Jump Start... (Read 137 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Jump Start...
05/12/11 at 12:23:58

Well it finally happened  Sad bike left me stranded.

Rode into work this morning, no problems.

Took a mid-morning run to take care of a few errands that needed to be done, no problems.

Went out at lunch to go get a bite to eat and nothing...  Embarrassed One click and nothing. Check all the safeties, try again, not even the click. About this time I realize that I must have switched the key to Park instead of off after my mid-morning run and drained the battery. Round up a buddy to give me a jump and left his truck turned off, connected the ground to the frame of the bike and clamped the screwdriver from the toolkit with the positive jumper cable. He then held the cable/screwdriver up to the positive side of the battery while I cranked the bike. Lit right up  Smiley

I've been limping along with this battery for the last 2 years and this is the first time I've been anywhere other than home when it's been dead, so I think I'm ready for a replacement. (Planning on ordering up a Big Crank) But this got me to thinking, that was only on for about 2hrs and drained it completely, if I had replaced the brake/tail light bulb with a LED replacement would it have still started?  Undecided

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Jump Start...
Reply #1 - 05/12/11 at 12:28:32

Jump starting is all good, I guess, but it sure does ;eave the bikes charging system to recharge the dead battery, which its not exactly meant to do.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 05/12/11 at 12:32:35

I rode it home and put it on the charger until I can get the new battery. The previous owner actually broke off part of the grounding tab on the battery, so he had soldered the cable onto the battery. I previously removed the solder and was able to drill a small hole in what was left of the tab so that I could use a screw to mount the cable as needed. It was a temporary fix that lasted 2 years.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/12/11 at 12:54:27

Sounds like youre doin it as smart as ya can, while stayin heap!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 05/12/11 at 13:15:12

Shocked  OUCH!!!   Shocked
I just looked up the replacements and the Big Crank is going to cost me 89.39 with shipping! The Batteries Plus battery is not any better at 89.99 but we have one of their stores in town, so I might have to go pick one up.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 05/13/11 at 06:29:47

If you ever get stuck in the same situation, and jumping the battery is not an option, you can actually bump start a big thumper like this.  The trick is to make sure the piston is on the exhaust stroke when you get the push.

First of all, let the battery sit for half an hour with no load on it.  If the battery is in reasonable shape but just freshly discharged, it will recover enough voltage to create a spark shortly.

With the key still off, get on the bike, put it in third, and back it up till you can't back it up anymore.  This puts the piston at the beginning of the exhaust stroke (the end of the compression stroke), giving you a chance to get the motor spinning a bit before it hits the compression stroke.

Get on the bike, raise the kickstand, set the choke, keep it in third, and with the clutch pulled, either start coasting downhill or have someone push you.  When you are going as fast as you can, turn on the ignition, let out the clutch.  It might help if you stood up for a second right after you turn on the ignition, and sat down on the bike hard right when you let out the clutch, to give the rear tire a momentary increase in traction.
This has worked for me a couple of times on a Honda FT500 and a KLR650.  Not my bikes, but I the owners were really hot and sweaty and exhausted trying to get the machines started.

If the trans is not in neutral, or if the clutch is out, does the starter button do anything on a Savage?  I'm wondering if hitting the start button when you let out the clutch would do anything to operate the decompression solenoid.  I'd go out and try it on my bike, but it is a disassembled lump awaiting more RYCA parts.

If your clutch is dragging at all, call AAA.  The aforementioned technique will fail.

« Last Edit: 05/17/11 at 20:35:41 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/13/11 at 07:48:04

Gyrobob wrote on 05/13/11 at 06:29:47:
With the key still off, get on the bike, put it in third, and back it up till you can't back it up anymore.

DON"T PUSH THE BIKE BACKWARD!!!
This engages the starter clutch, on pre90's bikes this will bust out the starter gear bosses.  On a post90 bike you will hear a twang instead, that's the torque limiter doing its job.

Quote:
If the trans is not in neutral, or if the clutch is out, does the starter button do anything on a Savage?  I'm wondering if hitting the start button when you let out the clutch would do anything to operate the decompression solenoid.  I'd go out and try it on my bike, but it is a disassembled lump awaiting more RYCA parts.

The safeties make an electrically assisted bump start easy.  Push the start button and let out the clutch... the starter is automatically deactivated.  But w/o holding in the clutch, the decomp will never activate.

WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #7 - 05/13/11 at 07:59:52

I have bump started the bike from my house before (I live on a hill) but at work it is flat.

Charged the battery on the tender last night and it was fully charged this morning for the ride to work.

Also got another price for the replacement from my brother who works at the Honda dealership ($42) - would be the regular stock equivalent.

IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #8 - 05/13/11 at 08:00:49

Gyrobob wrote on 05/13/11 at 06:29:47:

With the key still off, get on the bike, put it in third, and back it up till you can't back it up anymore.  This puts the piston at the beginning of the exhaust stroke (the end of the compression stroke), giving you a chance to get the motor spinning a bit before it hits the compression stroke.

I've had to do this a couple times, but I always use 2nd gear... semantics I suppose as long as you get the engine turning over.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #9 - 05/13/11 at 08:15:34

Just don't start this way.

http://youtu.be/LA809BN7_2c

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #10 - 05/13/11 at 13:56:56

HAHAHA Awesome.

"In Soviet Russia, motorcycle drives you!"

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 05/13/11 at 18:35:23

I don't work for Yuasa, but I bought one this Spring for about $60. Same as original. Got it at a local bike sales/repair shop. No freight and had one in stock.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:31:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jump Start...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.