Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
drilled out long baffle in 98 savage (Read 136 times)
mattnovy82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

drilled out long baffle in 98 savage
06/25/11 at 18:23:57

i drilled out the long baffle of my bike because i wanted more of a deep sound it worked but got a lot of backfiring so i did the spacer mod its a little better but not much. im thinking about maybe adjusting the air/fuel mix screw? to get to it do i have to drill out that little brass plug? i heard the screw is behind it and if so how long is the plug to drill out and how far should i turn the screw? thanks in advance

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: drilled out long baffle in 98 savage
Reply #1 - 06/25/11 at 22:14:28

Wrap tap around the drill bit so it will only just BARELY put a hole in the cap, then screw a drywall screw into it, but dont go too far & hit the brass air fuelmix scew.
Use a screwdriver that fits well, GENTLY & SLOWLY screw in till it TOUches, fingertips are plenty, be gentle. Count the turns in. Then count back out & open it a bit more thn it was. REmember where you started, so if things dont go well, you can at least get back to square One.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mattnovy82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/26/11 at 08:59:12

cool thanks i got it out last nite but havent had a chance to ride yet it was already about 2 turns out i backed it off 1 more turn well see how it goes!

IP Logged
mattnovy82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/26/11 at 10:23:01

also do i need to adjust them jet screws at all or are they supposed to just be snug?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 06/26/11 at 10:52:59

Well, the tiny little spring that keeps tension on the screw is kinda loose @ 3 turns out.. better keep an eye on that screw, mark the carb in line with the slot ( magic marker) & mark th end of the slot youre spotting the carb mark to. Check often & IF its turning, either rejet OR, take a spring off a ball point pen & put on it.. Always count turns so you can get back to square one without drama.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 06/26/11 at 11:27:44

matt, I adjusted mine with a hot motor at idle. You can hear best range for idle as you pass it. Turn in or out until it gets a good idle. Should be close to good.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 06/26/11 at 11:32:10

I ut a little scewdriver in my pocket & went for a ride,, adjusted it at red lights, till I was happy,, AAAAND I got to ride,, instead of just letting the engine/exhaust get hot idling..

IP Logged
mattnovy82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/26/11 at 13:25:52

thanks guys that really helped but what about the jet screws are they adjustable the actual jets?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/26/11 at 13:29:17

Nope,, jets are drilled out & thats all they do,, if ya dont like the one ya have, ya gotta swap it for a different one.

IP Logged
mattnovy82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/27/11 at 14:35:59

thats kinda what i thought thanks alot been a big help and where can i go to find some aftermarket performance stuff for my bike? recommend anyone or any website with reasonable prices?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/27/11 at 14:38:34

What kinda performance parts you after? YOu can get jets almost anywhere.

IP Logged
mattnovy82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/27/11 at 18:43:16

well a good exhaust or maybe just the muffler, jets, air filter i need badly, and i heard there is some kind of power chip or somethin that would bump it up close to 800cc not sure if that is true but that would be nice and anything you can think of i havent mentioned that would enhance the bike in any way possible..?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/27/11 at 19:09:00

Supertrapp is a tunable muffler. Spendy, but th best out there for performance, imo.. Air filter? I have one of the K&N units,, but, I wish I had either stayed with stock or done the Old Feller mod,,
Lookin back, Id get a Dyna muffler for 20 bucks & stayed stock on the air filter or done the O,F. Mod,
You can get cams from ,, Ohh Crappp,, senior moment,, cant remember right now,, anyway, you can swap your old cam in on a reprofiled one, & get a nice bootst, Theres a couple O guys here who have seriously Hot Rodded their up,, ask them what they did..

IP Logged
mattnovy82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/27/11 at 19:41:14

what is the old feller mod? ive never heard of that

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #14 - 06/27/11 at 19:53:05

The "Oldfeller" mod is a custom hi-flow air filter that reuses your stock box & parts...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1183640744

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:17:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › drilled out long baffle in 98 savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.