Carb screws (Read 329 times)
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Re: Carb screws
Reply #15 - 07/10/11 at 16:30:37

Do you guys apply any loctite when reassembling?

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 07/10/11 at 17:39:47

verslagen1 wrote on 07/10/11 at 16:24:18:
Routy wrote on 07/10/11 at 16:11:15:
I find it strange out of all these posts, not one word mentioned about using a little impact driver,.....when in reality it would have done the trick right from the get-go ! If you don't have one, get one.

I know, it hard to use an impact driver w/o removing the carb from the engine. But once its off, an impact driver is the dog's bark !....or is it the cat's meow ? Shocked

be sure to support the tab the screw is on or you'll break it off with the impact driver.   Grin  maybe why no one's mentioned it.   Cool

Very true.  Impact drivers can be brutal.  Besides, with soft-headed screws like these that are, in effect, welded to the carb body, using an impact driver will make quick work of the screw head -- it'll look like you took a drill bit to it.  Been there, done that more than once  Sad

Then, your last resort is to dremel (or chisel) a slot in the head and use a big fat flat screwdriver with vise grips on the handle and a 310lb buddy to push down on the screwdriver while you put the torque on it with the vice grips.   Tongue

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #17 - 07/10/11 at 17:45:34

Edgar wrote on 07/10/11 at 16:30:37:

Call me crazy, but I use RTV.  

The real benefit to loctite is to seal the threads so they don't come loose from increased clearances due to intergranular corrosion caused by the different metallurgy of the nut and bolt.  It is not primarily used as glue.

RTV seals the threads too, and sort of glues the threads, but it never bonds so hard that you can't take it apart later.  It has pretty good heat resistance (especially the high temp type) and it keeps anything it is on from rusting.

RTV is WWWWAAAAYYYYYYY cheaper, too.  Kinda messy, though.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 07/10/11 at 18:07:12

Edgar wrote on 07/10/11 at 16:30:37:

no

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 07/10/11 at 18:08:33

Gyrobob wrote on 07/10/11 at 17:39:47:
verslagen1 wrote on 07/10/11 at 16:24:18:
Routy wrote on 07/10/11 at 16:11:15:
I find it strange out of all these posts, not one word mentioned about using a little impact driver,.....when in reality it would have done the trick right from the get-go ! If you don't have one, get one.

I know, it hard to use an impact driver w/o removing the carb from the engine. But once its off, an impact driver is the dog's bark !....or is it the cat's meow ? Shocked

be sure to support the tab the screw is on or you'll break it off with the impact driver.   Grin  maybe why no one's mentioned it.   Cool

Very true.  Impact drivers can be brutal.  Besides, with soft-headed screws like these that are, in effect, welded to the carb body, using an impact driver will make quick work of the screw head -- it'll look like you took a drill bit to it.  Been there, done that more than once  Sad

Then, your last resort is to dremel (or chisel) a slot in the head and use a big fat flat screwdriver with vise grips on the handle and a 310lb buddy to push down on the screwdriver while you put the torque on it with the vice grips.   Tongue

If you got vice grips... and the head is still on the screw... whadayaneed a screwdriver for?  Just use the vice grips on the head.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #20 - 07/10/11 at 20:30:32

Quote:
If you got vice grips... and the head is still on the screw... whadayaneed a screwdriver for?  Just use the vice grips on the head.

One normal progression for these situations is:

1. Try real hard to get the phillips head screw out with a screwdriver.

2. Utter a few expletives about the stupid f***ing screw that now has its slots rounded out.

3. The set of vise grips you have weighs about 5 pounds and is more suited to working on bridges, but one works with what one has, eh?

4. You clamp the vice grips on the 1/4" diameter screw head, partially crushing it, but that's okay because you want to get a good grip on it.

5. You start to move the vise grips counterclockwise (right? Undecided).  It just starts to move, and SPLING!!,.. it lets go of the screw, leaving the screwhead looking quite mangled and shaped somewhat like an upside down cone.

