Send Topic Print
Muffler Mod (Read 261 times)
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muffler Mod
05/24/11 at 14:41:32

Help!

I just purchased a "stock" muffler from someone on this website and it arrived with the baffle removed.

I am very disappointed but willing to try and work with it.  

Does anyone have an idea if an older baffle can be removed (without difficulty) from another muffler an inserted into another muffler.

The muffler on my savage was damaged when I layed it down and I wanted to get it back to stock condition.  The internals of the muffler has no issues.

Does anyone know if I install the muffler without the baffle will I have to rejet?

R,

J

IP Logged
04 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Muffler Mod
Reply #1 - 05/24/11 at 15:01:49

I have a stock muffler from an '04 savage for sale, only mod was drilled 8 holes in the end.

IP Logged
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/24/11 at 15:10:20

Thanks.

But I am trying to get the bike to as original as possible.

R,

J

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #3 - 05/24/11 at 15:19:01

Put a post in the marketplace section of this forum. Folks are routinely changing out the stock muffler and you may get one for the price of shipping.  DONT pay big bucks for a stock muffler.   Cool

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/24/11 at 17:34:29

mscepu101 wrote on 05/24/11 at 14:41:32:
I just purchased a "stock" muffler from someone on this website and it arrived with the baffle removed.

Does anyone have an idea if an older baffle can be removed (without difficulty) from another muffler an inserted into another muffler.

Does anyone know if I install the muffler without the baffle will I have to rejet?

Since you stated that you wanted a muff not mod'd (drilled out) I would be very disappointed too, especially if he did not disclose it.

Swapping baffles would at least require a welder and I would rate it difficult.

If you're running stickly stocks jets, yes I would say you need to rejet.  But I would say that you would need to rejet even if you left it stock.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/24/11 at 18:32:14

Quote:
Since you stated that you wanted a muff not mod'd (drilled out) I would be very disappointed too, especially if he did not disclose it.

Swapping baffles would at least require a welder and I would rate it difficult.

If you're running stickly stocks jets, yes I would say you need to rejet.  But I would say that you would need to rejet even if you left it stock.

Oh boy!
You have me thinking!

Why would I need to rejet if I put on a stock muffler as a replacement?    

IP Logged
HJH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheyenne, WY
Reply #6 - 05/24/11 at 18:53:04

Because it's too lean stock, unless you're at 10,000 feet.  I'm at 6,000, and had to remove half the spacer on the needle, and richen the main jet, and the pilot jet coule probably stand changing to a larger size, too.  It ran like crap with stock jetting, backfiring merrily along.  
Why not forget the stock muffler and get a Dyna muffler cheap off eBay, 80 decibels stock.  I don't like loud bikes, but I like them to run well, and the Dyna is just fine for me and a lot of folks on this site.

Silver '02, Dyna, Raptor Petcock, VM carb at 6000 ft, Q2 needle, 12.5 pilot, 170 main, UFO, Verslavy, Pirelli 150/90, Plexistar 2 Windshield, K&N filter, Tourmaster II bag, Progressive Shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/24/11 at 18:54:34

mscepu101 wrote on 05/24/11 at 18:32:14:
Why would I need to rejet if I put on a stock muffler as a replacement?    

The world is a big place.  The altitude goes from sea level to mile high denver and beyond.  What works great for me will be too rich/lean for someone else.

I liked 150 jet with a stock muff.  your gutted muff may take a 160.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 05/24/11 at 19:00:15

I think I have both baffles from mine around here. The small baffle was held in by a screw wedging it in. The large one slid out about 6" as I was going down the road, so I just pulled it out. Mine didn't run right at all without them. It shouldn't be too hard to put them back or get someone else to. I think they'll fit in one of those $10 to anywhere Postal boxes. Pm me if you want them, or the whole muffler, but it has acouple of 1/4" holes in the end. It also has a couple of stains on it that I cannot get out. Not bad but they are there and the heat shield. Whatever you need.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 05/24/11 at 19:24:28

Sorry man, I found the baffles. Didn't look at them when I yanked 'em because they were hot. It looks like they are too short for stock.  While it was quiet when I got it they have definitely been cut. I have a Harley quiet muffler number 65842-07. HARFXS 1584. Sorry to get your hopes up. Embarrassed

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #10 - 05/24/11 at 19:51:52

All this talk about rejetting with the stock pipe really floors me, I live at about 2500 feet and ride between home and about 3500. My 09 California bike is stock except for a OEM type K&N and 2.5 turns out on the pilot screw. It runs great, rarely makes a little putt at shutdown, has plenty of power (for a 650cc) all the way through the power range. I also own and ride a 900cc Kawasaki and I can tell you this little Suzuki is not only my favorite bike but runs stronger to about 70mph than any other bike I've owned. I can only imagine the power and speed you guys must be getting,but I'm almost 60 years old and don't want to go much over about 70 on any bike or car for that matter so I'll just leave mine alone.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 05/24/11 at 20:17:52

at 2500 the jets are about perfect, more or less what I said.

WWW   IP Logged
adj_jaker
YaBB Newbies

"Another Dumb
Joke"

Lewisburg, Pa
Reply #12 - 05/25/11 at 05:47:23

I have a 2009 stock muffler that is sitting around if you'd be interested?  It has about 1000 miles on it I believe.

I like to keep things simple..

2009 Stock_White/Silver.
ckyjacobcky   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 05/25/11 at 06:03:48

I'll keep saying it, rejet because you need to, not because you read that others have done it.
At 800 ft elevation, my stocker w/ drilled exhaust runs perfect w/ the stock 145 main jet. But I did have to do a 1/2 spacer mod to richen the low-mid end a little. I did it because it needed it.
I have a perfect idle, so I don't even think about removing the plug over the mix screw. Backfire ?? Learn to live w/ it,......you may lessen it a little by hacking it, but it will always be there. If mine ever quits backfiring, I'll get it fixed.

From all I've read, 1/2 the carb problems here are cause by hacking,......when most times there was no need to do so.

All IMO only !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #14 - 05/25/11 at 14:09:10

hey mscepu101 - don't know if you got this sort out yet, but if you want to pay shipping, i've got one you can have. No holes drilled, no mods done. it's from a 97 and had about 10,000 on the bike when I pulled it. PM me if you want it

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:20:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler Mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.