Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
first bike, advice gettin her running (Read 93 times)
kd2727
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

first bike, advice gettin her running
05/25/11 at 08:00:28

hey all, new member, new rider, and just bought my first bike! 2002 savage ls 9800 miles....gorgeous......just need to get it started....

it had a dead battery when i showed up to check it out...tried another battery i had but it was too small and the seller wouldnt let me jump from car...yeah yeah yeah, as long as the engine is off shouldnt hurt it but whatever.....

as we were trying to get it started you could smell the darn varnish cooking....the bike "apparently" hasnt been started since december...6 months ago....needless to say, it didnt turn over, but i bought it anyway.....its in MINT condition and i got it for 1260....so even if there is something else funny....i can easily flip a bike this nice overall on craigslist if needed...not sure how she rode it like she claimed when the title i was handed was still in the name of the guy she bought it from...lol....i didnt make a stink, no sense when i was going to buy it anyway....

my limited knowledge base tells me im going to have to clean the fuel system i guess, lines, tank, carb....but thats ALL i know...as far as getting started with step 1, what products to use, common newbie mistakes to avoid etc etc i could use some help...

im excited at having my first bike, frustrated i cant ride it yet, and scared at the possibility more is wrong with it than that, but there is no way of knowing yet.....

how should i start this process? ill be chewing on this all day till i can get outta work, get home and start tinkering.

thanks all in advance for whatever you can share with me.....i plan to stay around as i hope to turn this into a bobber one day....

KD

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: first bike, advice gettin her running
Reply #1 - 05/25/11 at 08:09:45

Congrats, and welcome!  You've come to the right place.

Have you gotten a new battery yet?  That would be my first step, expecially since you might have to order.  Big Crank is one of our favorites...  http://www.bigcrank.com/category/suzuki-l650-savage-all-battery.html  

How much gas was in the tank?  6 months really shouldn't have been that bad, but sounds like the carb will definitely need cleaned, and change the oil and other fluids.  The "experts" around here will chime in soon....

Oh and let's see a picture of it when you get a chance!  We love pics   Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
kd2727
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/25/11 at 08:28:27

there wasnt much gas in it, but you could smell both from the tank and especially the exhaust that it was gonna be causing problems internally.....ill get pix up soon, its the stock silver....garage kept, not a dot of rust ANYWHERE

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 05/25/11 at 09:05:21

Just put some Sea Foam in the gas and new gas in, charge the battery,put water in it and it should  be ok.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 05/25/11 at 09:11:32

I would recommend draining what gas is in there and starting over. As a precautionary measure I would replace the fuel line (5/16") and the vac lines (smaller, don't remember size exactly).

These bikes take a full charge to get them started, so a new battery is your best bet, but you might be able to get it started if you give the old one a thorough charge. BH is right the Big Crank is a desirable battery to have, but they run about $90. I've limped by on mine for long enough, but I think I will replace it with a similar to stock battery for closer to $40.

Do a thorough inspection of the cables/hoses/tires, check for dry rot and fill to the proper PSI.

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes or if you  need more help.

(PS - be sure you have engaged all safety switches before trying to start 1. on/off switch by throttle, 2. kickstand up, 3. clutch pulled in & 4. bike in Neutral)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
kd2727
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/25/11 at 09:17:27

would autozone, advanced, or even wallmart carry this type of battery?

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 05/25/11 at 09:58:27

check this thread
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298579303

Stock Battery replacement - Yuasa YB14L-B2

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #7 - 05/25/11 at 10:39:09

Welcome KD2727!  You will learn a lot here, I know I have so far!

If you have a Batteries Plus store nearby, they stock the Yuasa YB14L-B2.  That's where I got mine.  Think it cost around $50 or so.  Good Luck!

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #8 - 05/25/11 at 14:18:42

Do everything the experts have said above and I'd check the spark plug... usually it's the simpler things that get people!

Good luck mate!

Ian (Morgii)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:16:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › first bike, advice gettin her running

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.