Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tank wiggle & jiggle ... (Read 167 times)
manitoulinbob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

tank wiggle & jiggle ...
06/22/11 at 10:31:40

had a problem with one of the electrical harness connectors under the tank unclipping (left side of tank) which had the head light cutting out and eventually left me unable to start the bike when it disconnected itself completely.

in order to get my fingers in there to reconnect the connector, had to loosen off the gas tank to get some extra clearance.  i did get things reconnected and put the tank bolts back in.

problem is, the tank does not seem to be "solid" on the bike now.  but i never really had reason to check the snugness of the tank prior to this incident.  does your tank have some side-to-side movement at all??

i am wondering if i have not got the tank seated properly before i put the bolts back in.  does anyone have a photo of how the tank "fits" into the frame?  is it a similar system to how the front of the seat secures to the frame (kind of tongue and groove thing)?

any insight you can offer would be appreciated.  thanks in advance.

Bob

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: tank wiggle & jiggle ...
Reply #1 - 06/22/11 at 10:39:53

The tank sits on rubber biscuits, front and rear, so there should be a little motion. They use rubber rather than some kind of solid mount so bike vibrations don't cause a crack in the tank.

Almost all the electrical connectors on the bike have a locking tab of some kind, so if the connector came loose, it probably wasn't completely pushed together in the first place.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/22/11 at 10:48:04

Yup,... Rubber Biscuits... Cool...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
manitoulinbob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/22/11 at 11:00:37

thanks for the reply.

looks like the clutch cable was being pressed/pinched against the release tab on the electrical connector.  have repositioned the connector and hope that issue has been resolved.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #4 - 06/22/11 at 17:56:38

make sure you didn't drop one of the front "rubber biscuits" out

- the frame has tabs that fit into recesses on the tank to locate the tank.  

"biscuits" slide over the steel tabs, make it a fairly tight fit into the tank recess.  

sometimes you dislodge the rubber pieces, so the tank still stays in place, but has more wiggle and some clanky noises.  check the garage floor

i dunno if you can see the rubber inserts without taking the tank off?

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
manitoulinbob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/23/11 at 10:16:57

thanks for the add'l info.  no spare parts lying on the floor and no clunky sound when i nudge the tank and feel the movement.  but will have a look with a flash light to see if maybe one of the biscuits at the front of the tank has been slightly dislodged or is not seated quite right.  

appreciate the help.

IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #6 - 06/23/11 at 11:14:10

I doubt you really have a problem.  Grabing the tank on both sides I can rotate mine from 3/4 inch to 1 inch in either direction without a lot of pressure.  I know that seems kinda sloppy but that's how mine has been since I've had it.

IP Logged
manitoulinbob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/23/11 at 16:17:25

had a look and can see the rubber biscuit on the left side.  the right side is hidden and out of sight.  the left side looks to be properly seated.

i agree ... i think things are fine.  just got to second guessing after putting things back together.  like i said, never had any reason to wiggle the tank prior to this electrical connector issue popping up.

thanks for the help.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 13:31:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tank wiggle & jiggle ...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.