Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
4000 Mile Road Trip Advice (Read 114 times)
DVnewrider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

4000 Mile Road Trip Advice
05/16/11 at 18:29:23

Hello.

I have a 2002 LS650 with about 10000 miles on it. Its been running great, other than the expected back firing upon deacceleration (im considering the carb adjust for that), and it has also stalled out twice after i maintained a maximum speed for a number of minutes. (any suggestions on that?)

Anyways, im taking her down to FL and then up to Nashville and back. I live in Denver.  Any sugestions on prep, extra materials to bring, preventative things, concerns, tests for readiness?

All will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

IP Logged
04 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 4000 Mile Road Trip Advice
Reply #1 - 05/16/11 at 20:49:04

I just did a 400 mile round trip the other day, my a$$ couldn't take a 4,000 mile trip on the stock seat...hope you have a modded seat?

Good luck and have fun

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/16/11 at 21:29:07

DVnewrider wrote on 05/16/11 at 18:29:23:
I have a 2002 LS650 with about 10000 miles on it. Its been running great, other than the expected back firing upon deceleration (I'm considering the carb adjust for that)

Don't think there's an adjustment for that.  could make it richer, but it'll still do it.

Quote:
and it has also stalled out twice after i maintained a maximum speed for a number of minutes. (any suggestions on that?)

Now that maybe the air cutoff valve, the little diaphragm under the triangular plate on the right side of the carb.  Take the plate off, spray with carb cleaner and put it back together.

And check your cam chain

WWW   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 05/17/11 at 01:41:20

Rode from Portland OR to Illinois on my 02 and back. I think we rode over 7,000 miles in one month. Most fun I have ever had!  My Savage ran great without one problem.
I switched to Castrol 50 wt oil and found my bile ran cooler and quieter after a all day ride.
Maintenance every night! I would tighten everything each night and there was always some bolts loose the next evening.
New tires!  Long rides on warm days wear them out quickly. I left on new and came back on cheater slicks almost.
Carry a flat tire repair kit.
I carried a rubber hot water bottle I bought at the drug store and put gas in it when I was worried about long distances between gas stops. (In cold weather you can use them to carry hot water for chocolate, soup or instant coffee)
Get your maps at the library before you leave and just print them out there. They cost like $5 to $7 each if you buy them while traveling

I'm leaving on another long trip this summer also on the same bike. I Should have 55,000 on my odometer by the time I get back. 45,000 now. Others in here have taken long rides on their savages and can add ideas but those were what was important to me. Have fun and ride safe!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 05/17/11 at 08:17:11

verslagen1 wrote on 05/16/11 at 21:29:07:
DVnewrider wrote on 05/16/11 at 18:29:23:
I have a 2002 LS650 with about 10000 miles on it. Its been running great, other than the expected back firing upon deceleration (I'm considering the carb adjust for that)

Don't think there's an adjustment for that.  could make it richer, but it'll still do it.

Quote:
and it has also stalled out twice after i maintained a maximum speed for a number of minutes. (any suggestions on that?)

Now that maybe the air cutoff valve, the little diaphragm under the triangular plate on the right side of the carb.  Take the plate off, spray with carb cleaner and put it back together.

And check your cam chain

+1 on cam chain check...remember to adjust your airmix screw as you go from a mile high to sea level...that should help with some of the popping

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 05/17/11 at 08:48:45

I've done three 4k mile runs on my 2k Savage (MN-FL) and it's not the most comfortable chair on the highway. That being said, it went down the road to Miami in August without a hitch. I have made many changes to my bike however that have made it a much better distance ride.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

5 gallon Harley tank up front.
4 gallon aux. tank on the back
V-Star saddle seat
Cheap Harley 2nd party floorboards
The largest NationalCyle fairing style windshield
Saddle shaped gel pad that is a marginal improvement

Check your cam chain adjuster. Make sure it's not about to fall out and let your chain fly.
Make sure your battery connections stay tight. I sat for quite a while by the side of the road one day wondering why it would run and quit, run and quit.
Get off the bike every couple hours for a couple of minutes to stretch out the legs. It helps on some of those 600-700 mile days should you decide to try for them.
Drink lots of liquids. You dry out really fast. Gatorade is a life saver.
Run synthetic oil. A cooler engine is a happier engine.
Ride the back roads and take a camera.

There, I've said my piece. Just get out there and do it.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 12:55:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 4000 Mile Road Trip Advice

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.