Send Topic Print
The Project: Phase 3 (Read 3025 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Re: The Project: Phase 3
Reply #90 - 06/22/11 at 20:41:00

Gyrobob wrote on 06/22/11 at 19:37:10:
ralfyguy wrote on 06/04/11 at 10:21:39:
I tried to get this apart the other day, but I couldn't get the screws to budge. Angry

Is the screws M4?

ralfyguy, please see reply #62 of the Double Ryca Build.  There are some pics there that show a technique we used to get those screws loose without destroying them.  You are right!! Those things seemed like they were welded in there.  Just use a punch on the side of the head of the screw and tap moderately.  AFter several taps, tap on the other side of the screw.  Soon you'll see it move a tiny bit,... that means they are "unwelded" enough to use a screwdriver.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, but I got them loose now. I used a "2 phillips screwdriver and ground the tip flat a bit more. That allows the blades to get more connection with the slots. It's not a perfect fit, but it worked with enormous pressure applied. I just pushed my upper body against it, holding the screwdriver with both hands. Then carefully applied pressure to the right and left, alternating a few times and bang, they broke loose. Key is the pressure, to not let the blade cam out.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #91 - 06/22/11 at 21:41:49

This is weird, because I had no problems with any of the carb screws. Maybe the years of  neglect made a difference.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #92 - 06/23/11 at 01:13:51

paint color is pretty sweet. what type of graphics are you considering?

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #93 - 06/24/11 at 09:24:21

Here's my current thinking, subject to change. I designed this logo for the side covers. My initials are AC and I was "established" in 1952. The brown would be the same color as the frame.

Here's a very rough mockup of what it will look like on the bike. I'd pick up the dark red for pin striping.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #94 - 06/24/11 at 09:28:00

Love it!!!! Nice work sir!! That's a really cool logo.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #95 - 06/24/11 at 09:35:39

I like your color combo choice, and I think the pinstriping would be a perfect touch.  The logo is cool.  I think alot of folks will ask you what AC means.  Definitely agree those side covers need "something" though.

One creative dude you are!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #96 - 06/24/11 at 09:48:18

looks good
you have good attention to the little detail items like the carb top

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #97 - 06/24/11 at 11:42:39

Here's another idea. The side cover is about the size of a number plate, so...

9, because this is my ninth bike -- though here in NASCAR country, they'll think it's for Marcos Ambrose.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #98 - 06/24/11 at 12:14:42

OOOOHHHHH I'm a number fan! I vote for the number! You could get a matching helmet with number 9 on it.

IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #99 - 06/24/11 at 13:28:13

Number on one side, Logo on the other

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #100 - 06/24/11 at 14:05:25

I like that too! or logo on top of tank, numbers on both sides

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #101 - 06/24/11 at 18:45:59

I've been trying to figure out a way to supplement the rear turn signals. Even if the integrated lights in the kit pass inspection, I'd rather have something further from center.

The bar-end signals I'll use face front and rear, but I think they might be at least partially blocked by my arms or torso.

If the license plate didn't need to be nearly horizontal, I could use a frame with built-in signals.

I could make one of those brackets that bolts on the back of the license plate to hold any sort of aftermarket signals, but the trick is to do it in a way that hides all the bolts and wires, since you'll see the bottom of the plate pretty much edge on.

It would be cool if I had the engineering and fab skills to make signals that tucked under the tail but flipped down and outward when needed.

I've thought about molding LED strips along the bottom of the tail, or even cutting channels so they could be molded flush. Or maybe the same general idea along the back edge of the side covers.

I don't know. I'm leaning toward mounting small super bright lights to the bottom back edge of the seat pan, or the battery box, or somewhere in the general area. I'll be able to figure out more once I get the frame back and I can start putting things together.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
T2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Frederick, CO
Reply #102 - 06/24/11 at 18:46:21

Number plate is awesome.  What we really need to do is get rid of the side stand extensions/ wood block, cinder block, whatever.  Do they really lean over that far?  If so, my running leap onto the saddle as I escape the crime scene is gonna be problematic.
Terry

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #103 - 06/24/11 at 18:55:23

I'm not too thrilled with the way the ignition/idiot light plate mounts to the tank. The rubber trim isn't an attractive solution.  I'm going to talk with my painter guy about welding it in place and then filling the joint. Hurray for Bondo.

Does anyone know how much of that lip can be cut down without breaking through into the tank? On the other hand, we'd have the welder out, so...

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #104 - 06/24/11 at 19:54:18

MotoBuddha wrote on 06/24/11 at 18:55:23:
I'm not too thrilled with the way the ignition/idiot light plate mounts to the tank. The rubber trim isn't an attractive solution.  I'm going to talk with my painter guy about welding it in place and then filling the joint. Hurray for Bondo.

Does anyone know how much of that lip can be cut down without breaking through into the tank? On the other hand, we'd have the welder out, so...

Haa! Already thought about that too. Gotta figure out how to pressure test the tank after welding before any bondo action.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 03:34:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The Project: Phase 3

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.