Send Topic Print
Dirty Jobs (Read 428 times)
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dirty Jobs
05/20/11 at 09:52:34

I enjoy watching "Dirty Jobs" on the discovery channel and usually say, eh I've done worse or thats no big deal.  Apparently he, recently testified before Congress (now THATS a dirty job....)

"Testimony of Mike Rowe Before U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation May 11, 2011

(Washington, DC) Chairman Rockefeller, Ranking Member Hutchison and members of this committee, my name is Mike Rowe, and I want to thank you all very much for the opportunity to share a few thoughts about our country's relationship with manufacturing, hard work, and skilled labor.

According to the credits, I am the creator, executive producer and host of a TV program on the Discovery Channel called Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe. In truth, I'm more like a perpetual apprentice.

For seven years, I've been traveling around the country, working alongside the people who grow our food, provide our energy, tend to our infrastructure, and manufacture our things. To date, I've completed nearly 300 different jobs, visited every state, and worked in just about every industry. A less flattering assessment might suggest that I've been fired 300 times in less than seven years. Either way, my current resume has more to do with trying than succeeding, and my opinions should not be confused with those of an expert.

Dirty Jobs is first and foremost an entertainment program. It does however, have a mission statement, and every episode begins the same way. "My name is Mike Rowe, and this is my job. I explore the country looking for people who aren't afraid to get dirty. Hard-working men and women who do the kinds of jobs that make civilized life possible for the rest of us."

For years, no one paid much attention to this mission. But in 2008, the recession made Dirty Jobs relevant in ways I never envisioned. As unemployment became a dominate topic, and my own dirty resume continued to expand, reporters were suddenly interested in my take on all sorts of work-related issues. Labor disputes, free trade, currency devaluations, outsourcing, student loans - I was invited to weigh in on lots of issues for which I had no real expertise.

For the most part, I pleaded ignorance and kept my mouth shut. But when a writer from The Wall Street Journal asked me to "reconcile soaring unemployment with an ever-widening skills gap," I felt compelled to say something. So I referred him to the mission statement of the show and added, "once upon a time, our country was filled with people who weren't afraid to get dirty. Times have changed. The definition of a ‘good job' has changed."

I went on to suggest that the skills gap might not be a "problem," but rather a symptom of something much more fundamental; a societal disconnect with work, brought about by the rapid transformation of a manufacturing-based economy into one dominated by financial services and technology.

The reporter wanted to hear more so I kept talking. I told him about my grandfather, a modest man with an eighth grade education that went on to become a plumber, a mason, a mechanic, a carpenter, and a master electrician. A revered craftsman who could build a house without a blueprint. A man who today, would be mostly invisible.

I talked about the subtle and not-so-subtle ways we marginalize work in today's culture. In the media, our portrayals of working people rarely surpass one-dimensional stereotypes and predictable hyperbole. Best-selling books like "The Four-Hour Work Week" fly off the shelves, a testament to short-cuts, and a growing belief that technology (or something) can somehow replace hard work. I talked about the way colleges have become "institutions of higher learning," while all other forms of knowledge are relegated to "alternative education." I suggested a PR Campaign for skilled labor might be in order, and concluded by saying this Administration's goal of creating three million shovel ready jobs might have a better chance of succeeding if our society still respected the people willing to pick up a shovel.

When the article came out the flood gates opened. On Labor Day of 2008, I launched mikeroweWORKS.com, my own modest PR Campaign for hard work and skilled labor. Its primary purpose is to challenge the notion that a career in the trades is some sort of "vocational consolation prize," handed out to workers unfit for a four-year degree.

Fans of Dirty Jobs helped collect and assemble thousands of links to trade schools, apprenticeship programs, community colleges, on-the-job-training opportunities, and other resources that might be of use to anyone considering a career in the skilled trades. I set up a foundation and began to raise money for the purpose of tool scholarships and farming initiatives. Mostly though, I tried to encourage a bigger conversation, and challenge my partners to get behind this message in a significant way. I wanted mikeroweWORKS to function as a kind of connective tissue for other companies and organizations, and to that extent, I'm happy to say it's working.

