Send Topic Print
running out of fuel (Read 194 times)
turuncuoglu
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

running out of fuel
06/15/11 at 05:38:15

I have just got a 2002 savage LS.  I really like the bike but I am having a problem with the fuel.  I ride only 30 miles or so a day and everyday I have to refuel.  I ran out of fuel and have to go on reserve somewhere around 35-40 miles when I refuel the tank is full after 0.9 gallons.  So I know it is not leaking but what is happening?

Any help would be great.

Thanks
T

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: running out of fuel
Reply #1 - 06/15/11 at 05:51:03

Once you ridden on reserve a little did you ever try  putting it back to normal setting.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
turuncuoglu
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/15/11 at 06:08:05

Wow this is so simple but it never occurred to me to try it.  I will try that next time. If it does run like that what would that indicate?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 06/15/11 at 06:14:05

I ready don't know,Try putting some Sea Foam in the gas see if that helps.Most auto stores and walmart have it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #4 - 06/15/11 at 06:50:41

If I understand correctly, you have the symptoms of running out of gas after using about a gallon. There's still fuel in the tank when you "run out?"

Here's a guess. There might be a problem with the vacuum function of the petcock -- either the vacuum line leaks (more likely) or the diaphragm has hardened (less likely). What might be happening is that the diaphragm doesn't want to open enough. When the tank is full, the weight of the gas is enough to force it's way around the diaphragm, but with less gas there isn't enough weight.

But that's jus a guess.

One way to test if it's something to do with the diaphragm is to turn the petcock to PRI. This bypasses the diaphragm. Just remember to turn it back to ON or RES when you stop riding or you might flood the carb.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #5 - 06/15/11 at 06:51:18

bill67 wrote on 06/15/11 at 06:14:05:
I ready don't know,Try putting some Sea Foam in the gas see if that helps.Most auto stores and walmart have it.

And if not, some Klotz.  Grin

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 06/15/11 at 07:23:43

Or you could try filling the tank.  Holding the nozzle into the tank, compressing EPA vapor boot junk, will leave you with less than 2 gallons.

If you have a used bike it could have been dropped, with a big dent in the tank, filled with plastic body filler.

Pushing to the gas station I have measured and my tank holds 2.93 gallons, filled to the lip.  Twice to test that I was correct.

WWW   IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #7 - 06/15/11 at 07:34:59

Could it be a dirty primary filter screen on the petcock - only letting gas through at a higher tank level?.... just a thought. Smiley

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/15/11 at 07:55:50

Yea,, Pladin is probably on it.. get where you can see into the tank. There is a tube lookin affair going down from the gas cap hole. Fill to the bottom of that tube.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
turuncuoglu
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/15/11 at 08:00:02

I am pretty sure the tank is full because I can see the gas going all the way to the top and sometimes i spill a little.

Or am not understanding your suggesting?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/15/11 at 08:26:49

No,, you understood,, & if Im reading you right, its actually over full..
Now,, fill to where I said, run it, when it starts acting like its out of gas, open the gas cap & look in, if its still got gas, see if itll run again, maybe the gas cap vent is plugged?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 06/15/11 at 08:38:02

Before you add more gas, try leaning it from side to side, "feel" the sloshing, and maybe you can tell if there is much in it or not.  Heck, shine a flashlight down in there!

Have many mods been done to the bike?  Maybe a PO did something strange inside the tank.      

And just to clear something up for me...  Running on RES is not pulling from "another" tank, its just pulling from lower in the tank but still using the diaphram, correct?  So technically, you could always run on RES, you just wouldn't have any "more" reserve if you run it too low?  Right?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #12 - 06/15/11 at 08:46:06

Another possibility is the tank isn't venting properly, creating negative pressure in the tank so the gas doesn't want to flow. You can check this by popping the cap the next time it seems to run out. Then, if it runs again, you know where the problem is.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 06/15/11 at 08:48:12

Running in reserve or in prime means you have NO reserve, both will empty the tank completely without warning.   But you must take this risk while troubleshooting your problems.

Running in prime is intended to see if your vac petcock is bad.

Here is your test instructions:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #14 - 06/15/11 at 09:17:46

Paladin. wrote on 06/15/11 at 07:23:43:
If you have a used bike it could have been dropped, with a big dent in the tank, filled with plastic body filler.

If he can put only .9 gallons in after he thinks he's out of gas, that "big dent" would have to be more than half the tank.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:18:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › running out of fuel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.