jaguar (Read 156 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
jaguar
05/13/11 at 08:22:18

I just saw a news item about the Indian Automaker Tata motors ,who are now building Jags. next year they will come out with a super car selling at $1.2 million, the good news if you are a Jag fan ,there will be quite a few new models more affordable.
I have owned 3 jags,all old,but I loved them,I did have bad luck with the XK 150  the rear left wheel came off while driving,then the clutch went out,a real beater.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: jaguar
Reply #1 - 05/13/11 at 09:10:45

$1.2 mill??  Order me 2 please.  HAHA

Had an older one for a brief time, nice smooth ride, but was scared to keep it and have something break and cost a fortune to fix!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 05/13/11 at 19:03:45

Used to be a company called "Jaguars That Run". A friend got a kit and installed it in his girlfriend's XJ. It had everything needed to put in a small block Chevrolet and transmission. It looked and ran great--plus parts were dirt cheap.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #3 - 05/13/11 at 21:35:39

Boofer wrote on 05/13/11 at 19:03:45:
Used to be a company called "Jaguars That Run". A friend got a kit and installed it in his girlfriend's XJ. It had everything needed to put in a small block Chevrolet and transmission. It looked and ran great--plus parts were dirt cheap.

I have seen a couple with that conversion,and a wise move it is.
The jag Engine is a beautiful thing to see and makes the car very fast,
but maintainance is not cheap,the V8 chev did not go quite as fast.
but the car lasted years longer,Still a nice car inside .

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #4 - 05/14/11 at 19:56:24

Helped a friend of mine rebuild a 1954 Jag when we were in high school. Amazing car, would run 140mph when it would run.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 05/15/11 at 06:04:17

After a marriage breakup a relative bought an XKE. He took me for a ride and made a right turn fast enough to nearly throw me out the driver's window. Man that thing would stick to the road! Unfortunately it spent a lot of time hooked up to the back of a tow truck. An enterprising salesman saw it being hooked up across from his dealership and went and offered him a deal on a BMW 7 series. He was mad enough to take the deal.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #6 - 05/20/11 at 05:04:57

I briefly had a Jag XK-150.  The engine turned over, and it needed major restoration.  I actually bought a new set of tires and tubes so I could use a tow bar to take it around, but no one in the auto restoration business would take a hippie grad student on as a client.

Sure wish I still had it -- all I have is the shop manual.   :'(

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #7 - 05/20/11 at 11:03:33

Mick -

Back in college I had an XK-150 LeMans Coupe.  Very few were made and a very, very few made it to this side of the Pond.  They were built for factory sponsored or assisted race teams.

We literally worked on it all week to drive it on the weekends; but then, you don't expect a car that is basically a barely street legal race car to be reliable.

I've had the pleasure of driving both a C Type and a D Type Jaguar, and as you know, these are both pure race cars.  Mike Hawthorne won LeMans in a C, or was it in a D?

As for putting a Chevy engine in any Jaguar - pure blasphemy.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 05/20/11 at 12:53:55

Yea, but they tend to run that way. Grin Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 05/24/11 at 04:45:27

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 05/20/11 at 11:03:33:
Mick -

Back in college I had an XK-150 LeMans Coupe.  Very few were made and a very, very few made it to this side of the Pond.  They were built for factory sponsored or assisted race teams.

We literally worked on it all week to drive it on the weekends; but then, you don't expect a car that is basically a barely street legal race car to be reliable.

I've had the pleasure of driving both a C Type and a D Type Jaguar, and as you know, these are both pure race cars.  Mike Hawthorne won LeMans in a C, or was it in a D?

As for putting a Chevy engine in any Jaguar - pure blasphemy.

Thank you, Jerry, for "seeing the light"  Cool

To swap engines in a jaguar and drop a Chevy V8 in one is like defacing a famous painting with McDonald's in the background.

Can anyone imagine Whistler's Mother with an iPOD and earphones?
(this restoration brought to you by Sony...)

Jaguars only had one problem (I know, I had one)

They ware fed through SU carburators, which were difficult to tune up properly, and had Lucas electrical system (LUCAS, the Prince of Darkness)

Had they had Weber or Dell'Orto carbs (both Italian, despite the name) and Marelli electrics, they would have been reliable as a farm tractor... start up first time, every time.

JAGUAR XK engine with Dell'Ortos                                                                                                                              LOTUS engine with Webers

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 06:34:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › jaguar

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.