Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Helmet Style (Read 838 times)
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Helmet Style
Reply #15 - 07/02/11 at 14:29:53

FF. dont have to bother with sunglasses flying off my face when i look over my shoulder to change lanes. oh and the protection is priceless

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #16 - 07/02/11 at 14:45:32

MrBrownTX wrote on 07/01/11 at 19:22:37:
What style helmet do you wear and why?...

I have been riding since 1964.  I have never hit my head.  I have never crashed.   I do not *want* to crash.  Which means I want to watch.  Everything.  Constantly.  Which means I cannot move my head/eyes while wearing a heavy helmet.  Some people claim that I cannot avoid crashes.  I know that it is capable to avoid others.  I have been doing just that for 47 years.  That is not "luck."  

I live in a Nanny State, thus I wear the lightest, smallest helmet I could find.  I shuck it on the State Line into Arizona.  I do not need a helmet.  I can wear goggles to protect my eyes from wind.  Bugs taste good, do not hurt.  

You need to choose yourself.  Do you trust yourself?  Do you have decades on the road so you can trust yourself?  Or do you want to wear a motorcycle helmet?

WWW   IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #17 - 07/02/11 at 21:04:57

Paladin. wrote on 07/02/11 at 14:45:32:
What style helmet do you wear and why?...

I have been riding since 1964.  I have never hit my head.  I have never crashed.   I do not *want* to crash.  Which means I want to watch.  Everything.  Constantly.  Which means I cannot move my head/eyes while wearing a heavy helmet.  Some people claim that I cannot avoid crashes.  I know that it is capable to avoid others.  I have been doing just that for 47 years.  That is not "luck."  

I live in a Nanny State, thus I wear the lightest, smallest helmet I could find.  I shuck it on the State Line into Arizona.  I do not need a helmet.  I can wear goggles to protect my eyes from wind.  Bugs taste good, do not hurt.  

You need to choose yourself.  Do you trust yourself?  Do you have decades on the road so you can trust yourself?  Or do you want to wear a motorcycle helmet?

Perhaps you're an extremely excellent driver.  47 years of riding experience without one accident is very impressive.  However, I don't trust myself to achieve that, so I also wear a full face helmet.  Plus, it reduces the wind noise.  I also wear earplugs.

IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #18 - 07/02/11 at 21:24:12

47 yrs w/o a hitch is amazing. Being vigilant helps, but sometimes its beyond our control. I had a few close ones when I was a kid n riding.
A ff will help keep your chin on your face for sure - came up on a guy and his bike a few yrs ago who hit a guard rail with his face and had one side of his jaw hanging off - but I still prefer my open helmet with glasses. I have more visual range too.
Plus there's the ever present smarta$$ factor. Its key.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #19 - 07/03/11 at 04:07:35

1/2 shell in the heat, 3/4 shell when it is cooler or raining. I wouldn't wear one at all but TN requires it.

The day a clutch lever got punched through my chin I was wearing a full face. I'f I'd had a smaller helmet or no helmet it would have just left a bruise instead of breaking off and being forced into me.

Wife before Lisa got killed when her full face helmet broke her neck. She was t-boned by a drunk driver. Not another scratch on her, low speed impact into a muddy ditch.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #20 - 07/03/11 at 05:07:51

I'm just wondering where some riders draw the line on saftey. How much money are you willing to spend, and how much comfort are you willing to give up just to be a little safer ?
A person could keep going and going on it,.... untill you stay off a motorcycle completely,......because that is for sure the safest way !

I draw the line at riding defensively, always expecting the unexpected, always thinking of a "plan B" to avoid a crash, if plan A should fail.

If it were not law, I wouldn't wear a helment 1/2 the time.......up town....slower speeds etc. If I'm more comfortable w/ my 1/2 helmet at hiway speeds, then I would wear it anyway.
If it were not law, I wouldn't wear a seat belt in my truck either.
I spend more time in my boat than in a car or on a motorcycle, and I never wear a life preserver either. And I don't like being forced to do what I'm not comfortable doing.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #21 - 07/03/11 at 07:00:57

What style helmet do you wear and why?

