiny bit.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 07/14/11 at 19:35:53

The Savage can take it. What we need to do is keep the rider hydrated. I took water with me on my little three hour trip, but I only had about 16 oz during my one stop for gas. that night I ended up drinking bottle after bottle. I was so thirsty. I kept misplacing my keys, forgetting what I was doing, and being distracted in general. Part of it was being tired, but it usually doesn't cause those problems. Hydration is important. Don't forget it. I won't again.   Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #11 - 07/15/11 at 00:36:36

Go to wal-mart and in the sporting goods section you can get those neck wraps you toss in the frig. Give em a good soaking then toss em in the frig or freezer. They keep you nice n cool on a ride.
Its a good idea to drink some gatorade or other sports drink, about half n half with water to stay hydrated. You not only needs the liquid you also need the salts and other minerals you sweat out.
For the quick fix salt tablets work well.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 07/15/11 at 02:17:54

I bought my bike back in 98 at a dealership owned/operated by former racers. In Mississippi. They recommended running 20W50 when the outside temps were over 85 or so. I did so, without overheat/oil loss issues. Screwed up and ran 10W40 full synthetic in the heat, once. Oil lasted from Memphis TN to Sturgis MS, and the well was dry.

I don't ride in this kind of weather anymore. Heat index has been up around 110 for awhile. Won't even ride Lisa's water cooled Intruder in this heat. The bikes can take it, the body can't. Even with a 1/2 helmet, just too hot.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 07/15/11 at 12:20:48

My bike handles it better than I do.... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 07/15/11 at 12:43:31

Wnna see a bike overheat? Watch a Harley in a long parade., thst rear cylinder gets HOT..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:18:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riding in the 100+ degrees

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.