Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
UPDATE:   Hit a Rock--Big Damage?? (Read 377 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Hit a Rock--Big Damage??
Reply #15 - 06/25/11 at 08:28:41

Here is my risk splitting 2 cents ....

Pull out any chunks of rock or broken aluminum you can reach.  

Spray it clean with brake parts cleaner, sand it with VERY COARSE wet or dry sandpaper (Lowes sells the stuff as super duper woodworking sandpaper), spray it clean and totally oil free with break parts cleaner, mop it up so it dries totally grease and oil free.

Mix up some fresh JB WELD metal repair paste (the kind that can be ground, machined or tapped) and fill in the hole not pressing too much up inside the cases beyond a little bit you worked in on purpose around the broken lip edge to make sure it has an inside ledge to keep it from being pushed out by piston "huff" and circulating oil forces.  

As soon as this "coat the edges good" gets stiff enough to support another layer stick a piece of screening to it and push the screening in and get it bound firmly  to the coat the edges stuff.  Now quickly mix another layer sorta large and go a goodly distance out around the outside embeddding more screen to provide some mechanical strength which gets greater as the layers of embedded screening get layered on.  

See if you have some aluminum screen that you have laying around (or buy some from Lowes) and add that to your second & third layer to lend the necessary physical strength.   Each new layer of screen should be a little bit bigger than the last one so it bonds to a new fresh clean area of sanded case.  

Build up the screening and JB up until you have something as strong or stronger than the case used to be ....

If that first over the hole JB/mesh layer won't stay still and in place properly, use saran wrap and some duct tape to hold it in place until it sets up, then peel off the saran wrap and roughen the surface a bit with the coarse sandpaper before the next layer goes on.  

Once it sets up for 1 full day after the last layer, then put you some oil in the crankcase and ride that engine until it dies, meanwhile looking for that mythical "good used engine" that everyone else is looking for.

This path is cheap, quick and gives you all the use you would get out of that engine in whatever shape it is in from the oil loss.

Might last for years ..... might die tomorrow --- but it allows you to find out for less than $10 and a day or so spent fiddlin' wid it.

==============

BTW, which case has the hole in it?   I am assuming a crank case half (worst case) instead of a side cover.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #16 - 06/25/11 at 08:42:07

So, we'll be good to go as far as the hot cold hot cold expansion contraction thing?  And there still was about 1 quart of oil left in it so I didn't ride it with NO oil in it--motor still sounded ok and everything--wasn't smoking or nothing like that.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 06/25/11 at 08:45:36

Having been thru a few hard times in life, I can say this...
I have never been thru a long, painful trial that I didnt learn something about myself or life in general,, this whole trip is a school & testing ground for souls,, its not always comfortable, Ive never grown while things were all rosy,, only thru trials have I seen personal, spiritual growth. Enjoy the ride.. even when its bumpy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 06/25/11 at 08:51:50

JB Weld "grindable machinable" was built for block repairs on car engines.  It has decades of use and a very positive rep.  

If you are worried, use aluminum window screen material to match the thermal expansion rate of your aluminum cases.  But be sure to laminate in enough mesh to bring some physical strength to the party if you are bridging an air gap situation .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #19 - 06/25/11 at 09:02:40

Justin, I agree, it just seems like I been in the basement for a long time. Oh wait--it was rosy for about 2 weeks while I had some $$, but then right back to the basement. Hard to see the light at the end of the 10 mile long tunnel.

Oldfeller--There is different kinds of JB Weld? I have some JB Weld--black and red tubes--is there a specific different kind that is grindable/machinable?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 06/25/11 at 09:15:45

Sounds like the stuff -- does it say machinable on the tube?

Where exactly is your hole?   How big is the hole?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #21 - 06/25/11 at 09:19:22

No it doesn't say machinable on the tube itself....maybe on the package it comes in?
The hole is right on the bottom front--right side. It's about bb sized, but there is some cracking around it too. All told--maybe 2 pea's next to each other.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 06/25/11 at 09:21:54

might not need the screen if it is bb sized

Remember to push a little bit inside to make a head on the inside.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 06/25/11 at 09:54:42

If the package doesn't say machinable do NOT use it on an engine. Regular JB Weld works great as body filler. Sticks a whole lot better than Bondo type "muds" do.  It also will "work" to a much smoother initial surface, so less sanding is needed. You can use the same screen trick to build up the dented frame tube.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #24 - 06/25/11 at 10:02:53

Gotcha. I think I'm gonna work on this over the weekend. I will update with results. Thanks for all the input, guys!!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #25 - 06/25/11 at 10:38:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/25/11 at 07:02:51:
I wouldnt have been in the same county with someone holdin a torch on a gas tank.

& re: Oil in or OIl out..
I would think the heat would hurt the oil sitting right there at the wound.

He didn't use a torch... he used a honkin' great big soldering iron (no flame or spark-no boom). Possibly the oil would hurt the heat.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: UPDATE Hit a Rock--Big Damage??
Reply #26 - 07/02/11 at 17:52:15

Well, the jury is in.....at least for now. The JB Weld is holding so far. I went for about 50 miles boppin' around town today. No drips. No leaks. No losss of oil. Running good so far. And it was about 84 degrees hot here today. I will run some more tomorrow. And of course, quite a bit on the 4th. It's supposed to be nice here on Monday. I'm a little leary of going anywhere out of town just yet--maybe after a few hundred miles with no problems. We'll see...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: UPDATE:   Hit a Rock--Big Damage??
Reply #27 - 07/02/11 at 19:54:32

If it was mine, Id have some Devcon 5 minute epoxy on board if I was gonna get too far from home, & some oil,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #28 - 07/03/11 at 16:21:17

Glad you are ok and that it seems to be working!

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #29 - 07/03/11 at 18:58:47

Devcon 5 minute epoxy. Where at you get this stuff?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 03:22:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › UPDATE:   Hit a Rock--Big Damage??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.