Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Trying out the new camera (Read 148 times)
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Trying out the new camera
05/24/11 at 21:08:07

Got a little Kodak Easyshare, because I wanted something I could tuck in my pocket without feeling like I was packin' a brick or something.  Took it with me riding this afternoon.  Left the house around 3pm, with nice clear 70° skies.  Figured I take a quick jaunt around the backroads, and hour or so.  Headed north and east toward Battleground Lake.  Got there and decided to head up toward Yacolt and Amboy and enjoy the scenery:

Went a little farther, and caught a glimpse of Mount St. Helens in the distance:

Decided to see how far that way I could go before I started getting chilly.  Not too bad yet:

Got up NE of the Ape Cave area, and it DEFINITELY started getting chilly!

Didn't get all the way to Lava Canyon, as the road was closed due to being buried under snow!  And it figures, this is the one time I didn't have a spare hoodie in the saddlebag. Roll Eyes  Did snap a couple more pics on the way down though:

All in all, a pretty good little jaunt, even if it lasted 3 or 4 hours longer than I'd planned.  Ain't that the way it usually goes though? Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Trying out the new camera
Reply #1 - 05/24/11 at 21:53:19

Nice jaunt,... with nice pics...
Camera's doin' pretty good for ya'... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #2 - 05/24/11 at 22:50:16

Pics look great. So does the bike. Both do justice to the scenery.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 05/25/11 at 05:38:26

Nice crisp, clear, pics John.  You always get such elegant shots!  I prefer Olympus cameras, but certainly don't see any problem with those pics.  Cameras have come a long way, haven't they!

And you started at 70°, then into snow??  Holy cow!  Nice ride, thanks for sharing.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 05/25/11 at 06:46:13

John, You have some great scenery. Cameras vary, but the digitals improve every 6 months, seems like. Give this a try for a week or so. ALWAYS shoot with the flash on. The Mt St Helens pic is a good example. The "fill flash" would bring out the bike and the mountain wouldn't even notice.   Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/25/11 at 09:17:53

thems some great looking pics. wish i had that kind of scenery around here. keep postin them pics

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #6 - 05/25/11 at 15:01:24

Thanks everyone!
Babyhog, that's the reason I love digital cameras: you can take a ton of pics, and surely a few of them will be good! Grin
The main reason I went with the Kodak was mainly because it had decent resolution (pretty much all of 'em do these days), a reasonable optical zoom (5x), and was on sale for $85 (the main selling point! Grin)!

For the real good pics, for me anyway, I've got a Fuji that does pretty good, with an awesome zoom.  I've actually had pretty good luck on the outdoor shots with that leaving the flash off.  Seems to get more even light betweent the foreground and background objects.  And of course the "auto-fix" feature from the photo program doesn't ever hurt either! Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 05/25/11 at 21:06:19

We have a couple of Fuji's around here. Underrated for the features and a great price. Not complaining about your great pics. You make me want to get out and show some of Ms. I just can't always get stuff put on here. Thanks again for the great shots.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #8 - 05/25/11 at 21:52:35

John, nice pics man.. Is that the Kodak Easy Share C190 you have?
If so we have the same camera.
I got mine for Christmas and it goes on every
ride with me. I love the pics it takes as well as the
other features. Now if I can just figure out how to work
them all..  Grin Grin Grin
I haven't been in that area in years. Thanks for those great
pics.
We did go up to St. Helen's from this side couple years ago..
I think it is about time for another visit..
Thanks again for the pics..  Cool kim

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 05/26/11 at 00:53:05

John, I live in Portland. Maybe sometime we could take a ride together. Greg D (the guy who wrote the instructional CD on the main page) and his wife Julie could go also. You can take the pics!

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 05/26/11 at 00:54:32

Maybe even KimChris would like to go! That would be 5 from this site.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #11 - 05/26/11 at 05:05:04

Kim, it says it's an EasyShare M552, not sure where that puts it in the lineup.  First camera I've had that didn't take AA batteries, so I'll have to remember to keep it charged.  Can't just throw some spares in when it runs dead! Tongue  Keeps it smaller though.  When the weather gets a little more reliable, and the roads are all melted off up there, I want to go in from the north side, down that road to Spirit Lake, and maybe on down through Cougar.  That's what I love about this bike, I've hit 170 miles on a tank of gas, so not constantly looking for the next station! Grin  And they're a little far between on some of those roads.

Stinger, that'd be cool to get a few of the area folks together, put some faces with some names.  Not sure if I'd be able to make it, I work weekends, but with a little advance notice, I could probably wrangle some time off.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #12 - 05/26/11 at 05:43:57

My husband found an Easy Share docking station/printer in one of their buildings after a tennant had moved out, so he brought it home.  I was able to hook it up to the computer and print pics, which it printed nicely, but I don't have a camera to hook up to it.

I did just buy a new Olympus 12 megapixel at work for $99.  Its a tiny thing and real basic, but we had a dinosaur that needed replaced.  Haven't taken many pictures with it yet, but so far, so good.  Next time I get to ride to work, I'll take some pics with it for comparison.  It also has 30fps video capability, which I was surprised to see.   Hmmm, wonder if I can figure out a way to mount that to my handlebars.  LOL   

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #13 - 05/26/11 at 07:12:38

ohio thumper wrote on 05/25/11 at 09:17:53:
thems some great looking pics. wish i had that kind of scenery around here. keep postin them pics

Me too. BTW John-D FSO, you solved a problem for me. I smoke a pipe (tobacco Grin) and was looking for a place to carry it on the bike, along with a few small odds and ends. I tried a fork bag, but undoing the buckles was a pain that I thought I would have to live with, until I saw your windshield bag mounted on your sissy bar. I bought some longer bolts and some washer's to space it out 1/4", drilled a couple of holes in a windshield bag and mounted it on my sissy bar. Looks good works good. Thanks for the idea.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #14 - 05/26/11 at 09:58:24

John, your camera sounds very simialar. Mine takes video yet
haven't perfected that yet..

Stinger and John, sounds like it would be a blast to meet
and ride around the Mtn together.
Count me in. I am flexible on time and days for now. Smiley kim