Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Buying my first car tomorrow (Read 318 times)
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Re: Buying my first car tomorrow
Reply #15 - 07/06/11 at 10:26:43

BA

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
scroop

Good grief, not
again!!!

western PA
Reply #16 - 07/06/11 at 18:19:46

bill67 wrote on 07/06/11 at 05:45:07:
Mine was a brand new 1964 chevy 409 impala 340 hp power glide.

That's a beautiful machine, Bill.  I love those big old Impalas, especially the tail lights.  Cool You said that you got it brand new, what was the sticker?  

Ride free!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 07/06/11 at 18:45:55

I love those big old Impalas, especially the tail lights.

They made sure to make the tail lights good lookin, since they knew most folks were gonna be lookin at them,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #18 - 07/07/11 at 07:36:08

Biddie wrote on 07/04/11 at 18:51:42:
I'm buying my first car tomorrow. A '66 Malibu SS with a 454 crate in it. I know most of us don't like cages, but for a cage this is about as good as it gets. This isn't the exact one; however it looks the same as mine. 400 HP at the rear.

http://www.histomobile.com/histomob/internet/34/924001.jpg

Biddie, my most sincere CONGRATULATIONS for landnig such a great car !!!  Smiley

A few words on performance and mpg from one who's used to $9/gal gasoline...  Shocked (keep in mind I speak/think with a European mind, but mechanicals is mechanicals...)

1) 454cu.in is a hoooge engine with hoooge cylinders: you might actually get better mileage frmo a 4-barrel carb rather than a 2-barrel carb, PROVIDED the buterflies open sequetially AND you have a VERY good foam air filter and high flow intake manifold and  headers (in other words, a 4-barrel with only two butterflies open will have better airflow than a 2-barrel at the same engine revs)

2) the old generation 3-speed automatics would often shift "low-2nd-drive" in only a few hundred feet; change the auto trans oil from a SAE90 to SAE75-80 (thicker oil)

3) remember the old adage to run properly inflated tires and have the front wheels properly tracked.

Actually, I'm convinced that if you simply "lope along" at 55-60 you should easily be in the 15mpg range, if not better.

To improve mileage you can always consider GearVendors Over/Underdrive, literally an overdrive to have 4th gear in your 3-speed box!
http://www.gearvendors.com/

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #19 - 07/07/11 at 11:39:52

He may have a Power Glide transmission. A built PG can handle gobs of torque. And it doesn't hurt to shift out quickly. The engine can handle it. That was a way to get the engine back in it's low end grunt zone. Buy the car. Take it easy. learn what you can. We're getting on our own nerves. jmo  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #20 - 07/07/11 at 14:57:30

I've rebuilt automatics going back as far as a 1953 Chevy cast-iron PG & they all use some form of ATF. Even most modern manual transmissions use ATF now. Please do not put SAE 75-80 or 90 in anything since the mid 90s without checking first. It could get very expensive. Cool

A Turbo 400 would have been my choice back in the day, but there are overdrive trannys available now that would be a better choice for a daily driver.

Wonder if the OP bought it or not?

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
joscswny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NH
Reply #21 - 07/08/11 at 06:47:57

Biddie,
All this advice is excellent and tiimely.

Buy the Thing!!!

And work lots of overtime.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 07/08/11 at 08:50:28

scroop wrote on 07/06/11 at 18:19:46:
bill67 wrote on 07/06/11 at 05:45:07:
Mine was a brand new 1964 chevy 409 impala 340 hp power glide.

That's a beautiful machine, Bill.  I love those big old Impalas, especially the tail lights.  Cool You said that you got it brand new, what was the sticker?  

I think it was around $2700,it was the 2 door hardtop dark blue

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #23 - 07/08/11 at 08:54:24

Ya buy it or what? Huh

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #24 - 07/08/11 at 09:57:53

Ridge Runner, When I was a pre teen and teen my dad and I used to hang a lot of engines and such from a big tree in our side yard. We overhauled a 1951-52? Power Glide using that tree for shade. HEAVY. We weren't mechanics, but country folks back then did their own work. We had a gear chip off our John Deere tractor. While using a cold chisel and hammer I got a bb sized piece of steel in my right forearm. I can still feel it today, 40 years later. That tree is gone and so is my dad. I hope the Chevelle leaves the same good memories and do-it-yourself work ethic I learned. And no matter how it started out, with a 454 in it it is a Chevelle.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Biddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 07/08/11 at 14:40:54

Sorry about the long reply time, my job requires long hours everyday. I normally come home shower eat then go straight to bed. I did buy the car. It has a '07 GM crate 454 with 700 miles, turbo 400, Barry grant demon carb. These are the only pics I have right now.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #26 - 07/08/11 at 15:10:18

Awesome looking car! Must be fun, but don't let it become a trouble maker  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #27 - 07/08/11 at 17:04:49

EJID wrote on 07/08/11 at 15:10:18:
Awesome looking car! Must be fun, but don't let it become a trouble maker  Cool

And don't you become a trouble maker. Grin  Engine shows proper attention to assembly detail. Hope it's good for years to come.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #28 - 07/10/11 at 10:10:27

Biddie, I will be going up Tn 45 taking daughter to camp in a bit. I have a 2000 Grand Prix 3.8 that's been "Breathed on a bit", A/C good stereo. lumbar crank, smooth, reliable--why am I remebering 1973 and my friend's Mustang Mach I 351 Cleveland, competetion steering, suspension, exhaust, and wondering if you are taking a Sunday ride? Tn 45 is railroad straight and was on my way to college. If you didn't mind Tn Troopers it was perfect. Get a picture of you with the car. Not just digital. Print it out! Good day. Smiley

IP Logged
scroop

Good grief, not
again!!!

western PA
Reply #29 - 07/10/11 at 13:58:34

bill67 wrote on 07/08/11 at 08:50:28:
I think it was around $2700,it was the 2 door hardtop dark blue

Wow, that's about what I paid for the Boulevard!

Ride free!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:17:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Buying my first car tomorrow

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.