Send Topic Print
Bad Gas mileage (Read 803 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Bad Gas mileage
06/15/11 at 14:29:23

My bike is a 2005 with 4k miles on it . I haven't changed the plug yet . What does it mean if you're only getting 35 miles to the gallon. Otherwise the bike seems to run good and strong ,except for ticking valves( Plenty of oil) Thanks.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Bad Gas mileage
Reply #1 - 06/15/11 at 15:59:37

rl, You are AT LEAST 15mpg short. I don't think the wickers among us with highly moded bikes get that low. I would check first and very carefully for leaks. Or a brother-in-law with a siphon hose.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 06/15/11 at 17:57:34

Cleaning and adjusting the carb might help some. You may be running rich. How high is idle set? How heavy is your throttle hand? Mostly highway or city miles? All these things could factor in. I'm running pretty much stock on my '87 and getting 54.5 mpg. If you're only getting 35, something ain't right.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #3 - 06/15/11 at 18:24:36

They are city miles ,my idle isn't really high, I don't see anything on the floor under the bike, I do get into it a bit when I ride ,nothing unusual. It seems last year ,it got better mileage. I put seafoam in it once this year. Thanks for your input.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 06/15/11 at 18:45:49

All city riding, heavy throttle,......you're not far off the bottom side of normal.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 06/15/11 at 18:52:13

He doesn't know his reason for his low gas mileage.

He has to find out why he gets the same mileage I do.

Start with simple stuff -- clean your air filter (or replace it)  Plugged up air filters can cause very rich run conditions.

Clean or replace your plug with a nice new one so you can see if the rich running conditions abate after replacing the air filter.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 06/15/11 at 19:48:29

Something is not right. I get 50-60 with my 96 set up as a bagger. Full fairing, side hard bags and a trunk. Hauling my 200 lb. body around. I like the sound of a big single w/ HD muffler so have serious twist the wrist syndrome. One size up on the slow and main jets. Stock air inlet, and stage 2 cam.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/15/11 at 21:38:55

IDK how fast youre going b4 ya change gears, but this bike has Torque,,change gears with the engine loafing,, High gear at 40 MPH is okay..
Your best MPG is found at the lowest speed you can get in high gear & not lug it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 06/15/11 at 21:55:44

Didja ever hear about these 2 old cojers that bought identical cars, but one got a ho bunch better gas miliage the other,........
Naw,...last time I told it people got all paranoid and stuff ! Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #9 - 06/15/11 at 22:11:51

I've never checked my Savage's gas mileage.  I use it primarily for short commute to work and running quick errands around town.  All I know is that it's a HELLUVA lot more than I get with my Suburban or our Chrysler 300!!  Cheesy
And ALOT more fun to ride! not to mention easier on the wallet than filling the 40 gal tank in the Suburban) Grin

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #10 - 06/15/11 at 22:13:23

I also get around 38 mpg.  I've cleaned my air filter before, and not noticed any leaks around the carbs.  I do all city driving, pretty heavy on the throttle.  

Oh, I also don't think I'm running rich because there are pops on decel.  I've tightened the header bolts, and am using the stock muffler.  I dunno what else could be wrong, so perhaps 35 is just what you get driving in the city all the time.  And by city, I mean an urban, stop every few blocks situation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 06/15/11 at 22:27:28

I ride the snot outta mine & I have the Stage 1 cam & a Supertrapp with 14 disks & I get 49 MPG.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 06/16/11 at 04:43:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/15/11 at 22:27:28:
I ride the snot outta mine & I have the Stage 1 cam & a Supertrapp with 14 disks & I get 49 MPG.

Jog,
Keep it up and I'll be forced to tell the "2 old cojers" story ! Grin

Rich
  IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #13 - 06/16/11 at 05:16:26

I've got the same problem. Plug is black, pipe is black.  86 model, stock carburetor, stock muffler.  New air filter and a Raptor petcock.  Needle has the stock white spacer.   Cleaned the carburetor (soaked) at least three times and blew it out with compressed air and I'm still only getting max 37 miles per gallon.  It has about 8,800 miles on it.

I'm a conservative driver and travel mostly open back roads with few hills (not many of them here in Florida.) at between 55 and 60 mph.  Very seldom do I romp on the throtle.  The bike seems to have more than enough power to pull my 260 pounds down the road.  It only requires a little over 1/4 throttle to maintain 55 - 60 mph, flat and level and no wind.

I also replaced the main and pilot jet thinking PO might have messed with them.  155 main and 47.5 pilot.  I wnted to replace the needle jet and needle but they're out of production.  New dle screw and O ring and it's set at 2 and a half truns out.

I plugged the choke (starter enrichment valve) opening thinking it may be leaking extra gas into the venturi.  

Also forced the deceleration valve (air shut off valve) open so it can't close.  That does cause a little exhaust backfiring when decelerating but not bad.  I get the standard pop when shutting it off.

I've got the float set at the very lower limit also.  The 86 doesn't have the drain valve so you can't check the gas level with a tube like Verslagen suggested.  Even replaced the float, float needle and seat.

In all from what I've done the mileage did increase from about 34 to about 37 but that's no where near what I've seen reported here.

Bike starts and idles perfectly even without the choke.  If I get on it at 55 it'll be going past 75 in a heartbeat. Then I chicken out.

I do have a little studdering (miss) at low speed like when driving through town but that has actually improved since I made the changes I mentioned.  I think that's tied in somehow to the poor mileage problem. Too rich.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/16/11 at 05:20:24

I think back n the stone age they came stock with jets fat enough to run rich,, late models had leaner jetting to get thru EPA requirements, Some Guru can clear that up,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:21:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bad Gas mileage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.