Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hey from Canada looking to buy a S40/Savage (Read 234 times)
zapblam
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saskatoon, Sask, canada
Hey from Canada looking to buy a S40/Savage
05/20/11 at 16:54:32

From Sask, Canada flat prairies.  6' 180lbs 32"

Looking at Suzuki S40 for my next bike.  I like simple both in looks and mechanical.  Looking for no frills daily commuter.  50km (30miles) highway at half 110km/h and half 100km/hr (68mph,62mph).  Rest of commute city 55mph max mostly 30mph.  Not worried about manhood looking at a marketed lady bike.

Replacing a 1982 GN125 due to last years move out of city.  Rode the GN125 for 8 years and loved it around the city.  The 125 was screaming at 60mph and almost considered it good enough make-do but didn't like safety part.  Otherwise would not sell.  Light, no frills, dead easy to work on. Was comfortable enough for me, just a tad cramped but for $50 bike was not complaining.  Sold the 125 for $1000.  And learned a whole lot about bike repair maint and hunting rare bike parts.

Being as I was OK with the tiny 125, think the S40 would be sufficient.  Also great knowing parts are readily available unlike the antique GN.  Would get a windshield this time though to keep wind off chest Smiley

S40 06-08 can be found here $4500-$4000 with windshields and bags.

96 Savage 11000km (6900miles) $2000 obo.  Waiting for email on details, service history and pics before going to look.

Whats the worry level about this cam tension thing I read often?

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Hey from Canada looking to buy a S40/Savage
Reply #1 - 05/20/11 at 17:38:08

Hey Zap, Welcome to the forum. If the 125 suited you the Savage will tickle you. The riding you describe is one of its strengths. Unless mine starts making noise I probably won't worry about the timing chain. It turned over 15,000 last Saturday on a Relay for Life cancer ride. I am used to the noises my bike makes and hope it will give me warning. However, you just have to pull the side cover and look inside for a visual. Not a really hard job, I'm told. One member here, Verslagen1, makes or remanufactures can chain adjusters at a reasonable price. I am asking for him to come on and give his opinion. He is considered the expert on cam chains. Others here are very familiar with this and can help. I just don't want to open mine until I have to. I may be wrong. It's a gamble. Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #2 - 05/20/11 at 17:47:03

The S40 will do you well. I had an 08 for 2 yrs and loved it. I'm 5'5"" 190 lbs and the bike was comfortable. It was on the + 2 hr rides I found it was hard on the old body. You will find this has lots more power than a 125!!!  
Verslagen has the scoupe on the cam chain tensioner with a custom part to resolve this issue  Over time the cam chain tensioner reaches it limit and fails. There's lots of write ups here on this. It was something I was aware of but wasn't going to address until I had 30,000 km on the bike.

Go for the S40. It would be a good step up for you.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/20/11 at 18:20:19

zapblam wrote on 05/20/11 at 16:54:32:
Whats the worry level about this cam tension thing I read often?

It's a maintenance issue, check it every so often and it'll be fine.
If you let it get to this point you should be worried...

Problem is, people don't like checking it.

WWW   IP Logged
zapblam
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saskatoon, Sask, canada
Reply #4 - 05/20/11 at 18:41:18

thanks.  Will go sit on a new S40 at a dealership just to double check fit.  Will feel probably feel like a limo compared to what I am used to.  

The 96  email reply said:
-original owner
-lived on synthetics after its breakin tuneup
-1200k on tires/w receipts.  
-Last spring valves and carb pro adjusted/w receipts.
-New battery
-all stock
-has k&n filter kit but never installed due to researching jet stuff
-only acc suzuki windshield and some cheap side bags.
-knocked over once when he forgot kickstand  and broke original clutch lever and the still cracked signal lens.

Wife loves the style also, and likes the $2000 vs $7999 otd dealership.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/20/11 at 19:33:15

nothing wrong with a '96 with 7k miles
go get her.

WWW   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #6 - 05/21/11 at 06:16:36

You should be able to do better than that for new. I would expect to pay that for a new C50.  

