Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
For you guys-n-gals running stock carbs setups.... (Read 248 times)
VAFarmer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

For you guys-n-gals running stock carbs setups....
06/22/11 at 06:01:15

What type of fuel are you using?

Regular, Mid, or high grade unleaded?

Think I got ahold of some bad stuff last week.   Went for a ride at twilight last night.....started and let it idle for ~2 min, and then took off.   Coasting in neutral down the last 1/2 mile down the drive road, and it cut off.   Took a couple tries to start, and then I hit the parkway and took off.   Seemed like it was "surging" a little thru the whole range, so I hit a straight strech then caught 4th and wound it up.  

Ran at 60 (too fast for this time of night on the Blue Ridge Parkway) for about 3 miles and turned around, and ran back.  

Seems like it blew whatever was in the way out......cause it ran normally from then on.

Anything you guys recommend adding every 3-4 tanks?   STP or something?

Thanks in advance and God bless,

Farmer

IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Re: For you guys-n-gals running stock carbs setups
Reply #1 - 06/22/11 at 06:08:40

I just use regular unleaded (87).  I tried 89 and 91 for a few tanks, and didn't notice much of a difference.  Some people will tell you to put in Seafoam with your gasoline.  It's supposed to clean your carbs.

Maybe your bike just needed to warm up some.  Depending on temps, 2 mins isn't enough for me.

IP Logged
HalfPint

Cumming, GA
Reply #2 - 06/22/11 at 06:12:14

My bike has always run well on regular. Smiley

1987 Pearl Savage ^_-
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 06/22/11 at 06:12:57

[quote author=6B4C544A57594651230 link=1308747675/0#1 date=1308748120]  Some people will tell you to put in Seafoam with your gasoline.  It's supposed to clean your carbs.
quote]
+1

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
VAFarmer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/22/11 at 06:59:57

I have used Seafoam in small engines before with good luck, will go home tonight and put a little in the tank tonight.

Thanks for the replies and God bless,

Farmer

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 06/22/11 at 07:41:04

These bikes are designed to run on regular.  Using mid-grade or premium is not only economically unsound, it is silly.

Regular gas has more energy in it than the other two because it has fewer chemicals in it for knock suppresion.

Any engine that does not ping on regular, will actually have slightly worse performance with any higher octane gas.

Another tip,... mid-grade gas is always the least-fresh gas.  The stalest.  The gas that is most likely to have muck in it.  This is because there aren't any vehicles designed to run on mid-grade, so most folks use regular (because it is the right thing to do) or premium (because their vehicle needs it, or because they are being silly).

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 06/22/11 at 13:16:55

They don't need hi octane
They don't need any seafoam....unless the tank is already got dirt in it.
What they do need is a fuel filter,......there are far too many reports of dirt getting in carbs here. There is only one way dirt gets into a carb, it DOES NOT have a fuel filter So we either need to filter the fuel going into the tank, or filter it before it gets into the carb.

And the myth of 6 month - 1yr old gas-gasahol causing any problems whatsoever, go tell somebody that will believe it, because I won't !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 06/22/11 at 13:23:48

All of my bikes have come with fuel filters in the gas tank,they have  always worked good for me.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 06/22/11 at 14:21:47

bill67 wrote on 06/22/11 at 13:23:48:
All of my bikes have come with fuel filters in the gas tank,they have  always worked good for me.

Do you ever check the bottom of your float bowl?  The "window screen" on the fuel filter in the tank (petcock actually) only keeps out the larger chunks.  Anything from fine sand to many types of other crud will get right past those stock filters.

Both our bikes in the Double Ryca Build,  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304722902  had built up muck in the float bowl and both of the bikes had petcock filters that were fully functional.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 06/22/11 at 14:26:06

Pretty amazing anything ever runs.. & just how rude, crude & clunky IS an engine? Look at that,, its a lump of aluminum, flinging up & down in a hole with rings around it, each with a short section missing, & these rings drag up & down on a sleeve,, otta just go to pieces after abut an hour, but they go up & down millions & millions of times in some engines.. its amazing to me,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 06/22/11 at 14:35:23

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/22/11 at 14:26:06:
Pretty amazing anything ever runs.. & just how rude, crude & clunky IS an engine? Look at that,, its a lump of aluminum, flinging up & down in a hole with rings around it, each with a short section missing, & these rings drag up & down on a sleeve,, otta just go to pieces after abut an hour, but they go up & down millions & millions of times in some engines.. its amazing to me,,

Yes,...  yes.  PFM

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 06/22/11 at 15:14:43

Where does this fine sand you talk about come from,When you get gas there is a filter on the gas nozzle.I have always kept my bikes and lawn mowers and power washers,, weed whackers,and other engines in a dry garage maybe thats why I never have the troubles some people have on here.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 06/22/11 at 15:18:33

Wisconsin is too cold for dust to live... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #13 - 06/22/11 at 15:23:25

Had a very minor amount of sand type material in my float bowl when I removed it this weekend. My 2005 bike just turned 7k and I'm pretty sure that's the first time the bowl has been removed. For personal piece of mind I will be adding a filter.  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 06/22/11 at 15:27:41

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/22/11 at 14:26:06:

I am totally there. I think it is harder on people like us to ride than people who have no idea what is going on inside that little beast.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 19:52:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › For you guys-n-gals running stock carbs setups....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.