Carb screws (Read 329 times)
Scott2.0
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Detroit
Carb screws
07/10/11 at 09:53:46

I finally got the carb off for the first time and rejetted and now I've flipped the thing over trying to take out the four screws to access the white spacer.  These screws will not budge and I'm afraid I'm going to strip them.  Any advice?  Thanks in advance!

2004 Savage, HD muffler, K&N, white spacer mod, 152.5 main, 55 pilot.
  IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Re: Carb screws
Reply #1 - 07/10/11 at 10:00:41

Soak with some WD-40 or PB Blaster and try some channel locks or vise grips on the sides of them.  There's also a method using a flat punch on them, but I had good luck with blaster and channel locks.  After you get them out, bring them to Home Depot or Lowe's or Ace Hardware and repalce them with some stainless instead of that crappy brass.  Four new screws would cost like $4 for stainless...I wanna say they were M4, but any of those stores should have a thread checker.  Probably wouldn't hurt to replace the ones on the transient enrichment valve cover and the ones on the float bowl...

delucaja   IP Logged
Scott2.0
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Detroit
Reply #2 - 07/10/11 at 10:07:19

Thanks for the advice.  I've tried WD-40 with no luck although I'm not too surprised.  I'm off to get some PB Blaster and will pray that the channel locks work.  I've already managed to strip one pretty badly (so pissed at myself).  Thanks again.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/10/11 at 10:45:54

They arent #2 Phillips, either.. some kinda JIS sumthin er other..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/10/11 at 11:14:01

Scott2.0 wrote on 07/10/11 at 10:07:19:
Thanks for the advice.  I've tried WD-40 with no luck although I'm not too surprised.  I'm off to get some PB Blaster and will pray that the channel locks work.  I've already managed to strip one pretty badly (so pissed at myself).  Thanks again.

very common, the thread lock used is akin to the red stuff.  very tough to get off.  there's a ss carb screw set kit made up by motobuda? in the marketplace.

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #5 - 07/10/11 at 11:24:39

I used pliers, from the side, to get the screws out. Squeeze hard enough to leave dents in the screw heads, then turn.

And, yeah, I have sets of stainless steel socket heads screws to replace the stock ones. Bargain price. (Shameless self promoting)

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1307376830/0#4

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 07/10/11 at 11:46:12

Scott2.0 wrote on 07/10/11 at 09:53:46:
I finally got the carb off for the first time and rejetted and now I've flipped the thing over trying to take out the four screws to access the white spacer.  These screws will not budge and I'm afraid I'm going to strip them.  Any advice?  Thanks in advance!  

If you've already munged up the screw heads, this technique might not be so important, aside from the fact it will get the screws out.  I have an obsession (one of my many personality defects) about messing up screw heads, rounding of nut faces, putting wrench scratches on nearby surfaces, kinking things etc., so I was pleased to have been taught this trick decades ago by a mechanic that used to work on space equipment way back when. It's big advantage to me is that it will get the screw out without destroying the screw head.  

I'll admit, though, sometimes this doesn't work, and you may have to resort to using huge pliers or vice-grips to crimp the head enough to put enough torque on it to get it out.  Bye bye screw head,,....go to the parts store to buy replacement parts

Anyway,.. put the carb in a vise thusly:

Get a flat faced punch.  A thick nail with the point filed flat will do nicely.  Put the tip of the punch on the side of the screw head as shown in the pic.  Tap the punch a few times.  Then move it 90 degrees or so,.. tap some more.  Keep moving the punch around as you tap and soon you will see a tiny bit of movement as the screw head moves from side to side.  At this point, the thing is loose enough to unscrew.

I doubt WD-40 will do much to loosen up red lock-tight.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/10/11 at 11:53:58

Please note the soft jaw protectors in the above photo.

and PB blasters has been known to work with the suzuki thread locker.

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #8 - 07/10/11 at 12:13:14

verslagen1 wrote on 07/10/11 at 11:53:58:
and PB blasters has been known to work with the suzuki thread locker.

Also heat. A palm sized butane torch aimed at the screw head. The bolt gets hot and softens the thread locker.

But maybe the reason I didn't have problems with any of my carb screws was that I had soaked the whole thing in this overnight:

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/10/11 at 12:29:12

My vote goes to vice grips and replace with allen heads. M4 it is.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #10 - 07/10/11 at 13:42:20

M4 on the transient enrichment valve cover, but not the other screws.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 07/10/11 at 13:58:09

I have a little butane powered soldering iron I got at Lowes for less tha 15 Bux,, Take the soldering tip off & use it as an open flame, thats how I solder with it,,
A boogered up screw can be repaired with a pin punch & a careflully applied light hammer, the metal can be driven back where it came from,, &, the screw loosens at the same time,

WD40 isnt near the penetrating oil that Kroil or just plain Wintergreen OIl is.. I dont even keep WD40 now, since the propellant wont mke an engine fire off,, that stuffs about worthless, IMO. Unless you need Water Displacing spray,, then, its the berries..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Scott2.0
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Detroit
Reply #12 - 07/10/11 at 14:21:07

Guys thanks for all the advice.  PB Blaster and a pair of vice grips did the trick.  I was ready to shoot myself for a minute.  Thanks for coming through!

While an enormous pain in the ass for someone mechanically uninclined (word?) like myself, rejetting and doing the white spacer mod has turned sleepy Sally into a bike that's now almost deserving of being called a Savage.  Throttle response is much improved, it feels peppier and even during hard 1-2 shifts there's no longer any backfiring.  

For those interested, I used a 55 pilot (without bleed holes), 152.5 main, and 2 #4 washers in place of the white spacer.  I have a HD muff and de-snorkeled using a stock filter/box setup.  I have a K&N on order.  Thanks again!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 07/10/11 at 16:11:15

I find it strange out of all these posts, not one word mentioned about using a little impact driver,.....when in reality it would have done the trick right from the get-go ! If you don't have one, get one.

I know, it hard to use an impact driver w/o removing the carb from the engine. But once its off, an impact driver is the dog's bark !....or is it the cat's meow ? Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 07/10/11 at 16:24:18

Routy wrote on 07/10/11 at 16:11:15:
I find it strange out of all these posts, not one word mentioned about using a little impact driver,.....when in reality it would have done the trick right from the get-go ! If you don't have one, get one.

I know, it hard to use an impact driver w/o removing the carb from the engine. But once its off, an impact driver is the dog's bark !....or is it the cat's meow ? Shocked

be sure to support the tab the screw is on or you'll break it off with the impact driver.   Grin  maybe why no one's mentioned it.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:39:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb screws

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.