Hospitals $uck! (Read 315 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Hospitals $uck!
07/03/11 at 20:47:52

Spent the weekend in the hospital with one emergency surgery and was supposed to have another today. Except all 3 docs were gone to the lake and i didnt find at out untill 9 when i was supposed to be going into surgery again.
Started out as one of the spells iver had off and on for the last 4-5 years. Got so bad thought i was haveing a major heart attack. On a scale of 1-10 my pain lever was an 11 i told them. Couldnt hardly walk and was about ready to pass out by the time we got to the ER.

In at 5 and finaly got some pain meds at around 3 am. Emergency surgery to remove the gall bladder about 9 am. Was on the wrong side for the pain but supposedly was full of stones and sand, was bad.
But hopefully it was whats been causeing all the pain and spells for the last few years.

Kicker is i was supposed to have another at 9 this morning. All prepped, nothing but fluids till midnight then nothing till the surgery at 9. At 9 i get told im on hold till at least tues as all 3 docs are off on vacation. How can they not know and schedule a surgery when all 3 of the doctors are at the lake??
I told em like he!! im staying there till tues or wed, im going home and you can call me back in!
I feel like they were trying to pad the bill.

Second surgery is to remove a stone stuck in a liver duct with a laprascope...if they can get it out. If not they get to open me up like a d@mn fish.
Dont know how we're going to pay for it all as clares insurance isnt the best. First one was supposed to run 10-12,000
Then got the morphine, pump, room ect to pay for plus the second surgery and room, pump ect ect. And possibly a third surgery.
Whole d@mn weekend was fubar.

Home with 4 holes in my gut, no gall bladder, stone still stuck in my liver(at least one) sore as he!! and first solid food since thur.
What lil LIQUID(their wording) food(grits, coffee, vanilla pudding and foul apple juice) they had on the first tray at 2 was foul. Couldnt eat it.
Another tray of the same d@mned thing at 5 was just as bad. Except they swapped the grits for their version of potatoe soup(looked and tasted like half mashed potatoes and half gravy). Couldnt eat that either. Finaly got a burger and malt on the way home.
Going from 2 1/2 packs a day to zero in 2 seconds for 3 days wasnt fun either. Ive smoked about half a pack with my patch still on since 5...lol

Now i get to wait till i get a call tues morning to tell me when to come back in for the second surgery and to see if ill need the third(hope not).
And figure out how to pay for it all without selling everything.
Even if the insurance(not the best) pays for the bulk of it its going to be a BIG chunk to take care of.
Not much left after takeing care of dad for 10 years of home care and now mom. And now MYSELF.

Got to take my pain meds and antibiotics till i get back in and hope i dont get an infection or open up these holes in my belly. Sometime between tues and fri ill supposedly go back in for the second one. Roll Eyes
Sore as he!!(HURT), no motorcycle for at least a week to 10 days...or longer. Then no lifting of anything over about 20lbs for AT LEAST 3-4 weeks after. Thats not counting a third surgery if i have it.

Could of died from this cr@p fri it turns out, was pretty serious.
Feel like the hopital was jacking me around and trying to pad the bill with extra room days and tests. How do they NOT know all three docs are gone and go ahead and schedule a surgery????
My surgeon had about THE WORST bedside manners of any doctor ive ever seen.  Acted like i wasnt there, wouldnt look me in the eyes, would only half answer the questions and even ignored a couple of questions and just walked off. I wasnt impressed.
Nurses didnt seem to think much of him either.
Nurses and nurses aids were pretty good except for one night nurse. Kinda reminded me of the surgeon.
Been some kind of weekend and it aint over yet. Sad

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Hospitals $uck!
Reply #1 - 07/03/11 at 22:24:06

Sorry to hear of all this medical nightmare,
... but not surprised...

Don't rush to pay,.. get well... then, negotiate...

My buddy talked his brothers broken leg down from 27k to 5k... with no insurance...

This system is F'd up!...

My best to you my friend... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/03/11 at 22:35:36

I asked for an itemized list of everything done for one of my wifes hospital trips, They had her down for all kinds of little things that she never got, padded it all up,, so much fraud, man,, I was ticked.. So, I told them they had made a bunch of mistakes, but I didnt tell them what mistakes theyd made,, & demanded they give me another one,, the second one was correct,, amazingly, THEY knew which items thed billed for that werent actually done,,, so, I called them & explained to them that now I had in my hand evidence of fraud & they could shove the whol;e bill or Id talk to the insurance company,, I dropped a pretty good sized bill right in the toilet,, never heard from them again, I cant remember how much $$$ it was,  but we Had Blue Cross, I wasnt payin all of it,, but when I got doneI payed None of it,..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/03/11 at 22:56:00

When my dad had a heart attack in 1982...  they charged $9.00 per armpit, for a puff of baby powder... and $19.95 for two Tylenol's...
What would they charge today?......

