Bad Gas mileage (Read 803 times)
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Re: Bad Gas mileage
Reply #15 - 06/16/11 at 05:26:30

drums1 wrote on 06/15/11 at 17:57:34:
Cleaning and adjusting the carb might help some. You may be running rich. How high is idle set? How heavy is your throttle hand? Mostly highway or city miles? All these things could factor in. I'm running pretty much stock on my '87 and getting 54.5 mpg. If you're only getting 35, something ain't right.

I hear what you're saying JOG and I've thought about that but his 87 is supposed to have the same jets as mine and he's getting 54.5.  I don't get it.

Anybody else here running a 86 - 88 completely stock?  What kind of mileage are you getting?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 06/16/11 at 05:31:45

Well,, where are ya doin the gear changes? Low rpm or you windin that thing out? I think I know the answer, I just hafta ask,cuz Im not gettin it either. I really dont see how one can drink that much gas & not be messin plugs UP,, but, I spose they do, cuz the MPG youre gettin is in the Normal range, just not the desirable end of it,,
HEY! YOu dont live where my dad did when he was a kid do ya?
Back then, when he had to walk to school, it was uphill gettin there & uphill goin home,,
You may need a smaller front wheel.. get that thing pointed downhill a bit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #17 - 06/16/11 at 05:39:47

Well I'm usually in top gear by 45 mile per hour and I wouldn't consider that winding it out, would you?  Lower gears pretty much the same but I don't know the exact speeds.  As I said, the plug is black but it never fails to start and runs down the road just fine.

Ha! I think your dad was telling a little story there cause I haven't been able to find any hills down here yet. Smiley

I'll consider the smaller front wheel.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 06/16/11 at 05:46:56

I figured you were riding it reasonably,, just had to ask.
How many lmiles a year you put on it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #19 - 06/16/11 at 06:08:39

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/16/11 at 05:46:56:

Well, from 93, when I bought it, till last fall I had only put about 2,000 miles on it but since I retired and moved down here I've put over 3,500 miles on it.  Haven't been riding quite as much lately since it's been over 100 almost every day and I just don't like riding around in a furnace.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #20 - 06/16/11 at 06:20:51

I just ran 120 miles before I had to switch to reserve (Raptor petcock) filled it this morning 2.1 gallons...guess I'm doing ok! Smiley

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 06/16/11 at 07:25:30

OE wrote on 06/16/11 at 06:08:39:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/16/11 at 05:46:56:

Well, from 93, when I bought it, till last fall I had only put about 2,000 miles on it but since I retired and moved down here I've put over 3,500 miles on it.  Haven't been riding quite as much lately since it's been over 100 almost every day and I just don't like riding around in a furnace.

The reason I ask is,, IF youre gonna go chasing Better MPG, youre gonna spend some $ & some time. Before I did a deal like that, Id have to decide if its gonna be worth it in the long run,, If you spend $100.00 & 20 hours of hair pullin & you get 10 MPG improvement, how many miles will you need to ride before youve saved enough gas to make it al worth it?
I figure I could change the plugs & wires & rotor & cap on my ol pikkup & get better MPG,, but its okay now,, not too bad, & Id have to run thousands of miles to recoup my investment in saved fuel, so, Im not messin with it now,,

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #22 - 06/16/11 at 08:35:23

I'm going to try cleaning the air filter ,which I didn't check this year cause I cleaned it last year ,and only drove about 800 mi. Also It used to backfire going down a hill ,and now it doesn't any more ,but it does pop on shutoff. How can you tell if your air filter is beyond cleaning with an airgun ? I should probably just go get a new one . Thanks .

IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #23 - 06/16/11 at 09:57:18

rl153, if it were me I'd just bite the bullet and buy a new filter, then there's no question that it's good.

JOG,  not really chasing fuel mileage.  I could live with the 37 mpg and just go on but what bothers me is why is it running so rich to start with on a completly stock engine.  Running rich, at least that rich,  just isn't good for the engine.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #24 - 06/16/11 at 10:34:33

Have you ever checked that your not dragging somewhere?...
Brakes,... wheel bearings,.. belt too tight?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #25 - 06/16/11 at 10:42:06

Well, my belt is a tad too tight, but that's a personal problem Smiley

Oh, you mean on the bike.  I've checked it and it seems ok.  The bike rolls plenty free enough and actually the rear brake could stand adjusting up a little.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #26 - 06/16/11 at 10:47:12

Just to rule it out...

How to check your petcock,...

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #27 - 06/16/11 at 10:57:30

Check your tire pressure too.  Including with load.  Shouldn't have that much effect, but several little things could add up.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #28 - 06/16/11 at 11:06:18

Serowbot wrote on 06/16/11 at 10:47:12:
Just to rule it out...

How to check your petcock,...

I don't know about rl153 who started this thread but mine is a Raptor.

Checked tire pressure and added a little and didn't make any difference at all.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #29 - 06/16/11 at 11:16:04

OE wrote on 06/16/11 at 05:16:26:
Also forced the deceleration valve (air shut off valve) open so it can't close.  That does cause a little exhaust backfiring when decelerating but not bad.  I get the standard pop when shutting it off.

One thing,... that's a transient enrichment valve...  forcing it open is adding fuel...
...at least I think so...
??? Huh...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:22:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bad Gas mileage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!