Centerstand? (Read 329 times)
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Centerstand?
05/17/11 at 16:39:35

Anyone know if you can mount a centerstand on this bike? I didn't realize it until when I got home that it didn't have one.

Thanks!

2011 S40 Pearl Mirage White/Met. Veil Silver. Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Tourmaster Saddlebags & Toolbag, Jardine Exhaust, TKAT Forkbrace, OEM Engine Guard, Kuryakyn grips, Parrot SK4000 & ARKON SM032
  IP Logged
NameNotInUse

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Centerstand?
Reply #1 - 05/17/11 at 17:07:36

I don't know if this ever worked out for the op ... http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1213581784/4

I think I read some ideas in the tech forum
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #2 - 05/17/11 at 17:40:15

Thanks. I went through the list. The first post you had was never pursued. They thought it was too big for the bike. I'll keep looking though.

2011 S40 Pearl Mirage White/Met. Veil Silver. Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Tourmaster Saddlebags & Toolbag, Jardine Exhaust, TKAT Forkbrace, OEM Engine Guard, Kuryakyn grips, Parrot SK4000 & ARKON SM032
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 05/17/11 at 17:53:00

webhead, We're more about takin' stuff off, then when it gets uncomfortable we put it back.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 05/17/11 at 20:05:24

You'll need the frame lugs and stand off of a CB 350/450 twin. And access to a certified welder.

Seen it done, decided it was way too difficult.

If I want a rear stand I'll adapt one of V-twin Manufacturing's 45 HD set-ups. Requires a full sized rear fender though, think I have the only Savage running one at the moment.

Center stand was the first part on each of my Harleys to hit the scrap pile.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 05/17/11 at 20:26:01

I met a fellow out on the left coast who sometimes rode (drove) around with my brother.  They both had Suzuki cruiser twins, C50s, I think.

Anyway, this guy was a talented aircraft welder.  He made a centerstand for his C50 out of thin wall 4130.  It couldn't have weighed more than a couple of pounds.  

He had it set up so it just barely held the bike up.  It rolled backward only an inch or so past TDC,.. and it would only work on pretty flat ground.  The rear tire was only about a half inch off the pavement.

His thinking was that being made of soft thinwall steel, he didn't want to make it work all that hard.

It worked just the way he wanted it to work, and it added very little weight, but I shudder to think how much time he had invested in it.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #6 - 05/18/11 at 04:10:49

Sounds like there is no easy "bolt on" solution right now. I appreciate all the feedback. I used to weld floorboards into cars but I haven't done any type of welding in 20 years.

Like to hear the creative stories though. It's amazing how the mind thinks.

Funny Boofer.  Grin

Thanks!

IP Logged
NameNotInUse

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/18/11 at 09:05:25

I'd say the bike being so low the center stand wouldn't be worth it. I just assume to craft one from based on the guides here or buy a lift. I really want a lift if only because I like buying random toys for my garage. Cheesy

IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #8 - 05/18/11 at 09:24:31

I think the lift is a good option. I mainly want the center stand for the winter when I store it. Thanks guys. Now to find the perfect lift for it.

IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Reply #9 - 05/18/11 at 10:15:49

webhead wrote on 05/18/11 at 09:24:31:
I think the lift is a good option. I mainly want the center stand for the winter when I store it. Thanks guys. Now to find the perfect lift for it.

http://www.tornbjerg.dk/hp/savagesources/index.php?thump=stand

WWW   IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Reply #10 - 05/18/11 at 10:21:05

better pic.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 05/18/11 at 20:13:35

"I like buying random toys for my garage." Finally, an honest man. Name Not In Use just let out a secret that our wives must never hear. If you see two big guys with guns ride up on Savages, RUN! You have blabbed sensitive information.   Grin Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #12 - 05/19/11 at 05:05:51

Hubby told me yesterday that he found a lift that he thought was for vending machines.  After a quick Google search, we found it to be a desk lift/mover.  But he said it lifted easily with a handle that can be removed once its up.  Around 4" lowered and 9" raised, so it seems it could be adapted easily to lift a bike.  He is going to bring it home and see what we can do with it.   (But maybe its just one of those "random toys for the garage")  LOL

Like this:

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #13 - 05/19/11 at 06:47:21

Mine stays outside for the winter here in NY, to avoid flat spots I park both tires on wood planks I have cut to size. Hasnt failed me yet.

IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #14 - 05/20/11 at 03:41:54

I have one out there now under the cover the last 2 years. I don't plan on doing it with this one. Great idea though. I like creativity.

Keep em coming!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:28:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Centerstand?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.