Is there something wrong with this picture?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #4 - 07/04/11 at 00:35:04

ALWAYS get an itimised bill from a hospital!!!
Im going to talk to the hospital about their screw up and how its affected me, see if i can get the bill down some. May even talk to a lawyer friend of mine about it. Its messed up.
I cant believe they tell me for two days ill have a surgery at a certain time then at the last SECOND they figure out the only three docs to do the surgery are all at the lake at the same time and didnt know it.

Not looking foreward to the second surgery but d@mn sure dont want the third. Second one ill be awake for. Tube down the throat, through the stomach, down the samll intestine then into the liver. Got to be awake in case i need to move around so they can get the proper placement of the scope and do the job. Sounds like fun. Numbing sprasy for the thropat and iodine dye so they can see what their doing. That dye aint no fun, makes you hot! Better then being gutted though.

Got a dose of meds to help with the pain and to coat my esophagus(sp) that was some foul tasteing cr@p. Nasueaous to begn with then had to swallow that stuff. Looked like a cup of snot n spit and tasted worse! Pain part didnt help worth a hoot either.
Just HOPE the gall bladder was the whole problem. Be nice to get rid of the spells and acid reflux. But D@MN, the cost.

Not to mention the air and gas you get inside you when they go to pokeing holes in you. Said my body will be sore as he!! for a week or more and ill be farting and belching up the air/gas for a week.
Kinda rough being cut off from all food, all drink and cigs all at once for  a couple of days...lol
Didnt have the morphine pump up high enough to get rid of the pain, just kinda mask it. And thats only if your not moveing, coughing or like awhile ago...d@mned hiccups!

Not rideing for a week or more will be rough. But not lifting anything over 20lbs for over a month and liveing on a farm is really going to try my patiance.
Right now im just trying not to tear these hole open. They just glue em together and slap a bandaid over em now days. SOORRREEE!!!

Oh yeah. You cant hardly swallow for a couple of days after you get that tube down your throat to breathe during surgery. I cant swallow except on the right side unless im drinking something.
Had a couple of cute nurses id usualy of been flirting with hot n heavy except i hurt so bad. So i just flirted a lil. Usualy when they were standing there watching me pee into a jug so they could measure output of fluids...lol

Bot, you dont want to know what they charge for a single asprin or a bandaid. You could buy a whole bottle of asprin for what they charge you for one in the hospital. Im not sure what the ER bill itself will be. Rooms run on average about 600 a day. Then the x-rays, blood tests, ultrasound and the plethora of other things they manage to cram into your stay with them.
What they charge for the so called food is really criminal. And the cooks should be shot on sight!

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 07/04/11 at 02:36:14

2 years ago we put my mom in a full care facility here in Portland because she had severe dementia and was becoming dangerous to herself at home. We were told the bill could never go higher than her retirement pay she received each month. It could go as high as $3,200. Her room was $2,000 a month and the rest for the care. She was there 3 weeks and they dropped her on the floor twice. The second one there was supposed to be a fall mat on the floor so she could not fall and hurt herself again. They forgot to put it down on the second night and they found her on the floor the next morning with a broken shoulder, hip and leg. They removed her immediately to a hospital where they said there was nothing they could do becaue of her age and severity of the breaks. they took her off her medicine and she died the next day. The home billed us for $11,700. She was in there for just 3 weeks!

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 07/04/11 at 08:00:57

I feel for you Wolf. Hospital estimates are a lot worse than auto repair estimates. Initial estimate for my shoulder surgery was around $8500.00. Final bill was $23,000. That was for a 45 minute surgery with no overnight stay.

I have an appointment on Thursday with a surgeon who is going to remove my gallbladder. I'm not looking forward to any of it.

FSO
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 07/04/11 at 08:33:38

WAIT!! Do a Gall Bladder FLUSH first,, dont hack it out,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 07/04/11 at 09:05:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/04/11 at 08:33:38:
WAIT!! Do a Gall Bladder FLUSH first,, dont hack it out,,

Ultrasound results were that it's full of stones. Hurts like hell also. Be rid of it I say!

Wishing you a speedy recovery Wolf!

FSO
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/04/11 at 09:25:55

A flush (well,, p[robably take 2 or 3  to really get it cleaned up ) will send those stones out,, & then you can stop eatin those greasy fried foods,, that goobered it all up. You can avoid a surgery & keep your stuff you were born with,, its not hard, its not fun, but its a lot better than getting cut open,, Takes a day,, ingest certain things, use a heating pad, take an enema,, & watch the green pellets come a flyin out,, balled up l+umps of bile,, If you try it once & get relief from some pain,, then you can bet you can get it cleared up.. & save thousands & keep your digestive tract intact.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #10 - 07/04/11 at 10:14:35

Flush dont work if the stones are too big.

