Send Topic Print
Seat and muffler (Read 156 times)
Quizno
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Seat and muffler
06/30/11 at 05:50:51

OK so am I stupid? I cant figure out how to open my seat, or get the muffler off. I loosen the bolts and clamp and I cant pull it out far enough to get the bolts away from the brackets to pull it off. am I supposed to loosen something lest ?    I putting on a Harley muffler.

IP Logged
VAFarmer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Seat and muffler
Reply #1 - 06/30/11 at 06:22:11

I will reply to you, but I HAVE NOT taken the muffler off of mine, just looked at it.......

Seat should have a 10 mm bolt on each side underneath, right where the curve is steep on the drivers seat.   Then rear seat is held on by a single 10mm screw in the center of the fender, will be more visible once driver seat is removed, if yours is a 2 piece.

I have looked at taking the muffle off,  but have not.   If its like most exhausts in general, you end up taking more off that just what you want to work on...... Angry
IF it is hard coming off, soak the joint in a solven that will not destroy your chrome overnight, and be generous with the soaking.   Put rags behind it to keep overspray of your bike.   Next moring, try to gently tap it off with a rubber mallet, preferably in the area under the cosmetic cover.  Could try lightly tapping a flathead in the seam, just be careful, this will easily cause a bend.

FWIW, now that I look at it more, I might be prone to remove the whole shebang, clean back to the head. Pipe and all...  Might cost a slight amount extra for a gasket, but looks like it would be bewkew (redneck spelling for beaucoup) easier if the muffler is gonna be contrary while coming off.

Im sure the experts who have done it have a better method.

God bless and good luck,

Farmer

IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #2 - 06/30/11 at 07:11:55

I took the whole exaust off and replaced the gasket for it. Much easier to make that joint fit for the HD slip on. You can take the exaust to a muffler shop and have them put a 10 degree? bend in the tip so it does fire into your rear brakes. Someone wrote up a great post in the tech section. What kind of muffler is it? Sportster, dyna and lower nighttrain pipes fit.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298689417

The stock heat shield is held on by a clamp with one nut I think and the muffler is mounted to the frame bracket by two bolts that have a cushion, spacer and a washer on it. After that the actual muffler it on by a single pressure clamp with a bolt. Soak some creeper oil on that if the joint won't release. Use a mallet or a hammer if you don't care about dinging up the muffler and work it back and forth. All of this is easier out of the bike.

As for the seat I'm buying a new one and fabbing new spring mounts for it so no clue on removing the cover.

99 savage: k&n filter, .6 spacer mod, 152.5 main, stock pilot, open HD shorty "muffler" and currently working on bobbing.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 06/30/11 at 07:39:30

easy...If a one piece seat remove the allen screw at the back of the seat, 2 bolts under the sides of the seats hold it to the frame (undo those) pull the seat back and to one side or the other.
Muff...loosen the header bolts at the engine...it should give you enough wiggle room to clear the back brackets.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/30/11 at 07:57:50

Yea, "Opening" the seat doesnt work so great on these..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Quizno
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/30/11 at 11:07:47

Thanks All ..... This thing sounds way better...
Quizno

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 06/30/11 at 11:16:51

Okay, don't know if you're stupid. Two screws or bolts underneath on either side of seat back toward the pillion seat. I changed mine to Phillips screws since they stay ok without excessive tightening. OE muffler has a clamp on the header secured by a 10mm bolt I think. Also two bolts hold it to the factory bracket kinda under/behind. Heat shield is held onto muffler itself and comes off with muffler. I put a Night Train muffler on without any adapter other than a soda can gasket.  Stupid people usually don't ask for help or ask if they're stupid.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:15:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seat and muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.