Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ahh, The Dreaded Cam Tensioner! (Read 174 times)
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Ahh, The Dreaded Cam Tensioner!
07/01/11 at 11:33:30

At 9600 miles the tensioner noise raises it's head! Looks like this is the year I REALLY get to know my bike! At least I wasn't up at the dragon when it started!  Tongue

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Ahh, The Dreaded Cam Tensioner!
Reply #1 - 07/01/11 at 19:26:20

Time to get versified...  
Installs not too bad,...   Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #2 - 07/01/11 at 19:57:24

I was a part of the cam chain upgrade group that was bought from this site a few years ago. I only had 3000 miles on it at the time. I'll probably put that on and send the tensioner to versy and wait. I should be able to get started pretty quick as I only need to get the gasket set and dive in.

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/02/11 at 06:26:13

If it was mine, Id slap the versy on & get all th goody outta that chain you have on, then put the High Grade one on,, You mite even want to get a lumpier cam then.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 07/02/11 at 08:03:05

The verslavy is very quick and easy compared to changing out the cam chain.

Verslavy first, after that 10-15,000 more miles then put in the new chain.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/02/11 at 09:12:16

I just did the Verslavy too... My super-chain is still waiting...
I think I can go another 10 or 15k...
I figure, now, with the pinned adjuster installed, I'll get plenty of warning when it's time...
Very secure feeling...
It's really great that Versy came up with this...Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #6 - 07/07/11 at 11:38:45

I'm gonna move the rest of this thread to rubber side down when I get my parts but wanted to acknowledge oldfeller and serobot for talking some sense into me. I think I AM going to order the versy first and save the cam chain for down the road. Glad I tore it down though, my steel rule says 41/64ths inches which converts to roughly 16mm. Time to do something!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/07/11 at 18:36:06

Yea, they were pretty much the only voices of reason you had out there,, coff,, coff,,, aHEMMM,,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #8 - 07/07/11 at 19:38:11

Sorry JOG, just hurried the post and missed you! No slight intended.  Embarrassed

Looks like versy's running a bit behind on production and asking me to hold off on my order. I REALLY don't like how fast the noise came on so I may put the new chain on after all. I've got two upcoming events I don't want to miss and a time frame that doesn't leave a lot of time for Murphy's Law! I can always put the versy tensioner on at the end of the heavy riding season and I should be good for a long time!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 07/08/11 at 10:24:46

hee hee

I ain't no voice of reason ....

..... jest ain't a gonna see you do the same work twice !!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 07/08/11 at 21:28:44

hay SouthPaw

You doin't have to buy a gasket set .... I've had that clutch cover off better than 10 time and never had a leak.    

Get some "ultra gray" form a gasket from the parts store and aply a thin coat to both side (carefull around the top where the oil passage is) then let it dry for about 10 minutes and finger tight only put the bolts in.   After it sets over-night tork the bolts on the soft side.  

be sure to rub the sealer as you put it on ,,, you will be able to see and feel the good contact , remember just a thin layer on both sides.

Be sure to get the specal washers in the right place ,  (I use a little grey on the bolt heads where the washers go.)

Wish you could have made the Dragon trip again this year.  I've thought a lot about that "top-heavy" load you had , I would'nt have wanted to ride with a load like that ,,,  doin't know how  you did it.

Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:18:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ahh, The Dreaded Cam Tensioner!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.