Send Topic Print
Dirty without fenders? (Read 316 times)
mr. s
YaBB Newbies

Savage Newb

Calgary AB
Dirty without fenders?
05/04/11 at 01:11:12

In my plan to turn my savage into a bobber, I was thinking that I would take off both the front and back fenders. I've never really heard if it gets really dirty or wet.

What are your experiences with taking off the:
Front fender?
Back fender?
Putting on a short back fender?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Dirty without fenders?
Reply #1 - 05/04/11 at 04:10:45

Ive had oily sand hit me in the chin even With my front fender on it. NO ay would I ride w/o a front fender.

Hit a wet road & see the rooster tail sling right up the middle of the back if you dont have a rear fender. Me? I like fenders, they keep things off of me. I like the bobber Look, but I dont want the crap that they deflect flinging all over..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #2 - 05/04/11 at 05:46:06

Yep, yer gonna get dirty.  If ya only ride on nice days, then it's not generally too bad, but there will definitely be some grit in your teeth and up your..... ahem, backside.

I'd also suggest keeping the back fender for safety reasons.  That rear wheel is just itchin' to grab your jacket, wallet chain, baggy jeans or what have you.  If you've ever run a solo seat, you've probably found yourself between the back of your seat and the rear fender at least once, and if you have no fender, well.....  Ouch.  Some seats have a pretty large curve on them (like the BCB seats or Redtail Leather, which are pretty darn sweet, by the way) which helps to limit front to back travel of your butt, so if you run so rear, I'd strongly suggest picking one up despite the cost, which is anywhere from $200 to $290+ for the brands mentioned.

I've run no front before, as I really dig the look, and it's not too bad if you have a full face helmet or ride bandito style; a helmet, glasses or goggles and a bandana covering your lower face.  I've never run no rear fender, and don't think I'm ever going to.

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - 05/04/11 at 06:07:40

Aw, come on, man, aren't bobbers supposed to be a throwback to the days of leather helmets, goggles, bugs and mud, when men were men and dirt was food?

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/04/11 at 06:13:55

Yea, when I first got he bike, I rode with an open face helmet & goggles, till I stopped a few bugs with my cheek bones & I s the light on face protecting helmet, thanks to Mike at MPH in Houston. He's the one who told me I want wearing enough helmet. Im sure glad I listened to him.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #5 - 05/04/11 at 07:09:32

I run with no front fender but I have the rear, although not original. I dont ride in the rain but yea, stuff do fly off the front from time to time. I live with it and ride with open face.

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #6 - 05/04/11 at 08:50:27

MotoBuddha wrote on 05/04/11 at 06:07:40:
Aw, come on, man, aren't bobbers supposed to be a throwback to the days of leather helmets, goggles, bugs and mud, when men were men and dirt was food?

Sure.  I was only speaking to my experiences, and giving a couple of suggestions.  

All I'm sayin' is that I have personally planted my arse between solo's and the back tin after hittin' a pothole or bump enough times to know that the rear fender is the only thing what kept me able to make babies.  All on friends bikes, mind you, so it might not be a common problem for people who aren't me.  

I'm also not running a front fender right now, 'cuz like I said, I dig the look.  And yup, I get some grit with my lunch most days.  No biggie.

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #7 - 05/04/11 at 10:31:38

Right now they are repaving (good thing) & resurfacing (not good, tar & loose gravel). No fenders = covered in crap. I added to my front fender to help keep it off the frame & engine. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 05/04/11 at 13:58:52

This is not worth starting a new thread, so I'll hijack yours. For those without fenders and a dirty engine case (front and bottom) I use Armor All wheel cleaner and a GI type bristle brush. Makes the case like new. Be careful to keep it off your clearcoat--it may harm it. Thanks for the space.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
mr. s
YaBB Newbies

Savage Newb

Calgary AB
Reply #9 - 05/04/11 at 15:02:11

What about a half back fender? Will it solve the problem, or just make it a little better?

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #10 - 05/04/11 at 18:16:42

I ran no front fender for a while, first time it rains or the road is even remotely wet you will hate it. it also provides bracing support. mine's black so it's hardly noticeable.
pretty much anything shorter than a stock rear will give you a skunk stripe up the back, but thats more forgivable than getting crud in your face.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/05/11 at 12:36:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/04/11 at 04:10:45:
Ive had oily sand hit me in the chin even With my front fender on it. NO ay would I ride w/o a front fender.

Hit a wet road & see the rooster tail sling right up the middle of the back if you dont have a rear fender. Me? I like fenders, they keep things off of me. I like the bobber Look, but I dont want the crap that they deflect flinging all over..

its true! and its the SMALL price you pay for riding a bobber
i wouldnt do it any other way
unless its a cafe!
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304297812

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #12 - 05/05/11 at 18:19:02

Gack! I have no fenders on my Mt. bike and when it rains it's a mess!

I couldn't imagine riding the S40 without fenders.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 05/05/11 at 19:13:06

Sit backwards on your seat (while parked...) and look at the back of your bike,...
...if you can see tire, then the mud can see you... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #14 - 05/05/11 at 22:07:31

I have never ridden a mc without fenders,
well at least not yet..
I did ride a bicycle without them, even
went thru the mudpuddles..
Oh yes had the streak up the back.
Due to that is one reason, I prefer
fenders. I do like the look of the 1/2 fender
that Serowbot and, a couple others on here
have.   Smiley Kim

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 00:14:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dirty without fenders?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.