A 96 with 7k miles is darn near new. If its in good shape that would be a good buy!!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
zapblam
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saskatoon, Sask, canada
Reply #7 - 05/21/11 at 08:38:21

That was dealship price without any dealing yet.  
Taxes, freight, warranty, everything out the door price.

Going to look at the 96 today.  Let the $$$$ shell game begin.

IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #8 - 05/23/11 at 10:39:39

Welcome Zap!  I bought an '87 LS650 with only 7,000 mi about 2 years ago and currently have exactly 8k on it.  While I had it apart for the plug cap leak fix, I pulled the clutch cover to check the cam chain tensioner.  It was extended to 17mm.  18mm is the suggested point at which to consider doing something, so I went ahead and had the Verslavy mod done.  Great piece of work and great guy to work with!  The peace of mind is well worth it.

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
zapblam
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saskatoon, Sask, canada
Reply #9 - 05/24/11 at 15:51:50

Looked at but owner was away.  Looks ok, half tires and missing side covers.  And it fits way way better than my 125.  And not as over bulky for my taste like all the other cruisers I sat on this spring.

The wet spots under are I HOPE from the yesterday and overnight rain we had.  

96 13000km.  He wants $2100 obo, wife says $1800 max lol.  Let the testride and money bickering begin.  Meeting owner tonight.

IP Logged
zapblam
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saskatoon, Sask, canada
Reply #10 - 05/24/11 at 16:06:27

darn his email says its new oil leak, will need to bring to shop unless I am mechanical.  May just walk away, but I like it ugh.

any ideas?

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 05/24/11 at 16:26:29

Pic looks nice!  I love the yellow ones.  Use the oil leak as a dickering point.  We can help you fix it, most likely.  Maybe see if he knows where its coming from, or see if you can tell where its coming from yourself, then report back.  Might be an easy fix that he might not know about!  You have plenty of experts here (quite unbelievable, really!) and this is an easy bike to work on yourself, even if you aren't too mechanical.  Side covers show up often in The Marketplace and ebay, usually fairly cheap, so don't worry about those.   Keep us posted!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/24/11 at 16:39:38

Oil leaks are a dickering point, I think one canuk said $900 to fix.
Not an extremely difficult to fix, only takes rtv and elbow grease.
Several threads in the tect section to walk you thru it.

Try to determine where it's leaking, head plug is normal, head gasket not any harder but easier if you take the engine out of frame.  And takes a $40 gasket, usd.

you could fix either in a weekend.

Non stock footpegs, besides looking like the titanic, can be an indicator of a spill.  Minor spills not a problem.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #13 - 05/24/11 at 19:10:01

Be patient. My '01 was 1850 with 7400 miles. Delivered 70 miles. Depends on the area and motivated seller. He came by last summer on his sales route and asked if I was ready to sell it.   Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
zapblam
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saskatoon, Sask, canada
Reply #14 - 05/24/11 at 19:21:50

Went to look at it again after he said he over filled as he just did oil change on weekend.  Looks like he did, still an uneasy thing to trust.  Did he just add extra to cover up, hmmm.   And try to convince wife, knowing it may have an oil problem.  Wife gives evil eye when she heard this oil leak "here we go again look".

Ran very smooth and good long spin around neighborhood was very good.   FAR more usefull power than the 125 and very comfy compared. May drop $1700 offer on owner due to unsure oil issue and higher mile tires.  See where it leads.

I got real good at repairing the 125.  Sat for 10 years with gas before I was given it ($50). Can fieldstrip a carb and clean every passage blindfolded.  Diagnosed electrical, fork maint and other stuff.  Just never engine beyond valves.  Always tinkering with 30 yr old lawn tractor too.  and 30yr old mercury outboard.  

Anyone here put floorboard pegs on their bike, work ok?  Not a deal breaker just curious.  Only thing missing is luggage, will strap backpack to sissy bar for now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 22:40:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hey from Canada looking to buy a S40/Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.