Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New here, few questions. (Read 98 times)
Rsmo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New here, few questions.
05/09/11 at 20:08:52

Hello all just registered here because I bought my first bike today -- an 06 s40.  I have a few questions that I've done searches for here and on google but can't find any solid answers.

I understand backfiring is a common problem and mine does sometimes but not often enough to be annoying.  However, I want it to be louder so my first question is what options do I have for exhausts?  I found jardine rumbler slip ons but I'm not sure where to order from or if they'll even work.  Also, will a change in the exhaust have any affect on the backfiring like making it happen more?

Second question would be about bars.  I'd like to eventually get some mini apes and I'd like to hear from anyone who has put mini apes on a stock s40 and if theres any complications with the cables.  Think I'd be aiming for 10" height but I'm not sure yet.  I don't want them to be unproportional or uncomfortable, just looking to add a little badass to the bike.  Will I be able to put them on and use all the stock cabling without having to make any modifications to that stuff?  I assume I can just buy any pair of bars as long as they're the right diameter.  I'm guessing this would be 1"?

Thanks I appreciate any respsonses and look forward to many miles on my new bike!

IP Logged
MulletViper

Professional
Rivethead

Re: New here, few questions.
Reply #1 - 05/09/11 at 20:34:48

Your best bet is a Harley muffler, most of the time you can pick them up pretty cheap and they're pretty direct fit. Here's a bunch more on that topic,
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298689417
A Harley muffler shouldn't make the backfires any worse, just louder.  Wink There's also a mod to help get rid of that backfiring problem -
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1104205157

As for the bars, all I can say is that your definitely going to need longer cables if your running apes. Better leave someone else answer where to find them, cause I haven't got a clue on that. They are in fact 1 inch bars though.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 05/09/11 at 20:51:32

The Softail/Night Train muffler is an easy install, but it is not louder--just cheap and looks good to me. This is the number stamped on the side: HARFXS 1584. #65842-07. 80db. It does sound different, but I'm not into loud unless it's classic rock.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 05/09/11 at 21:03:18

Stock cables from a bike that had buckhorn bars will work as is. New cables if it came with drag bars. See if Lancer here on the forum is still a Barnett dealer, best way to get replacements fast AND right the first time. Brake hose will be too short, you can get a braided stainless steel one from Lancer at the same time. Or any competent hydraulic hose shop can make a stock look replacement.

Bars are standard 1", you can buy them anywhere. Just make sure you get ones that are NOT dimpled for HD controls. Dimpled bars are not round. Grind the locator pins off each control box "clamshell" you'll see what I mean when you split your switch boxes and master cylinder mounts.

I run 15" rise dimpled apehangers. Krome Werks brand. Flanders are also safe. Only buy bars made in the US or western Europe. Nothing prejudiced about it, higher QC standards.

Once the new bars are installed and you have them positioned comfortably, pin them in place. Drill through the riser cap and into the bar tube. Add a self-tapping bolt, you can find nice ones you just have to hunt for them. If you don't, the bars WILL move. I've been riding with apes on most of my bikes for 24 years.

What else? Oh yeah, welcome to the family.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 05/10/11 at 05:55:40

Boofer wrote on 05/09/11 at 20:51:32:
The Softail/Night Train muffler is an easy install, but it is not louder--just cheap and looks good to me. This is the number stamped on the side: HARFXS 1584. #65842-07. 80db. It does sound different, but I'm not into loud unless it's classic rock.

Really Boofer?  I just put on the same one and I think its louder.  Definitely louder than stock and I think louder than the Dyna I had before.   "Deeper" tone for sure.  I've had some pretty good ker-pows here lately, riding in cooler weather.  Personally I love it every time it does it, but I probably need to adjust my screw just a touch.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 05/10/11 at 07:07:05

Not sure if it would be called bad-ass or not, but here is a 98 LS650PW with fender swap, seat swap, apes, tank swap and custom fit semi-rigid bags. Rear lifted via VS800 Intruder or in new speak S50 Boulevard shocks. Has a mix of HD and Honda cables.

One of these days I'll finish painting it.  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:19:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New here, few questions.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.