Send Topic Print
Any Veterens? (Read 214 times)
scroop

Good grief, not
again!!!

western PA
Any Veterens?
06/14/11 at 19:08:21

Hey, it's flag day (almost over now) and I wanted to say "Thank You" to all of you veterens out there in Savage land.  Post a picture of yourself in your uniform (past or present) if you have one.  I just spoke to a veteren of the Korean conflict last week who had a Korean gentleman come up to him this past memorial day and cry like crazy on his shoulder thanking him over and over again and telling him how greatful he was.  It really made my friend feel great.    

Ride free!
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Re: Any Veterens?
Reply #1 - 06/15/11 at 07:48:20

Scroop -

Lots of us vets on here, but like I, most don't talk about it much.  For me, originally Army, then Air Guard after that.

Sorry, no pix - I couldn't begin to get a old uniform buttoned around my girth these days.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #2 - 06/15/11 at 07:58:42

My husband is a former Marine. He doesn't want me to post his pic though.

Sanity runs from my family!
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 06/15/11 at 10:29:48

In 1966 I was looking at the Draft, Army, and a trip to Viet Nam -- so I enlisted into the Air Force.  Serving four years in the Air Force versa two years in the Army?  DUH!!  They trained me, 9 months in school, then sent me to Athens, Greece.    
A couple of us in the 2879th GEEIA -- Asak, Black Pete, and Bozwell.
Bob Wagner and me, 2006, in San Diego.  He was on vacation, I stopped for lunch (just 120 miles one way.)  We reminisced while his wife sat dumbstruck -- she realized that all those stories were true!  (Bob had received a ticket for loud mufflers on his Triumph Bonneville, fastest wheels in Greece.  "How plead?"  "Not Guilty.  My mufflers are under my bed and are very quiet."  "Dismissed."  They cited him for a loud muffler, not for no muffler.  Heh!  I love the Law.)

I still have my International License, issued 28 Jan '67.  Rank listed as A2C (Airman Second Class) SGT (Sergeant) S/SGT (Staff Sergeant, E5.)  The Air Force is slower to get rank than the Army.  Promotion to E-5 before four years was exceptional.  I made E-5 just before three years.  Usually a E-5 has salad over his pocket -- I have two, national defense service which everyone had since since it was wartime, and my Marksman ribbon.  No one bothered to give me a Good Conduct Medal, even though I earned it.

It was four good years, good memories, good friends.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 06/16/11 at 03:06:35

Not gonna happen, the only pic I have of me in uniform (SeaBees) I look like a kid playing dress up. I burned every copy I could find of my boot camp photo, I wasn't fleet Navy. I think the white uniforms got burned as well.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 06/16/11 at 05:00:43

My dad was an instrument mechanic and electrician serving with a Lancaster squadron during WWII. Years ago CURA in Hamilton was restoring a Lank and they asked him to help. He turned them down because he didn't want to drive to Hamilton (72 mi) every weekend to work on it. Years later at a local airshow the Lank was on display and for a Father's Day gift I had pre-arranged for him to have a tour and a flight on it.
After he got out of it I asked him how he liked it and he said "They were a hell of a lot bigger when I was 18". Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #6 - 06/16/11 at 06:11:11

I was not in the service, but I appreciate all those who were.  I have a very good friend, more like an adopted grandfather, who was career military.  4th ranger battalion, served in WWII, Korea and Veit Nam, ended up in the Pentagon.  He has some real stories to share and has a very cool album of his career.  

Sadly, his age is catching up with him and he has become very feeble.  Breaks my heart.  All I can say is "Thank you"

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 06/16/11 at 10:01:13

USN Diesel Engineman 60-64. All ComServPac duty assignments. USS Delta AR-9 (Long Beach, CA) and USS Conserver ARS-39 (Pearl Harbor, HI). Was good for me and I went to OIT in Klamath Falls afterward for more schooling. Would like my ashes spread at sea but my wife says no. Such is life. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 06/16/11 at 10:06:53

us army 62 64 and jan 15 to  feb 30 1966 under the command of colonel corn and general nuisance

« Last Edit: 06/16/11 at 19:49:34 by bill67 »  

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 06/16/11 at 17:05:11

phhhht

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #10 - 06/16/11 at 18:22:40

Nobody will like this, but Memorial Day isn't for us vets, that is Veterans Day.  Memorial Day is for those who died while in the service.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/16/11 at 18:40:02

Now now,, lets not be splittin hairs..

Me?served 73 to 76,, wore the Nam svc medal, but never left the country.

Our military is used like the strong arm of the mafia, to do the bidding of the world elite,, we arent THREATENED by any of these targets,, gimme a break,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 06/17/11 at 15:04:08

You're lucky you never went over there. My dad has 2 Purple Hearts and he was a personnel clerk (Cu Chi, on top of the tunnels), didn't go EOD until he rotated back stateside. His older brother has 5 Purple Hearts, Marine Force Recon, Danang/Natrang.

I had the cushiest job in the Navy, sit on a beach in Spain for 7 months, drink beer, look at topless girls.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 06/17/11 at 18:05:11

WD wrote on 06/17/11 at 15:04:08:
...I had the cushiest job in the Navy, sit on a beach in Spain for 7 months, drink beer, look at topless girls.

Sounds like my job in GEEIA, The Air Force's Ground Electronics Engineering & Installation Agency.   We were  based in Athens, Greece, but our job was everywhere else.  We had no work to do in Athens.  In Athens we would simply show up in the morning and noon and ask about any jobs coming, about 15 minutes, disappear.  Athens had the weather Los Angeles claimed.  I was there for 2.5 years.  Base did not have a chow hall -- so they gave us $70 a month for food.  I could eat for a month for $25.  Barracks not enough space, since GEEIA was off the base, we others lived off base -- another $70 a month.  Heh!  Liberty and I shared a house that ran $50 a month.  About $90 excess over bed and board.  Cigarettes were $1.70 a carton.  A fifth of good whiskey was $1.75, $2.25 for 12-year-old.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 06/17/11 at 18:24:44

My draft number was over 300. Father had a brain tumor, so I was torn about going on my on. Just celebrated my uncle's 90th b'day. He was in N Africa with artillery. He was the head gunner on a Battery of about 10 guns. He says he was responsible for all the guns when it came time to figure aiming and firing. I got him a 3'x5' flag. He always calls me on holidays and tells me his flag is out in the wind. I appreciate all Vets, no matter when they served. My wife surprises these young soldiers when she crosses the mall or the parking lot to shake hands and say. "Thank you for your service."

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 18:24:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › Any Veterens?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.