Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need to pull the fr/rr hub wheel bearings (Read 82 times)
randyradio

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Need to pull the fr/rr hub wheel bearings
07/11/11 at 19:31:35

OK,  I've ordered a shop manual but meanwhile  I've gotta get my fr/rr hubs over to a powder coating shop in my area and I guess need to pull the wheel bearings.  How's that done?  They are in good shape but I guess due to the near400 degree baking process I'd believe they need to come out.  Is it doable at home?

Randy in GA.  My name has hit the list for RYCA build so I think some hubs and more done in satin powder coat would be super.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Need to pull the fr/rr hub wheel bearings
Reply #1 - 07/11/11 at 19:46:32

Remove the wheel carefully and keep up with the spacers. A good way is to use a wooden dowel with a left mark and right mark on the end. Slide the spacers on this. You can  use the axle of course if you keep them in order as they come out. Lay the wheel onto a couple of 4x4 wood blocks and be careful of the rotor disc. Do not warp it. A brass or even a hard wooden dowel can tap the bearings out from the opposite side by carefull going around it and tapping with a hammer. Just picture tapping the bottom bearing out from the top with the wheel lying down, then flip it over and tap the other side out. Be patient and it should work. Go to Babbitt's or Ron Ayres for an exploded view to help Never done this bike, but it works the same on most.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 07/12/11 at 04:54:30

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
randyradio

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/12/11 at 07:08:36

Thanks Routy,  I saw that one just this week and forgot about it.  BTW I called a bearing house in my little town and they had those 6302 ZZ bearings in stock.  they had 45 of them in Atlanta and could get them down in a day.  But they only cost $8.88 each.  I bet the dealers shoot you in the feet alot more for these.

Whatta list of great folks.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/12/11 at 07:27:12

I know nothing about powder coating.  Will you be able to mask the bearing seats to keep that stuff out of there?  The bearings are a VERY tight fit to the seat.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
randyradio

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/12/11 at 11:00:44

Well,  I believe I'll just sand and buff out the wheel hubs and not powder coat them.  All the side covers are already polished too.  AND I ordered this product the hotrodders know about called Shine Seal.  it somehow seals the polished aluminum they say to keep it looking sharp a few years.  I ordered it today.  this buffing and polishing....like some kinda motorcycle marine corps thingie.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:23:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need to pull the fr/rr hub wheel bearings

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.