Send Topic Print
New or Used? (Read 279 times)
larrydavidbestdude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New or Used?
05/16/11 at 00:47:13

I just got done with the MSF class...I passed with a perfect score!

I have never been on a motorcycle before and was comfortable within the first hour of riding. just throwin that out there

Now here's the question...since i know only what i have learned in two days and have no idea how to work on bikes...would it be best to just go ahead and buy new??

Oh p.s. i can't wait to start riding around a savage/s40!

IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Re: New or Used?
Reply #1 - 05/16/11 at 01:03:36

Depends what you are looking for. I hadn't worked on bikes at all until I got my Savage, and I've really enjoyed getting my hands dirty and have done all the work, including stripping/cleaning the carb, changing the belt, brakes, general servicing. I've saved well over $1000 with $50 worth of tools. All the knowledge I have now has been gained from this site  Smiley

I like the feeling of understanding how my bike works (mostly!) and there is something about riding a bike that you have maintained that makes it an even better experience.

Whether you buy new or get a secondhand bike you still have to decide whether you are going to work on it or not. Personally I'd always go for a well maintained used bike.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 05/16/11 at 04:20:17

I would buy new then you know what you got,You never know what the owner before you did to the bike or how he took care of it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/16/11 at 05:44:35

I went with a new one, cuz I didnt know hoot about a bike. Once I ( found this place &learned how to mess with it , I wished I had bought used. Id say, get one thats not old enough for a cam chain & ride it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 05/16/11 at 05:55:00

And its such a heart-breaker to drop a brand new bike!  As a new rider, you most likely will drop it a time or two or twelve.  My plan was to get used to riding first, then eventually buy one new.  That was 3 years ago.  And I'm loving this one so much, I don't need a brand new one!  Maybe when I wear this one out... I'll buy a new one....  but oh, in 30 years I'll probably be hanging up my helmet anyway!

So my vote is well-maintained, less than 5 or so years old, used.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 05/16/11 at 07:18:48

I'd buy used...if you can keep from jumping at the first thing that comes along you can save a lot of money by waiting for a gently used one...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #6 - 05/16/11 at 07:39:19

i agree - have patience - i decided i was going to buy a bike to save $ on gas (main motivation) I had never ridden a bike and was completely intimidated by the thought of it - I knew that New was out of the budget - I looked for almost a month every day at ebay, local paper, cycle trader, searchtempest.com and I found 3 i could afford that were close enought to look at - the sellers were firm on the price so I kept looking until I found a low mileage 1996 about 3 hours away - met the guy 1/2 way got it for $1200 with 6900 miles - and I have learned to work on it myself with the help of the folks on this forum.....all that said to say go used and be patient...like BH said dropping a new bike hurts the wallet and the pride real bad...dropping a used bike seems not to hurt as much (the pride and wallet)....oh yeah it hurts no matter whether it used or not when you drop it.

set on at least 3 or 4 differnt kinds as well before you decide the foot positions and seat comfort are way different from one model and make to another.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
NameNotInUse

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/16/11 at 08:05:17

I was ready to buy new based on the old theory that you know what you're going to get. Then I started thinking about dropping it. Like my truck, the first two years were all about being anal over every knick, scratch and parking lot a-hole inflicted dent. I immeidately turned from new to used and set a fairly low budget (the money I would have put down on a financed bike).  I had a list of bikes with low seat heights based on my own personal comfort, knowledge that I should learn on something that I could straddle and reach the ground on, and of course something that looked cool.  

It came to me in fairly great condition. It was supposedly dropped once when the lady got off of it and forgot to put her kick down. It rode well, it needed an oil change but then I found out the hard way that it also needed a battery.

Although I had someone handle the first oil change and by default the battery replacement, I intend to be pretty hands on with the bike. I'm learning, I've only changed oil, brakes, and tires on my own cars in my lifetime but I am confident that I'll be able to manage some basic things.

My vote is used. Save your money if you were paying cash and buy some gear and set the rest aside for other goodies or whatever. Also, back to dropping it ... you may have felt super great during your MSF course but wait until you're on the open road with traffic and idiots who seem to think they're on the road alone.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/16/11 at 09:24:19

I would (and did... twice) buy used.

You are new to biking then it's still up in the air if you'll stick with it.
Yeah, that 1st stratch is a killer whether it's hardly noticable or caves in half the bike.  Both will feel the same.

So buy used, and assume you're going to get stuck with some maintanance issues that will need taken care of, battery, oil, tires, cam chain

WWW   IP Logged
GRetz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/16/11 at 09:41:19

you should try www.statewidelist.com to do a statewide craigslist search. Also lists ebay ads for the same search. Pretty nice.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #10 - 05/16/11 at 10:06:53

I purchased my 09 new. Then I found this site.
The reason I purchased new is, figured their
would be less maintance issues. So far that
has rang true. I have thru this site learned to
change my own oil, change out turn signals,
and will do whatever needs to be done to
keep her running.
She has only been to a mechanic twice in
her 4500 mile life.
I will keep her even if I ever get another bike.
Yes chances are more so than not, you will go
down. Their are 2 kinds of riders.
Those that have been down, and those that
will go down.
I rode for 3 years before being taken down from
behind. It happens in a blink of an eye.
I don't want to scare you, just make you aware
that their are many dangers to riding the bike.
Please listen to the MSF instructors and practice
till you feel you could, yet don't do it with your
eyes closed, then practice some more.
I still practice my techniques and am looking into
taking advanced riding courses.
All the best to you.. Let us know what you decide on
and, post pics of you and your bike.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
larrydavidbestdude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/16/11 at 10:33:55

Thanks for all the replies!

I jus got my buddies xs650 on the dallas tollway...that thing THUMPS at 70 haha

I know im gonna drop my bike once twice maybe ten times...its not gonna bother me.

As for hurting my pride if i buy new and scratch it well I guess im weird but ill be putting stickers and making it look prolly ugly anyways...when i was 16 my mom got me a pretty nice silver used car and the next day she found out i took a bunch of flat black spray paint cans to it which ill prolly do the same to a new or used bike i get.

I've been saving up alot so i have the money to buy new. I think it would be a comfort thing to know oh hey its new there should'nt be anything to worry about.

BUT there are a couple used ones with under 5xxx miles in the area. I should probably look around this site to see what i should look for buying used.

Thanks again!!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 05/16/11 at 11:19:09

I have never been down in over 40 years of riding and don't know of anyone that has been down in that 40 years.I never had a motorcycle riders course and wouldn't take one.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 05/16/11 at 11:22:40

Been to the ocean view restaurant lately?

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 05/16/11 at 12:29:58

verslagen1 wrote on 05/16/11 at 11:22:40:
Been to the ocean view restaurant lately?

Yes I was there today where were you did your forget again.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 15:25:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New or Used?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.