Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mufflers, mufflers, muffle-rs 2002 Savage (Read 135 times)
johnnymac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mufflers, mufflers, muffle-rs 2002 Savage
05/25/11 at 17:49:14

OK, I know short or loud mufflers sound good sometimes. Sometimes I wish my bike made a bit more "rumble" The shorties and the megaphones all look great. I've looked at the other shorty mufflers and the Emgo megaphone for my 02 Savage

Does anybody keep any records or figure out just how the mufflers affect the performance or mileage. Just curious. I had a 1981 650 Maxim with a 4 into 1 with a megaphone. It sounded great, like a screamer. I bought it that way, I don't know what it did to the performance, but it sounded faster than my GoldWing. I don't think it was though. it got 47 MPG always.

I hear low restriction mufflers detract from low end performance? I had a 1500 Gold Wing and it had loud mufflers and ran great, but got at best 33 MPG. Others I knew with the same bike got mid 40s.
I also now have a Kawasaki BN125 Eliminator, and it is a fun little bike, and gets 70+ MPG but it is quiet, and slow. I took the muffler off for 5 minutes and rode around the block with it, it sounded like a F-1 car, very loud and screamy. Way too loud and I put the muffler right back on.
I am just curious to what the low restriction mufflers do to the performance.
I always thought open pipes burned up the valves. I am a long time rider and drive like a mellow old guy most of the time. Sometimes I just like to hear it wind up a little bit.

Thanks guys for any input.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Mufflers, mufflers, muffle-rs 2002 Savage
Reply #1 - 05/25/11 at 20:14:28

You have an apples and oranges thing going here comparing 650s and 1500s and 125s with and without mufflers.

There are a few basic rules that apply to performance and mileage on motorcycle motors.

The stock setup usually works pretty well.  The manufacturers usually spend a lot on getting everything in that motor balanced properly -- cam timing, compression ratio, heat ranges, carb jetting, intake and exhaust resonances, back pressure, air filter flow rate, ignition timing curve, etc.  So,.. it you mess with any of it, there is bound to be some ripple effect that will "unbalance" the system.

If you reduce the back pressure by changing to a freer flowing exhaust, it'll make more noise and will run worse,....

unless,...

you richen the mixture just the right amount, and, if you have an older bike with adjustable ignition, you can advance the spark a tiny bit.

(Also, some of the modern computer-operated fuel-injection/ignition system can actually adjust for these kinds of changes, so some of these comments don't apply.)

You'll get more power, and for the same amount of acceleration you used to use, it will require less gas.  

Problem is,.. most guys get a big kick out of having a few more horsepower and hearing the tough-guy exhaust sound, so they accelerate harder and lower their mileage.

Oh,.. about your burned valves comment.  The valves don't usually burn up if you lower the back pressure, but, unless you richen the mixture, they might run hotter (and burn up) because of the lean mixtures.  

To summarize, if you change to a less-restrictive muffler, you'll have less back pressure, more noise,.... and, if you rejet the carb, more performance,.... and, if you use the same gentleness on the throttle as you did before, a little better mileage.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 05/25/11 at 20:20:43

johnnymac, You were right to put "rumble" in parenthesis. It's hard to get a rumble out of one cylinder. You can make it sound less like a lawnmower, or you can just make it loud.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
johnnymac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/26/11 at 13:51:23

Thanks Boofer, you know exactly what I am getting at. Geez my dad had an ACE hardware riding mower in the late 60s with a big single for back then maybe a 7 HP,  sometimes when riding the Savage I have flashbacks about the old mower.
Ever ride an old mini bike with the 5HP Briggs, sometimes I think of that. putt   putt   putt, you can feel every time the engine fires.

It is a cool bike though, and I have wanted a big thumper for a long time, just to see how they are. I remember the old BSA singles and then there's the Royal Enfield. I read on here about guys doing the cafe thing with their bikes. It appeals to me to convert the Savage to a standard type bike with a Triumph tank and muffler, and round chrome fenders with struts on them. Add a 350  or 200 Honda seat and know one could ever tell. Except you wouldn't drip oil and your lights would still work.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 05/26/11 at 17:06:25

PM sent.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:23:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mufflers, mufflers, muffle-rs 2002 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.