Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Riding 2 up (Read 125 times)
Russ130

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Riding 2 up
04/30/11 at 09:15:25

Well just starrted riding 2 up now that I passed my license road test. One thing I notice right away is the bike feels alot smaller. The power is still ok and so far I've had it up to 80 with a passenger with still more to go. Now the mirrors are hard to use if not even almost useless. I have buckhorn style handlebars which I think I will definately need to be replaced very soon. I also noticed the brakes are quite as effective to the point where downshifting is really the way to go. I still have to air up the rear tires for 2 up and adjust the rear springs so I'm not going to comment on those areas until I do. Overall though my impression is this bike is better for one person than 2.

IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Re: Riding 2 up
Reply #1 - 04/30/11 at 09:24:48

motor really dont care IF theres 2 ppl or not! it will still kick some butt!! My kid STILL out runs mine with 2 ppl on his! and its a year older than mine!  Smiley

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/30/11 at 18:33:23

Just make sure the passenger knows to sit straight up. My daughter leaned left to check traffic for me & put me in the oncoming lane.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 04/30/11 at 19:53:41

As JOG2 said educate your passenger. The rules for a passenger are sit straight, lean slightly as they feel the driver lean in curves, and keep your feet on the pegs and be still at stops. I also believe this bike is more for one person, not because of power, but the size of the seat. Anything other than a small rider pushes me too far forward. But I do have a bad back. so I feel it more. Enjoy your Savage.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Russ130

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/03/11 at 05:04:03

Aired up the tire and adjusted the rear shock to pos #5. Gotta say even riding single I like this setup better. Riding 2 up with these settings is drastic improvement. First no bottoming out every time you hit a bump. Second the rear end is much more solid through the turns and if you happen to catch a small groove in the road.

IP Logged
Silly Ogre

Former S40 Owner

Stuarts Draft VA
Reply #5 - 05/03/11 at 10:26:56

I adjusted the shocks and moved the back rest about 4 inches back. I felt like I was sitting on the tank when ever I had a 2nd person onboard. I also have Ed L's 4inch forward controls which helped even more for 2 up riding. I moved the back rest back by just relocating the mounts back further but still mounting safely. This was a major improvement. I notice the power loss with a second person but I am not trying to win a race anyways. I take my wife and her friends for rides all the time....

2009 V-Star Classic 650...Silly Ogre is what one of my twin daughters call me...Guess I remind her of Shrek LOL...
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 05/03/11 at 15:31:00

I agree with Silly Orge, the Ed L. Forwards help in the 2-Up riding.  

When I first got my Savage, my son was 13.  He fit real easily behind my 5'10" frame.  Well, he then went to High school and played Freshman football as a linemen.  Needless to say, he and I no longer fit on it.  It's the reason why I'm a FSO.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:57:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Riding 2 up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.