Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rookie Mistake... (Read 100 times)
Silly Ogre

Former S40 Owner

Stuarts Draft VA
Rookie Mistake...
05/16/11 at 17:40:40

SO I rode the bike to work today since I have training...Normally I have an issued car for work...But today I didn't need it so out came "The Other Woman"...Well on the way home it was raining no big deal...I have always been heavy on my rear brakes...I used them a lot when I rode dirt bikes...So I go to make a right turn in the rain...I get on the brakes the rear end goes right instead...No big deal I can slide a bike around with out dropping it...I let off of the brakes and it straightens out for a second...I had down shifted in anticipation of the turn and was holding the clutch in...I had let off of the clutch to provide power to the rear wheel...The low gear causes the bike to go sliding left...The pucker factor when up and I missed the turn before straightening it up...Never laid it down or took feet off of pegs...But I learned from that mistake...

2009 V-Star Classic 650...Silly Ogre is what one of my twin daughters call me...Guess I remind her of Shrek LOL...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Rookie Mistake...
Reply #1 - 05/16/11 at 17:55:28

Wheeeee doggies, pucker I'd say!  Congrats on keeping the rubber side down!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Silly Ogre

Former S40 Owner

Stuarts Draft VA
Reply #2 - 05/16/11 at 17:57:06

Thanks Piglet...

2009 V-Star Classic 650...Silly Ogre is what one of my twin daughters call me...Guess I remind her of Shrek LOL...
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #3 - 05/16/11 at 18:05:27

MSF class taught us if the rear locks ride it out - dont let off snap opposite direction = high side get thrown off.......i too vicariously feel that pucker factor - glad you saved it.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 05/16/11 at 18:42:41

Discovery Channel had a special on racing bikes that stated, "The most dangerous time for a racing bike is when the rider downshifts when entering a curve." That's what the "slipper clutch" is for. I personally shift to 4th before tighter curves and use the extra torque to power me out and into 5th. Slow, look, and roll on power. Did I miss anything?  Glad you made it.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Silly Ogre

Former S40 Owner

Stuarts Draft VA
Reply #5 - 05/16/11 at 18:58:30

Thanks guys...Yeah I am normally back on the throttle before turning...I should clarify...I had not started to turn yet never made it that far..LOL the sliding left and right kept me from turning and I missed the turn...

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #6 - 05/16/11 at 22:05:02

Silly Ogre, glad to hear you managed to
regain control and avoid a down.
You have dirt bike experience and I have
talked to guys that told me they felt it
gave them an edge on street bikes. Seems
it did in your case. Good job..Smiley kim

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #7 - 05/16/11 at 22:58:31

Boofer wrote on 05/16/11 at 18:42:41:
Discovery Channel had a special on racing bikes that stated, "The most dangerous time for a racing bike is when the rider downshifts when entering a curve." That's what the "slipper clutch" is for. I personally shift to 4th before tighter curves and use the extra torque to power me out and into 5th. Slow, look, and roll on power. Did I miss anything?  Glad you made it.

You didn't miss a thing,that's the way to do it.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 06:24:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rookie Mistake...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.