Help with electrics (Read 100 times)
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Help with electrics
05/13/11 at 10:50:12

In the next few weeks I'm going to be trying to connect new rear turn signals and a new brake light. I've never done wiring so Im asking for pointers, and what stuff I'll need to do it right. Like should I get solder and a soldering iron, or any stuff I'll need. I'll post pics of the lights I'll be using so you can guys can better help me out, thanks!

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Help with electrics
Reply #1 - 05/13/11 at 11:36:13

depends on what you're planning to do.
hook up to stock wiring?  you'll need a crimper and bullet connectors.
cut and splice? I'd still go with crimper and connectors.  But if you want nice tidy joints, solder and heat shrink tubing.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/13/11 at 12:03:33

..or if you're really lame, like me... you'll find a bunch of wire nuts under the seat...
... right next to the burnt wires... Huh...

You want my advice?...
...of course you don't... Undecided..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 05/13/11 at 18:42:56

I don't like the lumps wire nuts leave in my otherwise perfect marathon tape wrappings. There is a company like Harbor Freight that comes around once a year with a couple of semi trailers full of stuff. One day only sale. They have electrical tape 10/$1.00. You don't want my advice either.  Cheesy

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/13/11 at 19:01:12

I solder nearly everything. If its in a harsh environment or something OR,  IF it fails, Im screwed, I solder it.
One of the quickest ways to solder something is with  butane soldering iron, Lowes has them for less that $12.00..

Heat shink tubing is a shop necessity, as is Liquid Electricl tape &, of course, the REal Electrical tape.. dont buy cheap tape, not for electrical work you want to last.

To make a splice, point the 2 stripped wire At each other, wind from the center, toward the other wire,, Dont lay the wires side by side, with the stripped wires both pointing up, & twist them, that way, the wires will be in a straight line & you an slip a section of Heat Shrink on One of the Wires,, BEFORE you twist those wires,, sorry,, I got outta step,,

Anyway, strip the wires, ( if youve got a smidgen over 1/2 of wire pokin out on each wire, youre golden) put heat shrink on one end, twist the wires, apply soldering flux( Paste, available in many places) to the wire ends, heat the wires, try to not melt the insulation, maybe for a newbie, a soldering iron would be a better choice, A Biggo Fat Weller is my choice,, Im 56 & Ive had mine since I was 22,, & its been used,, a lot.
Youve got the right amount of solder when the wire is silvery but you can still see the shape of the individual strands in each wire.
A glob aint doin the best job.
Its plenty okay if the solder stops before the wire gets to the insulation.Better, in fact. Solder will run, where the flux melts to.

My experience is that those crimp connectors work, & May work for years,, or not,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #5 - 05/14/11 at 15:23:33

So here's what I'm working with:

Blinkers and connections:

Brake light and wires:

So what would be the best way to get these installed onto the exsisiting stock wires

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/15/11 at 10:22:56

If the original lites have the mating bullet connections on them, cut them off & solder them onto the new lites,, then, its connections as good as factory, cuz they ARE the faktree connections.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:24:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help with electrics

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.