Ford, Caterpillar, Kimberly-Clark, Lee, Master Lock, and other large corporations are all working with mikeroweWORKS in some capacity, and are highly motivated to change perceptions about skilled labor. A few weeks ago, Alan Mulally at Ford pulled me aside and said, "Mike, this issue is nothing less than the soul of America. Our country's future is at stake, and this is a battle we cannot afford to lose."

Aside from major corporations, other like-minded initiatives have begun to use mikeroweWORKS as a resource for their own purposes, and I've been honored to speak on behalf of several campaigns that have already been deemed successful.

Last August, mikeroweWORKS partnered with "Go Build Alabama," an education and recruitment campaign designed to bring new people to the commercial and industrial construction industry. I appeared in a series of advertisements that called attention to the fact that one third of all skilled tradesmen in the construction industry are over the age of 50 and retiring fast, with no one to replace them. The campaign drives people to GoBuildAlabama.com, where potential employees can learn more about skilled trade careers and find information about training programs.

In this same spirit, I was also proud to join forces with Caterpillar and The Association of Equipment Manufacturers for the launch of "I Make America," a national grassroots campaign to promote US manufacturing jobs through infrastructure investment and the passage of export agreements.

I would also like to commend the White House initiative called "Skills for America's Future," which is designed to reduce the skills gap by working with employers and community colleges to make sure the education students receive will translate directly into the marketplace, increasing their chances of finding and keeping a good job.

The fact is, there are many initiatives out there making a difference. The problem that so many encounter though, is a tendency to "preach to the choir." With respect to issues like the skills gap, we too often speak only to the people directly involved, the employers, desperate to hire skilled talent, and the unemployed, woefully untrained for the task at hand. To really make a difference, we need to change the perceptions of a much larger audience, and challenge the prevailing definition of a "good job." Americans need to see these workers for what they are - the key to civilized life as we know it. And that means a campaign and a message that reaches everybody.

Toward that end, I'm pleased to help launch a broad-based initiative sponsored by Discovery Communications that will reach millions and millions of people. Discovery's goal is to empower both unemployed and underemployed Americans with access to critical resources that will assist them in obtaining marketable job skills.

TV personalities from across Discovery's networks will participate in this campaign which will leverage Discovery's position as the top nonfiction media company reaching more than 780 million cumulative subscribers across our 14 US networks and Discovery Education's unparalleled reach into schools across the country. Participating on-air talent have been chosen because their distinctive skills are particularly valuable and needed in today's marketplace, and because they are credible to viewers interested in similar professions.

As the leader in both nonfiction programming and broadband-delivered educational content and services to US schools, Discovery is uniquely qualified to deliver this message to a mass audience, and to provide meaningful support on a national level. The people you see on Discovery's air are not only real people, but are also successful professionals working in critical areas of the economy.

To be clear, I support the efforts of Congress and the Administration to create three to four million shovel-ready jobs. But obviously, it's no longer enough to merely create opportunity. If that were the case, we wouldn't have 200,000 vacant positions in the manufacturing sector, or nearly 500,000 openings for tradesmen, transportation, and utility workers. We need to create respect for the work itself, and for the people still willing to do it.

As the host of a TV show about hard work, people often assume I speak for tradesmen and skilled workers. In reality, I don't. I can only speak for myself and anyone else who shares my addiction to paved roads, reliable bridges, heating, air conditioning, and indoor plumbing. The tradesmen I know don't need a spokesman. It's the rest of us who need to worry. Because a civilization without skilled labor, is not a civilization at all.

Along with Discovery, I am ready, able, and eager to partner with the federal government to help reconnect our country to the importance of manufacturing and skilled labor."

http://impact.discovery.com/press/testimony-mike-rowe-us-senate-committee-com...

My father always told me he wanted me to do better and to not have to work as hard as he did.  That's great, but I still can do it and appreciate those who do work hard every day.
Some hard work would certainly benefit a lot of people, there is a lot of satisfaction to be had, along with character building.

what Dirty jobs have you had?  I grew up and worked on a farm.  I have had quite a few dirty jobs, shoveled tons of manure, covered under more dirt  than I care to think about, busted more knuckles working on tractors, trucks, and equipment.
After that, anything is a breeze.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Re: Dirty Jobs
Reply #1 - 05/20/11 at 10:04:59

I saw a report on this on CNN and I agree.

