Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Well, here she be..... (Read 1297 times)
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Well, here she be.....
Reply #15 - 06/08/11 at 12:00:42

Bubba wrote on 06/08/11 at 06:46:43:
Details on that fender please! Wher you get it? how is it attached?

I second that request.

Almost looks like BCB fender, but I didn't think you could get that on its own....

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #16 - 06/08/11 at 12:05:35

He said:  "Things I'm sold on: the old Magna front fender on the back"

So my guess is it came off the front of an old Magna.   Wink   Of course, that still doesn't answer the question of how it is attached....   

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #17 - 06/08/11 at 13:16:16

Looks like the back has stays running to the lower shock bolts. The front looks like it's bolted to the swingarm cross piece,  either horizontally or via a tab from the bottom.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #18 - 06/08/11 at 13:21:22

Thanks for all the props!  Makes a fella feel better about his mediocre fab skills.....

On to the replies.....

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #19 - 06/08/11 at 13:29:33

spacepirates wrote on 06/08/11 at 12:00:42:
Bubba wrote on 06/08/11 at 06:46:43:
Details on that fender please! Wher you get it? how is it attached?

I second that request.

Almost looks like BCB fender, but I didn't think you could get that on its own....

It's the front fender off an old Yamaha (or was it Honda?) Magna that I picked up at a local wrecker for $15.  With the help of a friend of mine, who's like the Yoda of metal fabrication, we cut it to length, and drilled and tapped 2 holes into the swingarm.  The struts are welded on, made of 1/4 pencil rod that we bent to fit and mounted off the shock bolt on the drive side and the Tag Bracket on the other.

The only reason I'm not sold on it is because of my own impatience; I didn't smooth out the welds enough before finishing.  That'll prolly be my first project come winter.

As for the BCB fender kit, you can in fact buy parts of the kits they have online individually, just send them a message and ask.  The seat and signals (but not the brackets, made those) are from them, (though I traded up for the seat with another one I had, to be clear) and they even sprang for free shipping on the stuff I did order.  Very cool people.

« Last Edit: 06/08/11 at 15:37:43 by Smokestack »  

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #20 - 06/08/11 at 13:33:05

papi_ocho wrote on 06/07/11 at 21:29:56:
Battery-interested-details?
air filter-please tell me more! Part number?

The battery is an Odyssey.  The PC310, which is the smallest Powersports one they make.

Linky:http://www.odysseybattery.com/powerspecs.html

Edit:  The filter is a K&N Cone.  I went to a local shop that stocks the stuff and asked for a cone that fit the Carb mouth diameter.  Don't remember the part number though...  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #21 - 06/08/11 at 13:41:26

babyhog wrote on 06/08/11 at 08:29:35:
I LOVE the handlebars.  Bilwell Frisco, huh?  Gonna have to look into them.  

Overall - sweet lookin' ride.  Thanks for sharing pics.

Biltwell bars pretty much rule.  The chrome is honest to god immaculate.  

A few things about 'em, though; first, the wall thickness is substantially greater that the stock bars, and they have their anvil logo capping the left end, so the OEM end caps won't fit without some modification.  Also the Friscos in particular have almost zero pull back.  I dig that personally, but some might not.  They make a pile of different styles, though....

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #22 - 06/08/11 at 13:46:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/08/11 at 06:57:21:
Youve done so much to make it look light & trim,, & its lookin good, too. I think if you could find a decent heat shield to replace the stock one & slipped a Dyna muffler on it, you be really tickled with the look AND the sound..
The down side is, you will get a bit of a power bump,, ohh blast,, thats just a shame, innit? Might hafta rejet, too..

Yeah, I was gonna try and get the pipe settled out 'cuz dang but that OEM is a heavy bugger.  Another winter project, I expect.  The only stuff I think I'll do over the season is cosmetic stuff, like a pink bandana fork skimmer for Skat...

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #23 - 06/08/11 at 13:57:56

Smokestack, The look, to me, says it's all about the engine. The rest has been built up to support the engine. The stock muffler looks good, also. Someone laid some pretty puddles on the "oil tank". I like the gas tank treatment. I don't remember seeing the Savage logo like that. Was it stock one year? Good work to be proud of.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
ROB CYCLE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 06/08/11 at 14:10:20

GREAT JOB!! the oil tank with key switch looks totally ol'school cool.what did you fab it from? and can i steal that . fellow canadian lol

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #25 - 06/08/11 at 15:17:41

Boofer wrote on 06/08/11 at 13:57:56:
Smokestack, The look, to me, says it's all about the engine. The rest has been built up to support the engine. The stock muffler looks good, also. Someone laid some pretty puddles on the "oil tank". I like the gas tank treatment. I don't remember seeing the Savage logo like that. Was it stock one year? Good work to be proud of.  Smiley

Thanks!  The welding was all done by my metal fab Zen Guru, an old friend of mine.  He's a welder by trade, and agreed to help me build my little Rice Grinder.  I can lay a bead OK, but I don't trust my welding when rollin' on the highway....

And it's a '96, if that helps with the logo thing....

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #26 - 06/08/11 at 15:34:03

ROB CYCLE wrote on 06/08/11 at 14:10:20:
GREAT JOB!! the oil tank with key switch looks totally ol'school cool.what did you fab it from? and can i steal that . fellow canadian lol

We cut some 4.5" O.D. with 1/8" wall aluminum pipe, and it was TIGged at my friends work.  I dig the look of TIG welding, and he found some time to burn it out one day after hours.  I punched the big hole in with a 1.75 endmill and threaded the mounting hole on the OEM ignition switch with a 1/4-20 tap.  The little button head bolt down below the switch is holding it in place, threading right into the original hole.

As far as stealing ideas goes; by all means!  I'll try to help anyone who wants to get into a build like this, and I'll answer all questions to the best of my abilities.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #27 - 06/08/11 at 21:37:35

ALfromNH said, "I suppose you are right but couldn't someone do the same things with your bike sitting in a parking lot or in your driveway? your licence plate # is out there for all to see."

Having it online makes the info available to millions more folks than the few who would drive by your bike sitting out in front of the local strip joint.

Smokestack, the bike looks cool enough for sure,... but what is it like to RIDE???  How does it feel zipping around in the twisties, or posing down the boulevard, or commuting, etc.?  Have you tried it out on a trip of an hour or two?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 06/08/11 at 21:42:23

Gyrobob wrote on 06/08/11 at 21:37:35:
ALfromNH said, "I suppose you are right but couldn't someone do the same things with your bike sitting in a parking lot or in your driveway? your licence plate # is out there for all to see."

Having it online makes the info available to millions more folks than the few who would drive by your bike sitting out in front of the local strip joint.

Smokestack, the bike looks cool enough for sure,... but what is it like to RIDE???  How does it feel zipping around in the twisties, or posing down the boulevard, or commuting, etc.?  Have you tried it out on a trip of an hour or two?

Not as likely with our budget busters... but when you got a custom HD chopper and you brag about everything that's in there... why tell 'em where you live?

WWW   IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #29 - 06/09/11 at 11:12:01

Hey,
Did you use 1" or 2" wide exhaust wrap?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:16:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Well, here she be.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.