FF - 60%
3/4 - 39.9%
none - 0.1%

almost never go without helmet - like most here i think i'm a better rider than average  Smiley, but i know it's possible to make a mistake.  And you never know what someone else is going to do ...

a helmet won't save you in a head on- but it can be the difference between a minor road rash and severe brain damage or death in a low speed crash. a 17 yr old pulled into a rider about a mile from my house last thursday - just straight into the side of him both going about 10 mph (according to someone i know who knows someone who knows a local fireman) , pushed him over - he had on most of the gear - wasn't hurt - just TICKED!  If a bare head had hit the pavement, though ....

i wear FF more partly because i ride to work a lot - in march, april, some of may, september and october it's too cold for open face in the A.M.

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #22 - 07/03/11 at 07:03:41

Lots of different answers, good discussion.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 07/03/11 at 08:03:27

FWIW, If I was Paladin, I wouldnt wear a helmet either. Ive always "Pushed it" if not a lot, then at least a little. Ive hit 3 cars with bicycles (One wasnt my fault, an angry woman turned across my path on purpose). & Ive totaled 3 motorcycles.  The last one I crashed, I had NO business even being on the road, in fact, I was so messed up( No, not drunk,, Ive been sick for years, sometimes Im okay to do things,, sometimes, Im not,, I havent accomplished ANYTHING for 2 weeks, cuz Ive been feeling pretty bad. No way wopuld I ride a bike right now) , I was on the Wrong road.. I was supposed to be going to Tyler, but was on the road to Lindale,, it was another of those day I shouldnt have even been out of the house,, but I had promised a friend Id come over,, stupid me..

Anyway, the point is, who you are, how youve lived your life. Those things play into whether or not you SHOULD be wearing a helmet. How many trips to the ER have you made in your life? How many times have you cut yourself working on things? Ever break any bones? How many times have you been knocked out? Me,, 13 or 14. I have a picture of me standing on the VERY Top Rail of a drilling rig derrick,, I walked the rail on an overpass over a busy highway out about 1/4 the way to the other side once,, I WEAR a helmet,, Paladin, OTOH,, ha lived  more reasonable life, a life more likely to be a long one,, his whole approach to life is one of carefully & painlessly doing what he wants to do, & I respect that & I am working to adopt.

FWIW, if I had been wearing a helmet on the first bike I totaled, Id be dead. I cracked 3 vertebrae in my neck when I landed on my head & shoulder, If a helmet had been in between head & shoulder, it would have worked as a fulcrum, & separated those fractures into serious breaks..  
When it comes to this decision, its like Popeye said,

Ya pays yer money & ya takes yer chances.

I hope you make the right choice for YOU.
Oh,, I wasnt wearin a helmet on the 2nd crash, either,, my head never touched the ground or anything else,, I did get 4 days in hospital from the hematoma at the thigh/torso junction where I broke the handlebars. But I walked away, went to ER about 4 hours later.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #24 - 07/03/11 at 10:05:33

Google "Onondaga, NY motorcycle"

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 07/03/11 at 10:15:45

Worst crash results I ever saw was a man on his knees in the road, missing his face from an inch or so in front of his ears to just below his nose... that aint gonna fix..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #26 - 07/03/11 at 10:30:10

Arizuno wrote on 07/03/11 at 10:05:33:
Google "Onondaga, NY motorcycle"

Is this it?...  
Ironic..

Quote:
ONONDAGA, N.Y. (AP) - Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #27 - 07/03/11 at 11:38:11

Howitzer wrote on 07/02/11 at 21:04:57:
..  I also wear earplugs.

HA!!  I don't need earplugs!  All I have to do is turn off the hearing aid!  My hearing problem is from working in the Telephone Company.

Actually, I have found that I need earplugs when I wear the helmet on the Freeway -- the wind noise in the straps.  When I crossed the State Line and into Arizona I found I could remove the earplugs.

WWW   IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #28 - 07/03/11 at 11:47:28

http://dontai.com/wp/2010/05/20/motorcycle-helmet-impact-zones/

Very interesting diagram.  Looks like a pretty high% chance of hitting your face in a crash.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #29 - 07/03/11 at 12:50:26

MrBrownTX wrote on 07/03/11 at 11:47:28:
Very interesting diagram.  Looks like a pretty high% chance of hitting your face in a crash.

We lead with our chins ...  45% of the time, anything less than FF is ineffective...
Not good odds...  
I wouldn't risk my face on a coin toss... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 22:31:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Helmet Style

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.