Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb mods for RYCA project (Read 182 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Carb mods for RYCA project
04/30/11 at 09:04:24

How should we mod the carbs?

While we are waiting for the rest of the RYCA stuff to show up, we're doing several "tidy-up" projects so the finished project will be more like a new bike than an eighth-of-a-century old Savage with some new pieces on it.

Soon I'm about to freshen up the carbs, so I want to do some of the frequently recommended mods I've read about here while they are apart.

The only engine mods as part of the RYCA project will be the RYCA exhaust and the K&N air filter.

I know that even if I were just rebuilding a carb for a stock LS650, I'd want to do the white spacer mod, and re-jet, but I'm hoping to take advantage of all the real-world experiences the SuzukiSavage.com community has in modding these carbs.

So,... how should I change around the carbs to work better with the new parts?  
     - What to do with the white spacer?
     - What jets to use, main and otherwise?
     - Take the cover off the idle jet and adjust it?
     - Adjust any of the springs inside?
     - What parts are normally replaced in a typical rebuild?

Hopefully, with your expert inputs, I can put together a basic list of things to do to the carbs to get them tuned more for the new filter and exhaust, and to correct for the overly-lean tuning of the stock setup.

Thanks much in advance,

Bob

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: Carb mods for RYCA project
Reply #1 - 04/30/11 at 10:14:59

Ryca has a carb mod video up on YouTube. The kit includes a selection of jets, a couple of washers to replace the white spacer, and their tuning suggestions.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 04/30/11 at 22:12:10

oh

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 05/01/11 at 07:12:16

I would not mod anything unless I had evidence that it needs modding, and then mod only the speed circuit that needs modding.

Contrary to popular belief, many of these bikes,.....even the later s-40s run fine stock as a clock.
Running a less restrictive filter, is not a reason to mod the carb.
Running a much more open exhaust may be a reason, unless you happen to be running in higher elevation.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #4 - 05/01/11 at 07:26:34

Evidence?

The fact the exhaust turns blue is evidence it's running too lean.

The popping on deceleration is evidence it's running too lean.

EPA regulations are evidence the bikes are intentionally set up very lean.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 05/01/11 at 08:02:23

MotoBuddha wrote on 05/01/11 at 07:26:34:
Evidence?

The FACT still is,
Quote: Contrary to popular belief, many of these bikes,.....even the later s-40s run fine stock as a clock.

If you think pipe blueing is proof its running lean, you are wrong ! Just the residue from some types of cleaners can cause severe blueing, not to speak of the quality of some chrome.

You also seem to think that all carbs are identical,...wrong again.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 05/01/11 at 08:34:18

All carbs from the factories have been lean for the last 25 years or so,Go up one size richer jet on the high and low jets even if everything else is stock.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 05/01/11 at 15:27:46

Routy, I'm not sure the filter supplied by RYCA is less restrictive.  If you check out the analyses done by folks other than those interested in selling K&N stuff, the issue is at least up for debate.

I am fairly convinced, however, that usually the bikes come from the factory on the lean side; and that the factory exhaust is significantly more restrictive than the shorty megaphone supplied by RYCA.

So, I can see the value in going to richer mixtures in incremental steps.  I suppose I'll use the jets supplied by RYCA as a starting point (and hopefully an ending point).

On a related subject, I noted when I tried to find carb rebuild kits on the internet, they were available for 1986-2001, but nothing mentioned for 2002.  My partner in this RYCA project has a 2000, but mine is a 2002.  

Did something in the carb change in 2001?

Where do I find a carb rebuild kit (o-rings, float valve, gasket etc.) for a 2002?

Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/01/11 at 15:45:01

other than main and pilot, there are several jets in the carb that we don't mess with.  Those have changed over the years.  Most mfr's will not certify that it fits unless they've checked it out.

Other than that, all year carbs are the same.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 05/01/11 at 16:12:46

Routy wrote on 05/01/11 at 08:02:23:
MotoBuddha wrote on 05/01/11 at 07:26:34:
Evidence?

The FACT still is,
Quote: Contrary to popular belief, many of these bikes,.....even the later s-40s run fine stock as a clock.
If you think pipe blueing is proof its running lean, you are wrong ! Just the residue from some types of cleaners can cause severe blueing, not to speak of the quality of some chrome.
You also seem to think that all carbs are identical,...wrong again.

True some stock bikes run fine, just as true, some do not.
There's at least 1 story of the owner pulling the plug to find that the idle mixture screw was turned all the way in.  And we all know that adjusting it can be difficult.
Add in mfg tolerances and blue mondays and you get brand new savages that kerpow from day 1.
And MB is talking about overheat blueing and you know that.  You don't have to get high and mighty to expand on it.  Overheat blueing is a pretty serious issue.  Besides requiring a lot of elbow grease and blue job to fix, it can burn the pistons and valves leading to premature death of the savage.
Personally I do kinda wince when it is suggested that to go up to a 55 and 155 jets w/o any testing beforehand, but they have the experience with the actual components involved.  Just hope the written instructions are clear enough to show when leaner jets are needed.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 05/01/11 at 19:31:04

Quote:
And MB is talking about overheat blueing and you know that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I do ?
If a header is blueing from combustion chamber overheating, the plug will show it.
IMO,......have evidence, like bad running, or bad plug read before hacking a carb. It could keep the less exerienced out of a ot of trouble.
Others opinions may differ.

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:22:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb mods for RYCA project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.