Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Yes, another Newbie with questions.... (Read 148 times)
Senga
YaBB Newbies

I used to be a
Rebel, but now I'm a
SAVAGE!

Oxford, MI
Yes, another Newbie with questions....
07/05/11 at 16:22:51

I apologize as I'm sure all these questions have been answered a million times...

I just picked up a 2001 Savage on Saturday as a step up from my 250 Rebel (I just started riding last September).  Over the weekend we rode approx. 200 miles and the bike was great!  I love the additional power and can actually come close to keeping up with my husband's Harley.

There were a couple of things that I did notice.  First, the seat.  I wouldn't have called the Rebel's seat luxurious by any means, but this one just has to go.  This badonkadonk needs a little more contouring or something. Grin   From what I can tell it seems that the Corbin is the way to go, but I would love to hear other suggestions if they're out there.  I'm 5'3", with a 30" inseam, so the height isn't too much of an issue.

Second, one of my major complaints about the Rebel was that it sounded like a lawn mower.  I was really looking forward to something with a little more ummpphh.  Boy, was I surprised to learn that this one sounds like a go-kart.  Not much of a move up.  It also tends to backfire.  Are there any recommendations for the exhaust?

Again, sorry for the dumb questions, but hey, what are Newbies for? Wink

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Re: Yes, another Newbie with questions....
Reply #1 - 07/05/11 at 17:06:07

Most of your questions have dedicated areas in the technical section of this forum; just go to the table of contents with index and you should find a pile of info about seat and exhaust mods and replacements.  Some are pricey, others not so much.

As far as the exhaust note goes, a lot of aftermarket cans will give a louder / more aggressive sound, but a thumper ain't ever gonna sound like a V.  I personally like the single thump more than V's or Inline/ Parallel's, but what do I know.....

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 07/05/11 at 17:12:30

Wow. 1st--either you have long legs or I have short ones. I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam.
Anyways, the seat. Yes they suck. I have gotten pretty much used to mine after raising the front. Lots of folks here do use the Corbin. There are other options if you search under "seat mods", or look in tech section.
Exhaust--many options but again, the OE one sucks. I have a used Harley muffler with the baffle knocked out. Some guys have Supertrapp, or Jardine. Again, the tech section has a wealth of knowledge and how-to's. Check it out.
And welcome to the Savage world.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/05/11 at 17:38:58

Wow. 1st--either you have long legs or I have short ones. I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam.

Looka that picture,, click on it & then hit it again,,, look where those knees come to on the tank,,, that girl has some stems..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 07/05/11 at 17:57:58

Senga, Welcome. I put 1 1/2" memory foam inside on top of original foam in my seat. Solved it for me. Technical section has more ideas. Harley Night Train muffler goes on with no problem and no offset adapter. But it is not loud. And it's a thumper--so only so much you can do. Don't let the husband on the Savage, or you will notice your Savage is always gone and the husband's boat anchor is sitting in its place collecting dust.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/05/11 at 18:04:31

Seat mod...  I went 2" on this,... much better...   I'm 5-8" w/ 32" inseam...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1109035237

Harley muffler...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298689417

Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #6 - 07/06/11 at 16:39:01

A relatively easy seat mod is to cut away some of the original foam and replace it with a gel pad or just put the gel pad on top of the foam. Lots of great info on mods in the technical section.

Welcome to Savage land!  Cheesy

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Senga
YaBB Newbies

I used to be a
Rebel, but now I'm a
SAVAGE!

Oxford, MI
Reply #7 - 07/06/11 at 16:45:37

Boofer wrote on 07/05/11 at 17:57:58:
Don't let the husband on the Savage, or you will notice your Savage is always gone and the husband's boat anchor is sitting in its place collecting dust.  Grin

Thanks everyone for the great advice!!  I don't think I have to worry about him riding my Savage.  It looks a little too small on him.  Besides, he's madly in love with his V-Rod.  I have to admit...I almost wish they made a smaller version. Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 19:49:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Yes, another Newbie with questions....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.