Fuel (Read 264 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Fuel
Reply #15 - 07/01/11 at 11:25:59

I never said a word about it not being a rip !
We're being hosed to death by big oil !
VAFarmer wrote on 07/01/11 at 11:07:28:
Not just something to whine about, I can't say it has or has not made anything run any better or any worse.

But it IS a case of the government APPROVING that the fuel companies can now add 5% more junk/useless material/filler into a gallon of gas, which means they are now "givin' the nod" to big oil to charge you the same amount of money for a gallon of something that in not 100% gas.......so your 3.50 cents is now paying for 5% less gas.
It is giving big oil the get outta jail free card for selling 85% of the product at 100% of the price.
So the price of gas will "go down" to the clueless, when really-its going up.
Stop using it if you don't like it, you say?   C'mon, ......really?
Government endorsement is the only thing that is keeping this from being criminal  Wink.
Remember "It's not wrong if we say it 'aint!!"

I for one like the idea of making all stuff run on ethanol, or seawater.

Just have a hard time swallowing the "fleecing" pill.....

God bless you each one.

Farmer

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #16 - 07/01/11 at 11:28:06

Bubba wrote on 07/01/11 at 07:44:02:
Or get one of these...

http://www.brammo.com/empulse/

Now I'm impressed !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 07/01/11 at 11:49:35

Routy wrote on 07/01/11 at 11:28:06:
Bubba wrote on 07/01/11 at 07:44:02:
Or get one of these...

http://www.brammo.com/empulse/

Now I'm impressed !

Now I'm EMPressed !

There,, fixtit4ya..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 07/01/11 at 12:54:37

Using the corn oil in gas also makes your food cost more at the grocery store.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 07/01/11 at 13:15:05

Bill,

It's not corn oil that gets mixed into our gasoline.   It is ethanol/alcohol that can (but does not have to) come from grains, cellulose, grass, kelp, algae, or anything organic that can be gotten in sufficient amounts to mess with it.  

Brazil makes theirs from the whole sugar cane plant and yes, you could drink their 100% sugar cane "rum gas" if you didn't care about metal poisoning, etc.

Most of our stuff is cellulose based and would blind and/or kill you if you drank it.

=============

Corn oil makes an excellent diesel fuel, better than the petroleum product as a matter of fact.

However, it won't work directly in a gas engine.

« Last Edit: 07/02/11 at 02:58:35 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #20 - 07/01/11 at 17:23:31

That electric bike is impressive, but what about the sound? And then lets say I go on a Sunday ride, which averages about 200 miles. Can't do it. After 100 miles, you gotta find a motel to stay and wait 10 hours for the recharge.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 07/02/11 at 02:26:35

100% electric vehicles will not work for most of us as a road car or road bike.   They will work as a get around town vehicle until the batteries get weak then they just get expensive to own all over again.  Until there is a breakthrough in batteries this is just the way it is.

==================

Brazil has Ford of Brazil built vehicles that run on 100% alcohol that use a two gallon tank to hold just enough gasoline to get the car started, then it autoswitches to 100% alcohol.  Compression ratio is very high, similar but not quite as high as a diesel as alcohol has excellent anti-knock properties -- the Ford cars make some fair horsepower and get fair but not stellar gas mileage.

100% road alky in Brazil costs around $2 a gallon as they grow a whole lot of sugar cane anyway and they press some of it for sugar and use the rest to make yeast based alky and they burn the pressed mash and stalks to fire the boilers that separate out the alky.  They run a power generating turbine with the fresh steam then cool the remainder in water towers to separate the water and the alky.  

Nice system, an American rum company built the first one then the Brazilian government took it over and built more bigger ones.  They grow all the cane they can and supply either sugar or molasses directly, then they can make Bacardi's or cheap road alky according to where the demand is.

As Brazil grows and industrializes, they will outstrip their home grown alky supply and have to go with oil like the rest of us.

America's future alky model involves growing large amounts of sawgrass and using genetic material from termite gut bacteria to use modified anaerobic bacterial to crack the stuff directly down into something liquid that can be converted into either road alky through cracking or a fairly direct form of organic diesel.  

The Army/Air Force is sponsoring a process to use a modified algae to do the same thing to a watery sludge of sawgrass (or anything else organic) in a big assed closed tank.  

Neither process involves boiling anything in bulk (costs too much energy to boil the amount of stuff we would need to process).

