Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ryca handling (Read 220 times)
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ryca handling
07/07/11 at 20:41:04

Everyone is so involved in building these bikes that no one has ever commented on how the things ride and handle. Can anyone give me a clue as to what it's like to ride one?
Dave

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Re: Ryca handling
Reply #1 - 07/08/11 at 04:51:58

well, here is my 2 cents.
on a positive side, its got much better cornering ability and the significant weight loss makes it much more nimble than stock. The rearsets are in a very comfortable position.

On a negative side, the padding on the seat is less than perfect, so my butt hurts a little after about 20 miles. The side covers stick out a little further than the seats do on either side, so the inner aspect of my thighs rests on hard plastic covers, which causes some minor soreness. The handlebars are low and they vibrate and cause my hands to become sore and numb after a while. My front end is a touch too firm, so its a very bumpy ride.

I knew there would be negative issues going into this. Its a cafe racer, so what do you expect? I will say this, it gets tons and tons of attention. I took the bike to a local bike gathering that happens every wednesday night at a local bar restaurant. There were about 600 bikes there and mine seemed to draw the most attention by far- and this is next to custom harleys, aprilias, triumphs, big dogs, etc.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 07/08/11 at 05:17:34

In truth, we will not know anything concrete about the Ryca's supposedly improved handling until one shows up at the Dragon to go head to head with MMRanch and Bigzuk.

My betting money sez MMRanch eats it alive using a stock LS with a car tire on the back end of it.  Bigzuk may or may not, depending on how frisky he is feeling on that particular day, or if he has offspring there that he has to show a good example of rational behavior to.

But me, I will never know, personally, as I won't be there to see it.

Grin   Yep, you NC Ryca boys have done had the gauntlet tossed down at yer feet fer next year's Dragon Run .....  

How do you correctly pronounce "Ryca"?

Toymaker, for the obligatory tombstone poetry -- what rhymes with Ryca?    Flicka?   Pike-a?   Ca-ca?  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #3 - 07/08/11 at 09:01:35

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/08/11 at 05:17:34:

Toymaker, for the obligatory tombstone poetry -- what rhymes with Ryca?    Flicka?   Pike-a?   Ca-ca?  

My guess is Rike-ah as it is taken from the first names of the two guys, Ryan and Casey but could be Rykay.

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/08/11 at 10:57:31

with the ryca conversion the bike is a lot leaner and more compact, giving the bike a lighter and sportier feel. im not running side panels so i dont have any issues with that. i can tuck in and get real tight if needed.

the seat isnt anything to write home about as one wont make it that far from home on this bike (tank size etc). but i dont think anyone who is doing the ryca conversion really expected to go long distances. im ripping los angeles street traffic and it exceeds expectations. its nimble allowing me to split traffic and/or get out of the way if needed. the increase in horse power due to the re-jetting in the carb, k&n air filter, and new exhaust, really makes a difference, especially off the line. so far ive only had it up to around 80-90mph (i dont know for sure as my chain conversion has thrown my speedo off) @ 5k rpm and still had throttle left.

the most drastic changes are the lowered front end which is a bit more  rigid then stock and the repositioning of the seat. both of these turn the bike from a cruiser to a sport bike like feel with sport bike like handling. the bike shakes, rattles, and rolls- its a vibrating beast for sure. everything is felt; from the road to the huge gigantic cylinder doing its thing; riding the ryca is a work out and not for the weak. but this is a motorcycle and the labor of traversing the earth on it comes at a price. if one wants supreme comfort get a maybach or something. as for me, im sticking with the ryca cs-1, its more than the bike i was expecting and the interest it gathers based on its aesthetics alone, not to mention the v8 sounding exhaust doesnt hurt either!  Grin

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/08/11 at 11:00:12

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/08/11 at 05:17:34:

In truth, we will not know anything concrete about the Ryca's supposedly improved handling until one shows up at the Dragon to go head to head with MMRanch and Bigzuk.

My betting money sez MMRanch eats it alive using a stock LS with a car tire on the back end of it.  Bigzuk may or may not, depending on how frisky he is feeling on that particular day, or if he has offspring there that he has to show a good example of rational behavior to.

But me, I will never know, personally, as I won't be there to see it.

Grin   Yep, you NC Ryca boys have done had the gauntlet tossed down at yer feet fer next year's Dragon Run .....  

easy oldfella, i may just come to nc and slay the dragon with my ryca, showing how us youngfellas from so cal rip  Wink

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 07/08/11 at 12:12:06

wheelchairstuntn wrote on 07/08/11 at 10:57:31:
the bike shakes, rattles, and rolls- its a vibrating beast for sure. everything is felt; from the road to the huge gigantic cylinder doing its thing; riding the ryca is a work out and not for the weak.

I didn't feel like I was old, but based on that description I think I like the stock bike better. In fact, I'm putting on extended forward controls to stretch my feet out more and think it will be even more comfortable. I guess I'm more after the lay-z-boy comfy cruiser than the sportbike effen a monkey  Cool

Glad you are enjoying it though, they are unique looking bikes.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 07/08/11 at 16:32:36

RipN"

"Surely a young feller like yourself can do him a fine job of whuppin' up on a couple of feeble old geezers riding on grandma bikes ...."

Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin

Testosterone and youth speaks loudly, but post testosterone cunning is what wins them narsty wiggley road rides.

My bike revs up very smmoothly in each gear and my suspension buffers out all the little road irregularities when going around hard fast tight sweepers ....

Ryca honor is at stake now,  you Ryca boys need to find a Ryca within reach and have a representative to be there to hold up yer flag of honor.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #8 - 07/08/11 at 16:49:01

I'm probably asking a silly question but wth is the "dragon"?

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #9 - 07/08/11 at 17:03:40

The Tail of the dragon......google it

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 07/08/11 at 17:16:02

The Dragon is way way too patrolled to be our real race way  ('cept real early in the morning before the cops and the photographers show up)

Google Cherohala Skyway to see the 55 mph posted more empty road that we actually go Hurley hunt'n upon.

People get really really stressed when you pass them on the Dragon as they are going jest as fast as they dare when you wheel on past them, taking up lane space and distracting them with potential death scenarios.

Big Zuk gets himself blessed out all the time about his evil Dragon shenanigans going over double yellow lines and splitting lanes and such nonsense while passing on curves, etc.   Goldwingers always seem to catch up and find him at the Hotel as they can easily spot his bike.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #11 - 07/08/11 at 17:50:05

yeah after I asked I found it on youtube. Looks pretty cool.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 07/12/11 at 09:21:55

Next opportunity for Ryca to strut its stuff at the Dragon is first week of August -- go to the Dragon thread at the top of the Cafe to sign up.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:22:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ryca handling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.