Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Heads-up for the RYCA builders (Read 248 times)
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Heads-up for the RYCA builders
06/22/11 at 12:31:04

Some post-build issues:
1. I don't have the carburetion just right yet. We are a sea level using a 155 main/55 pilot. We had the air/fuel mixture screw at 2 full turns out from seating. Too rich. We are trying just over 1 full turn out now. Ryan told me today he is using 152.5/52.5 at sea level in LA and it's running strong.

2. The socket head bolt on the top left of the rear set bracket is making light contact with the drive belt edge. I purchased a button head bolt of the same size and will try that.

3. The thumbscrews that attach the side covers are small and the access for the two top ones is tight. The one on the top left side would not stay tightened and now has vibrated away and is lost. I am working on a different way of attaching the left side cover. I believe I will use the kit glue to attach a small bracket to the inside top left of it and run zip ties through it and around the frame. Another idea is velcro tape. Ryan said he uses Loctite on them and tightens them with pliers.

4. The kit muffler is loud. We took it apart and replaced the packing with high quality Moose Racing packing. That helped a little. We will be fitting a stainless steel crumb cup (1.5" diameter) to the outlet end of the baffle. This is reported elsewhere as being effective for the EMGO reverse cone shorty muffler (Google 'crumb cup mod emgo muffler'). I had a state patrol man right behind me the other evening. I was ever so careful with the throttle. He did not bother me, but I was worried.

5. I've drained the carb bowl twice. There was quite of bit of sediment from the tank modifications.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: Heads-up for the RYCA builders
Reply #1 - 06/22/11 at 12:49:55

BuckRYCA wrote on 06/22/11 at 12:31:04:
3. The thumbscrews that attach the side covers are small and the access for the two top ones is tight. The one on the top left side would not stay tightened and now has vibrated away and is lost. I am working on a different way of attaching the left side cover. I believe I will use the kit glue to attach a small bracket to the inside top left of it and run zip ties through it and around the frame. Another idea is velco tape. Ryan said he uses Loctite on them and tightens them with pliers.

I think one of the first applications for Velcro was attaching interior panels on commercial aircraft. The panels could be easily removed to gain access to systems, then easily reattached. That's what we want with the side covers,right? So I could see bolting the side cover brackets to the battery box with standard nuts and bolts, then using Velcro to hold the side covers to the brackets. The trick would be properly prepping the backsides of the panels so their half of the Velcro stays adhered to the fiberglass weave texture. Perhaps the kit glue would help with that.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #2 - 06/22/11 at 12:52:00

We will be fitting a stainless steel crumb cup (1.5" diameter) to the outlet end of the baffle.

This would affect your jetting, no?

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 06/22/11 at 13:09:44

.... I've drained the carb bowl twice. There was quite of bit of sediment from the tank modifications....

As Oldfeller recommends, we are using paper element filters between the tank and the carb specifically to handle this situation.  The coarse strainer on the petcock is not much more than a rock catcher.  

Before we started bodywork on the tank, we cleaned them out as best we could, but with all that modification, there is most likely a lot of gorpmuck still inside that will gradually work its way loose.  I expect we'll all have to flush out the tanks a few times during the first few thousand miles.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #4 - 06/22/11 at 13:21:04

Yes, MotoBuddha, the crumb cup mod may affect the jetting and that will have to be taken into account, but it's also reported to increase torque with the EMGO shorty muffler.

For the side covers, the problem is the upper thumbscrews. Access is tight. I was thinking of using the remainder of the kit glue - either to attach a small bracket to the inside of the upper corner of the cover through which I would thread a zip-tie and fasten to the frame. Or to attach velcro tape to the backside of the side cover.

Gyrobob: I've got an in-line fuel filter in addition to my Raptor petcock filter. The sediment that's finding its way to the carburetor bowl is ultra fine. It may clog a paper filter element.

Also another issue I forgot to mention:  During our build we found that the kit-supplied 1/2″ machine screws (RM-0042, #8-32 x 1/2″) were too short to engage the rubber insulated rivet nuts (RM-0036). This required a visit to Lowes to purchase #8-32 x 3/4″ machine screws which did the trick.

Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 06/22/11 at 14:32:02

BuckRYCA wrote on 06/22/11 at 13:21:04:
Gyrobob: I've got an in-line fuel filter in addition to my Raptor petcock filter. The sediment that's finding its way to the carburetor bowl is ultra fine. It may clog a paper filter element.

Also another issue I forgot to mention:  During our build we found that the kit-supplied 1/2″ machine screws (RM-0042, #8-32 x 1/2″) were too short to engage the rubber insulated rivet nuts (RM-0036). This required a visit to Lowes to purchase #8-32 x 3/4″ machine screws which did the trick.

If the paper element clogs up, it has done its job perfectly.  If there are great heaping mounds of muck in your fuel system, you WANT the paper element to catch it all,.. even if it clogs up.  If the bike stops running from fuel starvation, it is quite preferable to have the problem be a clogged filter (cheap, and easy to replace) rather than a clogged carburetor (not cheap, a big hassle to remove and service, many more opportunities for you to screw it up).

I don't know what your expertise level is with carbs, but sometimes a clogged up carb NEVER returns to normal, no matter how much carb cleaner, elbow grease, talent, new parts, and compressed air you apply.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - 06/22/11 at 14:50:45

Since my tank rusted a little on the inside between the time I stripped it and the time I got it back, I'm going to de-rust it and epoxy coat the inside. I'm thinking that should take care of whatever might be inside.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #7 - 06/23/11 at 05:37:37

Agree that a clogged filter is preferable to a clogged carburetor. I was noting it only in case fuel starvation was posing a mystery. My in-line fuel filter (40 microns) is a glass-bodied see-through so it would be apparent to me.

« Last Edit: 06/23/11 at 13:17:50 by BuckRYCA »  

MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #8 - 06/23/11 at 12:58:25

4. The kit muffler is loud. We took it apart and replaced the packing with high quality Moose Racing packing. That helped a little. We will be fitting a stainless steel crumb cup (1.5" diameter) to the outlet end of the baffle. This is reported elsewhere as being effective for the EMGO reverse cone shorty muffler (Google 'crumb cup mod emgo muffler'). I had a state patrol man right behind me the other evening. I was ever so careful with the throttle. He did not bother me, but I was worried.

I picked up a crumb cup today.

I suppose the usual way to install it is down in the end of the baffle, like this:

(Like my little screw drawings?) When it's like this, the holes on the side of the crumb cup are pretty much up against the inner wall of the baffle, so not much air is flowing through the side holes. This would be the quietest way to do it.

But if you want a little more flow/noise, I'm thinking you could flip the cup around, like this:

What I'd really like to figure out, though, is a way to mount it in the end of the cone so it would stay in place but, when the mood strikes, it could be easily removed without taking off the cone.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 06/23/11 at 18:23:26

Motobuddha,... cool photography!!!  Yes, I like the screws, and the way you digitally installed the crumbcatcher.

I'm anxious to see what effect that thing has on noise and on performance.

(in the military, a crumbcatcher is a cummerbund)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 13:36:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Heads-up for the RYCA builders

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.