We have a National Defense imperative to develop other home sources of fuel to be used in case of a war (since we aren't allowed do drill any more domestic oil wells).

As dino oil peters out, you will see more alky in everything.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #22 - 07/02/11 at 06:20:36

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/02/11 at 02:26:35:

100% electric vehicles will not work for most of us as a road car or road bike.   They will work as a get around town vehicle until the batteries get weak then they just get expensive to own all over again.  Until there is a breakthrough in batteries this is just the way it is.

==================

Brazil has Ford of Brazil built vehicles that run on 100% alcohol that use a two gallon tank to hold just enough gasoline to get the car started, then it autoswitches to 100% alcohol.  Compression ratio is very high, similar but not quite as high as a diesel as alcohol has excellent anti-knock properties -- the Ford cars make some fair horsepower and get fair but not stellar gas mileage.

100% road alky in Brazil costs around $2 a gallon as they grow a whole lot of sugar cane anyway and they press some of it for sugar and use the rest to make yeast based alky and they burn the pressed mash and stalks to fire the boilers that separate out the alky.  They run a power generating turbine with the fresh steam then cool the remainder in water towers to separate the water and the alky.  

Nice system, an American rum company built the first one then the Brazilian government took it over and built more bigger ones.  They grow all the cane they can and supply either sugar or molasses directly, then they can make Bacardi's or cheap road alky according to where the demand is.

As Brazil grows and industrializes, they will outstrip their home grown alky supply and have to go with oil like the rest of us.

America's future alky model involves growing large amounts of sawgrass and using genetic material from termite gut bacteria to use modified anaerobic bacterial to crack the stuff directly down into something liquid that can be converted into either road alky through cracking or a fairly direct form of organic diesel.  

The Army/Air Force is sponsoring a process to use a modified algae to do the same thing to a watery sludge of sawgrass (or anything else organic) in a big assed closed tank.  

Neither process involves boiling anything in bulk (costs too much energy to boil the amount of stuff we would need to process).

We have a National Defense imperative to develop other home sources of fuel to be used in case of a war (since we aren't allowed do drill any more domestic oil wells).

As dino oil peters out, you will see more alky in everything.

There is nothing wrong with using alcohol as fuel. I am just worried about being forced to use this stuff on equipment that was designed to use just gasoline as fuel. It may work on lots of equipment, but it also may destroy other. The point is to leave a choice. It's a matter of principle. I am thinking of people with older vehicles, that may not be suited to run on gasohol. And these people are not seldom just people with little money that have enough to do with keeping those older vehicles alive as is. They don't necessarily have the budget to get something better. IF this stuff breaks their engines, they have nothing.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 07/02/11 at 06:46:56

http://alcoholcanbeagas.com/

This guy was on George Noory the other nite.. I thinkl hes right on in several areas,, others,, errmm,, not so much,, but info on what plants yield the greatest %age alky makes me wonder WHY are we even growing corn to make it with,, many other plants yield much higher %age alky.
One thing he said regarded sewage treatment,, Using Cat Tails to clean the water , then harvest them for the alky, sure made sense,, He also said an individual can make it for around $1.00/gallon,, & then compost the leftover crap, Rotating crops, too,, he mentioned several crops that could be rotated thru on the farm to keep the soil healthier & the pests at bay.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #24 - 07/03/11 at 16:37:49

I heard that C2C show.  It was pretty interesting.  I had the same opinion of it as you.  I hear a lot of bashing of ethanol in the gas around here in Texas.  Not sure if it's just the influence of Big Oil though, lol.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 07/03/11 at 16:52:25

Well, Cool, Mr Brown,,Its nice to have someone agree once on a while,,

The bashing looks reasonable to me,, gas doesnt store as well,, seems to deliver less MPG, & some gas tanks on motorcycles & boats get hurt by it.

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #26 - 07/03/11 at 18:14:45

Yeah I remember the guest making a big deal out of going to the assembly plant and that the vehicles were no different wether they were for gas or ethanol.  He just seemed to be oblivious to the fact that ethanol/alcohol vehicles might NEED to be different because of the problems they have.  I hear stories on a local car talk radio guy of cars motore being severly hurt by the stuff as well.

It's not a horrible idea in my opinion if they can work it out better, anything to get off of middle eastern oil I say.

Electric cars and solar/wind/hydro power plants would be fantastic.

I'm keeping my thumper though, I love that noise!

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 23:33:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.