Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Carb screws
Reply #30 - 08/13/11 at 20:49:34

In addition to the many good techniques that have already been shared here:

My usual technique with the screws on Japanese carbs is to use care when unscrewing them for the first time, as they're generally stuck on there pretty good and it is easy to foul the heads.

I use a JIS screwdriver on them:

If the screws are particularly obstinate, I use some Grip Doctor I've had banging around the garage for years:

I've heard that valve lapping compound, or even Ajax or Comet abrasive cleaners work well, too.

If I did not damage the OEM carb screws on removal, I reuse them.  When I put the screws back in, I always treat the threads with some Anti-Seize.  I make sure some of the Anti-Seize gets smeared underneath the screw head....something I never do for any other application.  I never have any problems after that.

JM2CW!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #31 - 08/13/11 at 20:52:49

As long as we're talking about stubborn little screws, does anyone have any experience with one of these?:

Screw Pliers

Sure looks like the ticket....IF it works as advertised!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #32 - 08/13/11 at 21:12:00

Id try it, but I wouldnt be shocked if it didnt work as well as I Wished it would.

Heey Now!! Next ime Im struggling with a crummy screw, I may just JB weld a screwdriver tip in it,, then come rip it out tomorrow,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:15:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb screws

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.