Yeah PJ it aint no fun!!! No eatting, no drinking, wake up feeling like you been kicked in the guts by a clydesdale several times. Hiccups will kill you...lol Sneezeing and coughing is worse. If you smoke start the patch NOW!
Not looking forewrad to the next one but i hope it works. No telling how long this one stone has been stuck in my liver. I know ive had some bad spells over the last 5 years. Said mine was full of stones and sand???
Getting cut open is even worse.

Get to fart n belch a lot to! All the air you get shoved in you while their working on you your body absorbs and then you got to get rid of it.
Find a nice BIG SOFT pillow to sleep with when you come home to. You'll want it when you go to sleep.
Going to be hard to rely on everyone else for a month or more as im usualy the one takeing care of everyone else. To much to do and not enough time as it is and now this crud. But maybe ill feel a lil better.

I was hurting so bad i turned down a sponge bath by a cute lil 28 year old nurse. Now that just aint right!! Cheesy

Dont care for nurseing home stinger. Let mom put dad in one for about 3 weeks. Broken arm, broken wrist, concussion and letting him lay in the floor for over n hour after a fall pretty much ruined me on them. And this was in one of the GOOD ones!

Stinking hospitals stick you for everything they can. Then the docs get you as well. Our hospital/doctor systems is a bad joke.
$10 for an asprin or bandaid. Dont even want to know what that morphine pump is going to cost.
And you dont eat the food you still get charged for it.
Why oh why cant they cook something edible???
And their idea of a liquid diet leaves much to be desired. Grits n vanilla pudding?? 6 packs of sugar a pack of salt and some milk couldnt even make them edible. The pudding tasted more like cake frosting.
Tell em you cant eat strawberry and they keep sending you strawberry jello and strawberry icecream.
Think ill sneak me a couple of whoppers or arbys sandwichs in next time...lol

Maybe ill get offered another sponge bath.  Grin

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 07/04/11 at 18:35:11

Wolf, Hope you get straightened out. I was in the hospital about ten years ago. I kept telling my wife I liked the food, and I really did. I think that worried her more than my ailment.  Grin Does it hurt to laugh? Motorcycle mechanic asked the doctor how he made $300,000 working on hearts when he didn't make near that working on engines. "After all the engine is the heart of a motorcycle." The doctor replied, " Yes, but can you fix it with th engine running?" Old joke alert!
Hang in there and concentrate on getting home and well--and riding. Best wishes.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #12 - 07/04/11 at 23:43:10

I am home. They screwed up their scheduleing on my second surgery and i was'nt sitting in the hospital for two days waiting for the docs to get back from vacation.
If i got some real food it wouldnt be to bad. But the cr@p they tried to get me to eat was BAD even for a hospital.

Their supposed to call in the morning and let me know when to come in to get ready for the second surgery.
And YES it hurts! Just sitting hurts let alone moveing any part of my body. Part of it is the air/gas gets shoved into your body during the surgery to remove the gall bladder. Your body absorbs it then expells it. In other words you painfully bloat then fart and/or belch.
The incisions hurt the worst most of the time.

Just took my pain meds so im going to bed soon to wait for them to call in the morning. No telling how long ill be in this time. Probably a couple days if things go right this time. Complications like they cant get the stone out of my liver with the laprascope and all bets are off. Would mean a third surgery and probably at least a week in the hospital.
Been a real nice 4th weekend....lol

Hunk of bread is probably the last solid food ill have for a couple days, thats rough. Im about sick of water. But thats better then the 12 hours or so you cant even have that before surgery.
I had a laptop id take it with me as they have wifi but i dont and oldest girl wont loan me hers.
Later.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/05/11 at 06:55:50

I wonder how much theyll bill you for your time there when your dr wasnt even in town ..Id tell them to shove it & offer to send Them a bill for wasting my time & subjecting me to all that discomfort for nothing.. 20 bucks an hour is my going rate in a dispute with a company,, & Ive won several times,, they go away,

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #14 - 07/05/11 at 12:25:49

Gets better.
Supposed to get a call this morning early to tell me when to come in. They finaly call at 2 after i called them at 12.
Still no docs available. Ill have my surgery SOMETIME this week im told.
First docs available thur.
Supposed to call me back tomorrow(wed) to tell me when???
So thur or fri at the earliest it seems.
Id of let em keep me id be laying there for at least 4 days rather then 2 waiting on the surgery.
Left hand dont know what the right hand is doing at the hospital.
Think ill definitely be talking to a legal friend of mine.
Bunch of BS!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:31:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hospitals $uck!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.