Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
S40 to replace my Sportster? (Read 172 times)
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
S40 to replace my Sportster?
08/12/11 at 22:00:08

We are moving very soon (Sept 5th) from Puyallup, Wa. , to the Big Island of Hawaii. We care shiiping my wifes scooter- a SYM HD200, as the dealer wouldn't offer much to buy it. So, I can't take my 2006 XL883 as there won't be room in the Relocube we are going to use. To ship just the Sportster would be about $1400. So, I can get $3500 from a local HD dealer, and I'm thinking of getting a new S40 on the island.

I've ridden a lot of motorcycles over 50 years of riding, but never had a chance to ride a Savage/S40. Any Sportster riders that also own an S40? I like thumpers and have owned some single cylinder dual sport thumpers over the years.

I know the S40 is a lot lighter than an XL. The XLs have gained a lot of weight since the redesign in 2004. Lighter is better. I wish the S40 had a bigger gas tank. I have gworn to really like the belt drive on my XL. The darn thing just never seems to even need adjusting.

I won't be doing any two-up riding, as my wife has discovered how fun riding her own bike is (the SYM scooter).  I think the S40 would be a good bike for me on the island. Mostly 50-55 mph tops on the main highways.

I do have to say my XL has been quite reliable. I'm aware of the cam chain tensioner issue on the Suzuki.

Jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: S40 to replace my Sportster?
Reply #1 - 08/12/11 at 22:59:59

you ought to look up some our riders in your area...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304436941

and when you get to the big island, look up Phelonius...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1290650189/0

WWW   IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #2 - 08/13/11 at 00:00:47

How tall are you jjn?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/13/11 at 01:31:32

If you can find Savage Wahine, youll have a mechanic who can sew. I cant believe all that woman can do. She is very capable, rebuilt her forks, built a nice tank bib, & IIRC, is involved in theater, building props> Anyone remember?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 08/13/11 at 01:36:23

I think she relocated to Washington

IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Reply #5 - 08/13/11 at 07:52:50

I'm about 5'9" opr 5'10". Ya shrink a bit as ya get older (57).

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Reply #6 - 08/13/11 at 07:55:04

Anoher reason I'm looking at the Suzuki is that there is a dealer in Hilo about 20 minutes away. The Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha dealer is about 125 miles away in Kona. If I need any parts it's nice to have a Suzuki dealer nearby.
    JJN

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
HJH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheyenne, WY
Reply #7 - 08/13/11 at 10:59:08

I won a 2001 XL 1200, and rode it for about 3 years, but got arthritis in my left hand and a new right shoulder and couldn't handle the Harley clutch pull any more or the weight of the bike, plus I never could figure out what color rag to wear on my head, so I sold it.   Without the physical problems, I'd probably have kept it.  It is much easier for me(5'7", 160 lbs) to ride the Savage(S40), since it has gone on a 200 pound diet from the Harley, the seat is lower, and it has lots of torque, so it is great to run around town.   I would not use it as a touring bike, but having been on the Big Island, I think you would find it works well on the roads there.  You will have to get used to the power sign-off at about 75-85 mph, but they don't want you going those speeds on the island anyway.  Ditto the smaller gas tank and the lack of an tripmeter, unless they have fixed that on the S40.  You will also have to get used to the lack of sound from the muffler, unless you do what many of us have done and slap a Dyna or Sportster take-off muffler on it and re-jet.  Then you should hear the familiar Harley rumble from the S40, too.  My Sportster had the same back-firing/popping exhaust as the Savage/S40 because it was jetted lean for emission control, too, so that should be familiar to you.
Of course, you will have to endure the constant questions from the Harley boys about why you didn't buy a "real motorcycle".  On the other hand, with the large number of Orientals on the islands, I suspect you will see more Japanes bikes anyway.

Silver '02, Dyna, Raptor Petcock, VM carb at 6000 ft, Q2 needle, 12.5 pilot, 170 main, UFO, Verslavy, Pirelli 150/90, Plexistar 2 Windshield, K&N filter, Tourmaster II bag, Progressive Shocks
  IP Logged
phillyfanatik
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/13/11 at 11:19:03

I have a 2006 s40 with 3000 miles and its my first bike.I bought it to learn on so im getting a new bike next summer.I was thinking about a 1200 but the 883 seems like the next best step. It sounds to me like we should work something out.Plus i could tell the old lady that you made it so that i couldnt pass it up. Grin

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #9 - 08/13/11 at 15:00:30

Personally, if I had the choice, I'd keep the Sportster.

IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Reply #10 - 08/13/11 at 20:30:55

Just sold the Sportster about an hour ago. Some nice folks bought it for their son. Now it's settled. Hated to see it go, but just couldn't deal with $1400 to ship it.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 08/13/11 at 20:33:08

Yea,, thats pretty pricey,, I know Ive never moved that I had more $$$ than I needed,, 14 hundies can always go somewhere else,, good call,, painful, but smart.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:21:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 to replace my Sportster?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.