Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ryca build -- steering stop mods (Read 118 times)
runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Ryca build -- steering stop mods
06/08/11 at 11:35:18

Anyone else doing the Ryca build and thinking about modding the steering stops to reduce lock slightly?  With the lower clip-ons, the switch gear is dangerously close to whacking the gas tank at full lock.

There's got to be a better solution than blobs of JB Weld.  Any suggestions?

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: Ryca build -- steering stop mods
Reply #1 - 06/08/11 at 11:59:18

"Dangerously close" is still not touching. It has to touch in order to do any harm.

If it makes you feel better, you can rotate the clip-ons slightly forward.

But I suppose you could also weld a bit of bead to the stops on the frame. It might take nothing more than a couple of spot welds. A small amount at the stops will be magnified out on the clip-ons.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/08/11 at 12:10:05

JB weld a slab O metal on it, then drill & tap & run a bolt in it, grind the bolt off smooth

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - 06/08/11 at 13:09:23

Or, more simply, drill and tap holes in the steering stop tabs on the lower triple clamp, then screw in small button head screws so the heads are on the part of the tabs that contact the steering stop on the frame.

If you don't have a tap set, drill the holes at a size that lets the screws slide in, then epoxy them in place.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/08/11 at 13:13:00

Yup.. thatd do it..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Reply #5 - 06/08/11 at 14:27:51

Thanks guys.

So MotoBuddha, nothing touches on yours at full lock?  When I put it over on the sidestand, with the front wheel cocked to the left, the bike wanted to flop to the left a bit and it seemed that if I let it really flop rather than catch it and lower it gently onto the stand, the switchgear would have hit.

Tank's off at the moment, but I'll see if rotating the switchgear a bit does the trick.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - 06/08/11 at 16:35:53

Mine's not to that assembly stage yet. The frame is out for powdercoat and the tank for paint.

But if the clip-ons come to rest at position X when eased down, they'll still got to position X if dropped into it. There's only so far it can go -- particularly since the clip-ons don't have a rubber mount like the handlebars do. The clip-on's aren't going to flop around. Now, the tank is rubber mounted and can shift position minutely. So, like I said, you could rotate the position of the clip-on forward a bit. Chances are you won't feel the difference in hand position after a move that gives you, say, a quarter inch of tank clearance. Or you could do one of the other mods.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/08/11 at 18:05:48

Mine is all mocked up and there is plenty of clearance between the bars and the tank. I rotated my clip-ons forward a little bit and found a comfortable position that just so happens to clear the tank.

IP Logged
runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Reply #8 - 06/08/11 at 18:11:06

Thanks again guys.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home