Clutch too tight! (Read 172 times)
r4fun
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto- ON
Clutch too tight!
05/11/11 at 15:34:49

Hi everyone I hear a strange noise when I'm riding and I was talking with some other guys who have motorcycles and one of them told me to check if the clutch if isn't too tight, I checked and surprise....my clutch was kind of loose but I was able to shift the gears ok.
My question is: "Isn't the clutch too tight if you follow the book witch is saying: the play of the clutch cable should be 10-15mm(0.4-0.6 in)as measured at the clutch level end before the clutch begins to disengage"

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Clutch too tight!
Reply #1 - 05/11/11 at 16:51:40

I always leave 1/8 to 1/4" gap at the level with clutch fully engaged.

Now, what noises?

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 05/11/11 at 17:35:33

I have a clutch issue too.  Was gonna start another thread, but while we're on the subject, I thought I'd just tag along.  Hope you don't mind, r4fun.

The last couple times I've started my bike, it seems to want to lurch forward, like I'm letting the clutch out, while in the process of starting it, and it kinda hesitates to start.  Hubby asked if I had it pulled in all the way, and the lever is touching the grip, so its in as far as it will go.  Anybody ever had this happen, and is this as simple to cure as turning the nut on the end of the lever?  Forgot to try that when I got home.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/11/11 at 19:14:01

what gap you got at the lever and where's the lever in relation to the marks?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 05/11/11 at 20:31:40

babyhog wrote on 05/11/11 at 17:35:33:
I have a clutch issue too.  Was gonna start another thread, but while we're on the subject, I thought I'd just tag along.  Hope you don't mind, r4fun.

The last couple times I've started my bike, it seems to want to lurch forward, like I'm letting the clutch out, while in the process of starting it, and it kinda hesitates to start.  Hubby asked if I had it pulled in all the way, and the lever is touching the grip, so its in as far as it will go.  Anybody ever had this happen, and is this as simple to cure as turning the nut on the end of the lever?  Forgot to try that when I got home.

If it's been a little while since you started it, the clutch plates may be dry, and that will cause that...
It's normal..

If you think it might be,.. you can start it in neutral, to let the oil circulate...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/11/11 at 20:58:24

Piglt, you may have t rock the bike back & forth while you hold a bind on the shifter to get it to pop into neutral for ya.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 05/12/11 at 05:06:07

thanks guys, just never had that happen before.   Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #7 - 05/12/11 at 07:05:17

I always thought you should start any engine in neutral.

IP Logged
r4fun
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto- ON
Reply #8 - 05/12/11 at 08:05:38

You're right Arnold Savage's book says the motorcycle has to be start it from NEUTRAL.(I,m the guy with the book Grin)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 05/12/11 at 08:18:32

Arnold wrote on 05/12/11 at 07:05:17:

Correct, you should but we're trying to find out about a problem and it's not clear that she can shift it once started.  So I'm waiting to hear, 'yes, I can start it and it does/doesn't creep' or ' no, it lurches when I push the button'.

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 05/12/11 at 08:50:47

verslagen1 wrote on 05/12/11 at 08:18:32:
Arnold wrote on 05/12/11 at 07:05:17:

Correct, you should but we're trying to find out about a problem and it's not clear that she can shift it once started.  So I'm waiting to hear, 'yes, I can start it and it does/doesn't creep' or ' no, it lurches when I push the button'.

It has only lurched/crept on me a couple of times, but it still starts.  And I do mostly start it in neutral, but sometimes I start it in 1st gear.  Actually, maybe even 50/50.  Never heard that one before, so please explain.  Does that apply to cars too?  I've driven tons of standard vehicles with no problems starting in 1st gear.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 05/12/11 at 08:56:17

babyhog wrote on 05/12/11 at 08:50:47:
It has only lurched/crept on me a couple of times, but it still starts.  And I do mostly start it in neutral, but sometimes I start it in 1st gear.  Actually, maybe even 50/50.  Never heard that one before, so please explain.  Does that apply to cars too?  I've driven tons of standard vehicles with no problems starting in 1st gear.  

In gear it may creep because it's a wet clutch and when you 1st start it's dry (relatively) and sticky.  So it's much better to start in neutral cause it turns easier.

WWW   IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #12 - 05/12/11 at 09:00:14

And there's been lots of accidents with vehicles started in gear too. I mean most vehicle you must depress the clutch to start but people may forget they're in gear, start the engine and let the clutch go.

IP Logged
r4fun
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto- ON
Reply #13 - 05/12/11 at 13:23:10

let see if you leave your bike off for few hours  you have to start it from neutral but if you're going somewhere just to buy a...cola Wink
and u want to start again you can do it on first gear.

About cars I've always started my car on the first gear because every time I used first gear as brake too I'm not pulling the handbrake.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/12/11 at 13:29:59

I adjusted my clutch this afternoon and Clymer's said to have 3 mm of free play in the gap where the lever seats itself up at the handlebar.  My lever adjustment was used up at the handlebar so following Clymer's instructions I adjusted it at the engine end of the cable.  The important thing is to have some free play but check the cable and adustment by working the engine lever by hand just to make certain the cable isn't hanging up somewhere. Clymer's is well worth the $24 or whatever they charge for it.

Regarding the other question, motorcycle clutches are different than automobile clutches and as several people pointed out some sticky oil between all those plates can cause it to drag a little bit until the plates "shed" the sticky stuff.  Back when almost all motorcycles had center stands that raised the rear wheel off the pavement you could see this effect on a well adjusted clutch.  Just the viscosity of the oil would cause the wheel to rotate a bit.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:26:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch too tight!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.