Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help w/used Fwd Controls (Read 142 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Help w/used Fwd Controls
07/05/11 at 07:29:51

I picked up a set of used forward controls for cheap, but it was missing a few items.

They are a set of Ed's Aluminum 4" controls - included the 2 plates and the bracket to move the brake cable. I think I have figured out all the places/parts and how to make it work with 1 exception. It did not include an extended shift rod and I am at a loss for finding something to use in it's place  Embarrassed

The stock is about 6 1/8" long and has a rt thread on one end and a left thread on the other. Any suggestions for a replacement? Proper length? Only idea I have had is get someone with a welder to extend it by about 4" but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that.

Please help, I'm down until I get this rod   Embarrassed

« Last Edit: 07/05/11 at 14:20:59 by EJID »  

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Help w/used Fwd Controls
Reply #1 - 07/05/11 at 07:37:39

Just go buy a piece of threaded rod the right thread size, and put it on the end with the rh thread.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 07/05/11 at 07:42:33

What about how the other end is left hand thread? I thought it needed to be opposite so that it can thread on the shift lever and the engine mount lever thingy...obviously I am not a mechanic by trade

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 07/05/11 at 07:46:49

EJID wrote on 07/05/11 at 07:42:33:
What about how the other end is left hand thread? I thought it needed to be opposite so that it can thread on the shift lever and the engine mount lever thingy...obviously I am not a mechanic by trade

Uhhh.... maybe i didn't think that through. Embarrassed

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 07/05/11 at 08:23:22

might have to buy the rod and run the threads yourself with a tap kit...might work... Huh

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 07/05/11 at 10:40:44

Anyone know where I can buy an extended shift rod? These are 4" extensions.

(never had much luck threading a rod before  Sad )

IP Logged
VAFarmer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/05/11 at 11:19:30

Have you tried contacting "Ed" directly?

PM possibly.   If you got them at a great price off of the classys, it would be worth it to buy the right part most likely.

Otherwise, I will second the piece of rod and a tap-n-die.

If you don't want to go thru the trouble and purchase the sets, might consider taking a couple pieces of same diameter rod to a plumber or a machine shop, and have them threaded.  You will need to thread count, dimensions, etc.......

God bless,

Farmer

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #7 - 07/05/11 at 12:23:00

I have sent a PM to both EdL and Routy since they both work these things up for people, just no response yet. They were a great deal from another member here but from the sounds of it he either lost or reused the extended rod.

IP Logged
VAFarmer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/05/11 at 12:54:39

You didn't have a bad idea with welding another piece in.......but thats a no turning back kinda thing, you really couldn't go back to stock without buying another stock one.........not a prob really, but I cant imagine that the right one would cost too much.

Yeah, I saw that deal you got.   Smokin' deal  Wink

It was a 4th weekend, those guys probably are outta town, etc......

It drives me crazy when I get started on something, and then I'm outta commission for a few cause I'm missing something.

Good luck and God bless,

Farmer

P.S. Some left hand threaded rod welded to some right hand threaded rod would be just as easy as extending the old one also....... and even an ameteur weld job should hold them......seems like the force would be linear, so only pushing and pulling.  No lateral stress Wink

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #9 - 07/05/11 at 13:41:24

Maybe my memory is shot, but i seem to recall the threads on the rod being the same at both ends.... it was what the rod threaded into that had one standard and one reverse thread... you should verify this before going crazy looking for the right rod.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 07/05/11 at 14:06:26

CalisOsin wrote on 07/05/11 at 13:41:24:
Maybe my memory is shot, but i seem to recall the threads on the rod being the same at both ends.... it was what the rod threaded into that had one standard and one reverse thread... you should verify this before going crazy looking for the right rod.

Have the rod here with me @ work and here's what it looks like:

About 6 1/8" long, on the right side (darker color nut) the jam nut goes on by tightening CW, on the left side (lighter color nut) the jam nut goes on by tightening CCW.  Undecided

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/05/11 at 14:08:32

The rod would still be LH on one side and RH on the other in that case. Cant run a RH threaded rod through a LH threaded...anything. I say match up some rod at a hardware store and visit your local mechanic. If the mech cant or wont thread your rod hit up harbor freight and buy a tap/die set. I would avoid the welded extension as a first choice as there have been reports of stock shift rods bending and breaking which is why we insist that newbies DO NOT STOMP on the shift lever.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #12 - 07/05/11 at 14:20:24

BurnPgh wrote on 07/05/11 at 14:08:32:

The rod would still be LH on one side and RH on the other in that case. Cant run a RH threaded rod through a LH threaded...anything. I say match up some rod at a hardware store and visit your local mechanic. If the mech cant or wont thread your rod hit up harbor freight and buy a tap/die set. I would avoid the welded extension as a first choice as there have been reports of stock shift rods bending and breaking which is why we insist that newbies DO NOT STOMP on the shift lever.

They are definitely threaded differently on each side, since I can't take the jam nut off of one side and thread it onto the other (it just don't work that way)

So far I have tried Lowes, Home Depot, and ACE with no luck  Sad

I do have a tap/die set from HF, but haven't used it much (1 or 2 times on small projects) If I get some solid rod stock to use, can I thread it with the reverse threads for the one side?  or does that take some other special tool? Undecided

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 07/05/11 at 15:10:51

You guys are making it complicated when its not.
Its really quite simple,.....you need a 3/8 steel rod w/ 6mm RH male thread on one end, and tapped 6mm female RH thread on the other.
This won't be a shift rod,....it will be a 4" extension to the existing shift rod.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Reply #14 - 07/05/11 at 15:14:53

Do you have all the stock stuff?

If so. Imagine what an extension cord does!
Now that shift rod you have, leave it connected to the shifter LH tread
And create an extension cord with RH thread.

The creative part is making the extension!

Maybe use the parts below to make said extension

Turnbuckle

Thread rod

Should do the trick until you get your hands on the correct extension.

If I'm off the mark please feel free to tell me to  Lips Sealed

06 S-40 ss carbbowl screws, ss valve cover bolts, turn signals lightup w/ brake light(removed for trouble shooting)
06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:26:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help w/used Fwd Controls

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.