And those who are willing to pick up a shovel or take on any other job where they put their backs into it for thirty or forty years to do the hard work of America, deserve a decent retirement with full medical coverage at age 65.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/20/11 at 10:16:21

instead we let illegal immigrants in to lower the prevailing wage and give them extra benefits to boot (free healthcare).

Brought to you by those who don't care about national soverignty and rules of law. (you know who they are)

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 05/20/11 at 11:46:44

AS a retired vocational teacher (Automotive Technology) I agree with Mike. Not many want their kids to have to get dirty or work hard anymore. However I fear for the day the 50+ YO'ds retire and we have to wait for essential repair we cannot do ourselves. Currently we came back from being a snowbird (now know as winter visitor) to AZ and I have been over 2 weeks waiting to get a plumber to diagnose for sure and then fix our septic tank problem. They finally dug yesterday afternoon and found what we thought was the problem. Roots from nearby willows had totally filled the incorrect pipe (they used perforated pipe with the holes down, supposed to be solid) between the tank and drain field. We wait now for the health department to say what system has to be be reinstalled and then wait to get it done. Go Mike go with your education of the public. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 05/20/11 at 12:50:17

Another big problem is an educational system that trains people for jobs that don't exist, simply to fill classrooms. Case in point: teacher's colleges are graduating new teachers into a market of declining enrollment. Teachers are being laid off all over the place, yet they graduate teachers who will never have a permanent job after 5 or more years of post secondary education. In my son's graduating class in Music Industry Arts at a local college they promised a 73% placement. A few got jobs at music stores and audio stores. My dad was a mechanical engineer, and had to hire technically skilled people from England, Scotland and Germany because we weren't training them here.
The educational system needs a shake-up... big time!

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #5 - 05/20/11 at 13:56:09

I was a fireman on British Rail,I shoveled a few tons of coal every day.
Strangly enough my real name is Michael Rowe aka mike.
In England we had a exam at 11 + years old,it was the results of that test that was the factor weather you went on to higher education, or learned a trade, after my results were in my teacher recomended I work with my hands rather than my head, you can study privatly if you wish,otherwise you leave school at 15 years old.
PS, I think the rules have changed now.But thats the way it was.
                             Mike Rowe

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 05/20/11 at 18:23:05

I have a 13 year old daughter that I try to advise from time to time on her future choice of work. Being a skilled craftsman (carpenter) I recommend she take a 2-3 year course at one of 3 colleges within 40 miles of where I am now. She can go for those years fully paid, with a little scrounging. She will have a craft or skill in medical tech, business specialties, CPA, etc. I also would be proud if she had a lawn care company, painted houses, or many other hands-on jobs. It will ultimately be her choice, and one thing I want her to be is happily married and a mother if she wants children. Again, that's up to her, but I believe she must be a useful person to society and a tax payer, like I used to be. She agrees and is great help around home. Working with your hands AND your mind is, in my opinion, The American Dream.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 05/20/11 at 20:12:09

I am very proud of my younger daughter, she is going to go to college first to learn automotive technology which will make her ASE Certified to work on cars, and she also wants to get a teaching degree for kindergarten on top of the auto tech certification.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/20/11 at 22:21:02

+1 for your daughter. Im in for diesel tech now. A million avenues to branch into, a million ways to specialize, and million job opportunities. All the old gearheads are retiring and Detroit, CAT, Cummins, Navistar, Freightliner, the railroads, dealerships, indy shops etc etc are all having trouble finding young workers who A - CAN do the work B - Are WILLING to put in the time and effort to build a career. I was on a road trip in a diesel bus that died about 30 miles outside of ashville NC. Many Many diesel pickups in the area and only 2 diesel shops one of which was a dealership. Not to mention that about 60%(geussing) of our interstate commerce is conducted shipping this or that back and forth in diesel powered heavy trucks. Construction Equipment, farm equipment, trains, boats....almost all diesel. I said then to myself "this is where the money's at."
Everyone my age thinks they're going to take a million out in student loans, get a 4 year degree and start at $100K. They dont get hold of reality until they 30 and find themselves with a degree in business management making $9 as an assistant manager at PizzaHut and tens of thousand of dollars in unpaid loans.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #9 - 05/21/11 at 04:17:01

Interesting post and comments.