6. You reapply the vise grips, further deforming the head but you are not dismayed because you will toss this screw once you get it out.

7. SPLING!!! the vise grips pop off all by themselves.

8. The screwhead has lost about 2/3 of its mass.  There is very little left to grab.

9.  Find the dremel tool, cut a slot in what is left in the head, and go find Bubba.  

10. Apply the vise grips to a big fat screwdriver while Bubba holds the screwdriver down in the slot.  Torque out the screw.  

11. Give Bubba a beer.

OR

Skip steps 1 thru 11,... Use a little heat and a flat faced punch, and jiggle the screw loose so's you can back it out normally with a screwdriver.  No expletives, no beer for Bubba.

IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #21 - 07/10/11 at 20:41:43

hahaha...Thanks Gyro!

delucaja   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 07/10/11 at 21:36:46

I suppose since the newb can't handle a pair of vice grips, one would wonder if they can handle a screwdriver or a dremel or a torch.

they should stick to sucking down beer and take the bike to the stealership.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #23 - 07/11/11 at 05:09:45

verslagen1 wrote on 07/10/11 at 21:36:46:
I suppose since the newb can't handle a pair of vice grips, one would wonder if they can handle a screwdriver or a dremel or a torch.

they should stick to sucking down beer and take the bike to the stealership.

Sound advice, based on two time-honored axioms:
    1. One must know one's limitations.
    2. One must maintain an awareness of the big picture.

IP Logged
Scott2.0
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Detroit
Reply #24 - 07/11/11 at 05:32:58

verslagen1 wrote on 07/10/11 at 21:36:46:

I actually said I WAS able to get them off with vice grips after spraying the crap out of them with PB Blaster.  I tried before without it and couldn't get them, hence the post.  

2004 Savage, HD muffler, K&N, white spacer mod, 152.5 main, 55 pilot.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #25 - 07/11/11 at 06:46:48

The sad reality is that an experienced person doesen't have a problem getting the screws out. The very simple trick is to not let the heads of the screws get messed up in the first place ! The second you've let a screwdriver slip on a screw, you have not only made a mistake, but you have also shown gross inexperience.
And I get tired of hearing about the "soft headed screws" These screws are no softer than any other mild steel grade 3 screw. But it does make for a good excuse for the inexperienced.

I wrote a post on how to get carb screws out w/o damaging the screw heads,......lotta good that did. But in short, the simple trick is,....apply enough pressure to the driver that it has no chance of slipping ! If you find there is no way of doing that, you just made your first mistake.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 07/11/11 at 08:09:46

& theyre not #2 phillips,, the right tool helps, Im sure, I was able to get them with a #2,, but, Ive got years of experience handling screws that arent being nice.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BillF6531
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reply #27 - 07/11/11 at 08:38:10

If there is any resistance when removing the the screw, and any suggestion that further attempt will destroy the head - it's not Phillips, it's JIS - I move on to Plan B. That involves using a Phillips bit of the correct size mounted in my electric drill - in reverse mode. Downward pressure and the sudden impact quickly removes the screw. On the odd occasion I've damaged the head doing this. Plan C is the same, but with the drill in forward mode. This never fails, since the shock breaks the head off of the screw, and the remaining stud can be removed with your fingers. Works for me.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 - Pearl White <=== a real beauty!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 07/11/11 at 08:41:11

A pin punch can be used to put the metal back where it goes if a screwdriver slips some,, unless the metal gets sheered off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #29 - 07/12/11 at 10:16:47

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/11/11 at 08:41:11:
A pin punch can be used to put the metal back where it goes if a screwdriver slips some,, unless the metal gets sheered off.

Yes, you can "sculpt" the metal around the slots back into place, but it only looks nice, it is not back to original strength. I have done this many times to hide my hamfistedness with the screwdriver.  

The metal you pushed back into place, though, is just a trifle stronger than pudding.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:19:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb screws

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.