Re: Helmet Style
Reply #30 - 07/03/11 at 16:19:51

Serowbot wrote on 07/03/11 at 10:30:10:
Arizuno wrote on 07/03/11 at 10:05:33:
Google "Onondaga, NY motorcycle"

Is this it?...  
Ironic..

Quote:
ONONDAGA, N.Y. (AP) - Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #31 - 07/03/11 at 16:22:29

Yup, this is it. The article doesn't say, but you get the sense this was a low-speed event. As you mentioned earlier, pavement remains hard exclusive of bike type.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #32 - 07/03/11 at 16:25:30

That's sad but the irony is almost amusing.  So what do the rest of the bikers in that protest do?  Do they all of a sudden switch it up and join an ATGATT organization? LOL unfortunately probably not.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 07/03/11 at 16:37:02

No,,, Its simple,, in a Libertarian society, people do as they please & accept the consequences of their choices.. sadly, OUR society has been messed with to the point that YOUR bad choices can Cost Me Money,, so I have some say in what Choices YOu Have.. & thats wrong.. YOur choices,.good o bad, shouldnt cost me, just YOU & your family.. in the past, thats how it was.. & thats what we need to get back,,
Vote Ron Paul.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #34 - 07/03/11 at 19:11:13

I wear a 3/4 right now, which I dig, but I'll roll a full face with no complaints the minute I find one like this:

Oh yeah.....

I'm not too big on modern FF styling, but the vintage stuff is killer IMO.

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
rustysavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Reply #35 - 07/03/11 at 20:05:45

Full face for me, carried over from my snowmobile days. Any kind of helmet is better than none, but it doesn't matter what protection (leather, nylon, etc ) you use if your # comes up.......

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #36 - 07/03/11 at 23:38:31

Have always worn a 3/4 helmet, wont wear a half or ride without. Just bought a modular with flip down sun visor to get rid of the sun glasses.
Bad thing about sun glasses is even IF your helmet survives you can lose an eye to the sun glasses.
Like my chin and face as well as liveing so ill keep wearing a 3/4 or ful/modular. And ALWAYS a visor.

Motocross days had a spill i wouldnt of survived landing on the TOP of my head on a rock if id been without a helmet.
Almost lost an eye when running the woods without a visor as well.
Ive also had massive truama to the head when thrown off a hay wagon into a dry creek bed. NOT Fun! Ill wear a helmet while rideing.
Ive had road rash at 70 mph as well when a truck door popped open on me. Ill wear a jacket(denim at least) even if its a 100 degrees out. Road rash hurts, sweat dries.
Ive even worn a helmet when running the lakes at night or in rain/fog. Above about 20 mph hitting the water is like hitting concrete. Running 50 or 20 in a tournament will make it hurt even worse if you flip out.
I may look dorky but ill live to ride another day by wearing one.

If it was just me i had to worry about id go goggles only. But you can never tell what that idiot is going to do next to you when their on the phone and dont check their mirrors.
I like rideing and i like liveing. Ill wear the helmet even though it annoys me sometimes. Better odds to ride many more years then going wihtout. I also hate them lil squishy brown bugs in the eyes. They kinda burn.
Ill take chances sometimes when the odds favor me. Odds of survival on a bike without a helmet are'nt good enough to suit me.
And ive only crashed a couple of times on the enduro back when i was younger and starting out.
Ride and YOU WILL eventualy crash. Not if but when. And i intend to stay around long enough to crash a couple of times, not just once...lol

It SEEMED like i had less periphial vison in the modular. When you set the helmet next to my 3/4 the main part of the opening is the same. The chin bar makes it SEEM like you have less periphial vison but its the same.
And ANY passanger i carry WILL wear a helmet of some type or their not rideing. Period. Helmets DO save lives. Seen it to many times to doubt it.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #37 - 07/04/11 at 16:18:23

I'd wear one of my CANVAS ones if I could get away with it. Helmet liners for aviators or firefighters.

I've had my face saved by a face shield once. In 08 the steering head bearings on my 2005 800 Vulcan Classic stuck going into a turn and I had a lay over. Broken shoulder, gouged face shield. Crash unstuck the bearings... go figure, my friend rode it the rest of the way home while I was enroute to the hospital.

JOG, Ron Paul is a step in the right direction, but not the whole answer.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #38 - 07/04/11 at 16:28:07

JOG, Ron Paul is a step in the right direction, but not the whole answer.   [/quote]

Yea,, I know,, but everyone else is another  step in the worng direction,, so, vote R, Paul.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #39 - 07/04/11 at 16:59:39

Isn't Ron Paul a 911 truther though?

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #40 - 07/04/11 at 17:02:16

They had a bit on the news last night about the death in the helmet protest. Cops said he 'most likely' would of survived the crash.
Been a couple around here where folks had been wearing their helmets they would of walked away from a crash instead of dieing.

Even though im a firm believer in helmets i think it ought to be a personal choice. BUT, there needs to be some kind of wavior on insurance or something so everyone else dont end up picking up the medical tab if someone takes a crash sans helmet. Should be mandatory organ donors as well.
But then i think seatbelts should be a personal choice i a cage as well. Your endangering yourself, no one else. Should be your choice, not some govt flunkies.

Instead of carpng about us and helmets they need to be worrying more about unskilled drivers and them D@mn cell phones. Every car needs some kind of jammer to jam a cell phone signal over about 10 mph.
THAT would help US as much or more then wearing a helmet!

Myself, i kinda like my looks(ladies do to...lol) my lower jaw and teeth so ill keep wearing at least a 3/4....when i can ride again...^$%#!*^$%!!!. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #41 - 07/04/11 at 17:07:36

Full face and ear protection. And jacket, gloves, pants, boots.

Hubby hit the pavement about 4 years ago in full gear. Ended up with a titanium plate in his shoulder but all else was okay. I was on the Savage riding behind him (he was on his Triumph) and saw the whole thing happen. He hit and slid. Would have been horribly messy without helmet and other gear (fortunately we had just bought riding pants about a week earlier). Was on a twisty hill and I couldn't safely stop -- had to find a safe place to turn around. Longest two minutes of my life.

I also had to evaluate someone a few years ago who had been kicked in the head by a deer while riding. Not pretty.

Anyhoo I am a believer in FF helmets. Mine's comfy and I like the extra safety.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #42 - 07/05/11 at 07:15:17

Wolfman wrote on 07/04/11 at 17:02:16:
....  there needs to be some kind of wavior on insurance or something so everyone else dont end up picking up the medical tab if someone takes a crash sans helmet. Should be mandatory organ donors as well ....

Insurance Companies have rates for your age, years of experience, how many miles a year you ride, if you ride for commuting or play, even if you park in a garage.  They already CAN and DO adjust rates for anything that could cost them money.  They do *NOT* change the rates for people use helmets and ATGATT versus those who do not.

THINK people!  Don't you think the Insurance industry would bump up the rates if "protection" matters?  Statistically the helmets do not change the rates of injury/deaths / accidents.

WWW   IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 07/05/11 at 09:38:08

FFATT, I just don't understand how people can ride without the safest option. Once I put the Helmet on, it triggers a switch in my noggin that it's GO TIME.

IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #44 - 07/05/11 at 09:58:34

Motorcycle insurance covers you for injury/damage to OTHERS and, if you opt for it, damage to your motorcycle. It does not cover you for damage to yourself, so your insurer couldn't care less if you ride naked.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 22:31:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Helmet Style

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.