I've been working since I was 16. Started delivering newspapers, then a dishwasher, cut grass, worked as a laborer in construction, drove a cab and was a roadie for a rock band (6 nights a week, almost died). Worst dirtiest job I ever had was paving driveways in the summer heat; I found out what hell is like. Went on to learn a construction trade finishing drywall. Made a good living doing that for most of my life, but suffered several times from a series of housing busts. All of the above jobs, outside of being a roadie, are now mostly done by illegal immigrants.

FSO
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 05/21/11 at 06:39:19

A friend of my son started out at a posh restaurant washing dishes. Then he graduated to making salads, then sauces, then cook's assistant then cook then Master Chef. He is 32 years old and makes in excess of $80 though a year- and he never finished high school- he just worked hard.
Another got his plumbing ticket. He and his wife (a nurse) went up north to Yellowknife, are working lots of hours, saving their money, and will come back and pay cash for a nice house and a couple of cars, and start a family. I taught both of them in High School where they were a couple of losers who I thought wouldn't amount to too much. Shocked

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 05/21/11 at 06:47:08

The job scene here is horrifying. Nobody wants to work, makes it hard for those of us who do.

I've always had "dirty jobs" since I prefer it that way. Wrangler, stablehand, forkilift operator (aluminum mill and sod farms), truck driver (flatbed and containers), mechanic, farm hand, warehouseman, etc. Grew up in the garden, cutting firewood, feeding cattle. I can even work with a team of horses (or mules or oxen).

My wife is pushing me to get an off farm job. Don't have time... 50+ acres takes a lot of work. Mowing, pruning, dock repairs, pond dredging/expanding, barn maintenance, equipment upkeep. Gardens to turn, plant, weed and harvest. Blacksmith shop and woodshop to makes products for her craft fair booths. In ground swimming pool to restore. Miles of fencing to replace. Hobby level motorcycle shop on the side to get back up and running. Main house is over 170 years old, her Dad is 85, I have to cover the slack.

I could do the whole higher education routine with my eyes closed. Been there. Hated it. Hate being indoors. Could have enrolled at John's Hopkins as a student when I was 13. I've got a mid-180s IQ and get bored easily.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #12 - 05/21/11 at 10:25:31

WD wrote on 05/21/11 at 06:47:08:
The job scene here is horrifying. Nobody wants to work, makes it hard for those of us who do.

I've always had "dirty jobs" since I prefer it that way. Wrangler, stablehand, forkilift operator (aluminum mill and sod farms), truck driver (flatbed and containers), mechanic, farm hand, warehouseman, etc. Grew up in the garden, cutting firewood, feeding cattle. I can even work with a team of horses (or mules or oxen).

My wife is pushing me to get an off farm job. Don't have time... 50+ acres takes a lot of work. Mowing, pruning, dock repairs, pond dredging/expanding, barn maintenance, equipment upkeep. Gardens to turn, plant, weed and harvest. Blacksmith shop and woodshop to makes products for her craft fair booths. In ground swimming pool to restore. Miles of fencing to replace. Hobby level motorcycle shop on the side to get back up and running. Main house is over 170 years old, her Dad is 85, I have to cover the slack.

I could do the whole higher education routine with my eyes closed. Been there. Hated it. Hate being indoors. Could have enrolled at John's Hopkins as a student when I was 13. I've got a mid-180s IQ and get bored easily.

WD, I have to believe you because you are a fellow athiest ,and we never lie.
But a 180 IQ, Steven Hawkins has a 160,microsoft founder Paul Allen has a 160, Leonardodi Vinci 180, Albert Einstien 160, Mozart 153.
If you really have a 180 ,congratulations,you are the Smartesgt guy on this site. Well done.     Mickk

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 05/21/11 at 16:29:35

I'm just missing the zero on my 180 IQ.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #14 - 05/21/11 at 16:59:14

I'm missing the 1 on my 180 I.Q. Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 11:19:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dirty Jobs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.