Rotella T looks gray (Read 292 times)
kevin r.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Rotella T looks gray
05/13/11 at 17:22:23

I just put rotella t in my bike after I replaced the oil filter and drained the oil. I took it out for a 10 mile ride and came back to check the oil level. In the window the oil looked almost grayish and milky. What could this be from? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kevin

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: Rotella T looks gray
Reply #1 - 05/13/11 at 17:37:01

A little leftover oil in the engine? There's always some in there.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/13/11 at 17:48:14

Kevin,

You have just discovered one of the miracles of Rotella oils, which is the very strong detergent and particle suspension packages that good diesel oils require.   Rotella is intended to actively remove, trap and suspend trash in your engine and IT HAS STARTED DOING IT IN YOUR ENGINE right now.

Within the first 10 miles it has found, stripped and suspended some of the crap your previous oils had left coating the inside flat surfaces of your engine.   Give it a few thousand miles and it will finish the job.

You will find threads here on the list where we tell folks that Rotella can strip old sludge and varnish deposits from the inside your engine and the first oil change seems to come quickly (but really isn't necessary as Rotella will hold the shite in suspension for like 50,000 miles if you could tolerate leaving your oil in there that long).

An example I gave was my late XV535 which had been oil abused by a female previous owner -- it had sludge so thick that the rocker arm motion went through a channel of congealed crap in when you took off the rocker covers.  My first oil change came real fast on that one when I first put the Rotella in it to clean it up.  Within the first year, all the sludge was gone and the parts were clean and shiny when you took the covers off to adjust the valves.   Rotella stripped and suspended all of it and all that crap poured out into the drain pan with the dirty oil.

Magical stuff, that Rotella.

And yes, you are normal -- nobody can tolerate holding off on that first oil change for the full recommended mileage.   They (like I did) go ahead and change it after a 1,000 miles or so jest to get the gawdawful ugly out of there.

The next oil change will likely still get ugly relatively fast, but at the third and later all the crap should be gone and the oil will stay cleaner a lot longer.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 05/13/11 at 21:22:02

Water in the oil !

I know, kinda hard to do w/ a savage, but I don't know that anything else will make it greyish and milky.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
kevin r.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #4 - 05/13/11 at 22:44:00

Thank you Oldfeller! I drained the oil a couple weeks ago and ran it through but noticed it was really milky this morning so I though that there may have been some gas left in the oil filter cover area from having a bad petcock previously. But after doing the full change and riding today I just wanted to be doubly sure! I love this bike so far and I want it to last.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 05/14/11 at 07:08:01

Sounds like metal grindings to me.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/14/11 at 07:21:41

bill67 wrote on 05/14/11 at 07:08:01:
Sounds like metal grindings to me.

Take a flashlight to the peephole. If your milky look reflects the light and looks like very fine glitter bill may be on to something. To be sure, stick a long straw down the filler hole and cap the straw with your thumb to pull out some oil. Put it in a shallow bowl/lid/whatever and run a clean magnet through it. Anything sticking to the magnet?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 05/14/11 at 07:41:58

Burn, you either ....

1)  you took Bill seriously    Cheesy

2)  are simply being nice and cautious

3)  are attempting to provoke the first shots in the next general oil war

Since Kevin is recovering from a gas-in-oil episode any of the above might actually apply, so now you got him all paranoid and fearful fer his engine.  

Rotella would lift up and suspend all the micro fine aluminum particles that used to be on his piston skirt that had settled to the bottom of his cases as aluminum laden mud/sludge.

Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked  Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked  Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked

Betcha Kevin changes his oil pretty durn quick to find out which case it really was ....

Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin       you is all meanie and heartless, don'tcha all know it

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 05/14/11 at 11:36:33

Gonna take one heckuva straw to get to the oil, theres a baffle below the filler hole,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/14/11 at 13:48:06

straw, hose, whatever it takes. Just being cautious considering the history. Its better than draining the oil completely to check.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/14/11 at 13:53:11

Ya dont Hafta drain it all to let some drip out the oil plug,, just keep a finger on the end of it & keep it poked in the hole,, try the fill hole idea, but dont be shocked if it just wont work.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/14/11 at 17:26:35

I personally havent been able to "drizzle" oil out in a controlable fashion from the oil plug. Then again i always change my oil when its hot, so that doesnt help.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/14/11 at 18:12:19

If you want to get some oil out, simply remove the timing port cover at your left ankle.  You can even do this running and oil will blow out.  Use a blue paper shop towel and if it's metal, you'll be able to see it.

WWW   IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/14/11 at 18:28:55

BurnPgh wrote on 05/14/11 at 17:26:35:
I personally havent been able to "drizzle" oil out in a controlable fashion from the oil plug. Then again i always change my oil when its hot, so that doesnt help.

Trade your oil plug for a pipe fitting and attach a rubber hose to it long enough to tuck and tie to the frame. Plug the open end with a bolt and hose clamp. When you want to drain just a little oil, you clamp the hose with a pair of vice grips and replace the bolt and hose clamp.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 05/14/11 at 18:55:44

I don't think that oil will show you the true oil state,I use Klotz and its red the oil that come out of the oil hose isn't red at all.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:25:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rotella T looks gray

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.